cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account gets logged into the Community automatically even though option is not checked in settings

I asked this question in a weekly chat several weeks ago (June 12), and @Anonymous  promised to look into it and get back to me. However, I have not been contacted about this at all, and I haven't received any answer. It's still happening.

I can't attend the weekly chats very often because the time is inconvenient. So I haven't been able to follow up there, and I can't even send Trinton a message. So the only way I can try to get this looked into is by posting about it again, and this seemed the most appropriate board to post on.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Community-Chat-June-12-1-00-pm-PT-General-Topics/m-p/29918560#M19694

image.png

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Account gets logged into the Community automatically even though option is not checked in settin

Lace, have you cleared cookies and browser history since you made the 'Site preferences' change?

eBay is continually updating this site. Some advice given may have changed. Please reply to this thread, to let us know if this advice works for you. The links on the bottom of any eBay page can help you deal with most eBay issues. Contact eBay Customer Service on Facebook.com/eBay or Twitter.com/AskeBay
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: Account gets logged into the Community automatically even though option is not checked in settin

Hi @dollybeauty! Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't let my browsers store login information, as a general security precaution. And I don't think I have ever had the box checked to login automatically to the community, for the same reason. So it's not that I changed it recently.

Nevertheless, I did try your suggestion. I tried it on the two computers I use most often. I also tried both accounts in both Chrome and Firefox (normally, I use one browser exclusively for each account).

I was still logged in automatically, so this was not the reason for the problem, nor the fix.

@Anonymous can you please let me know the status of rootcausing and finding a fix for this?

I have now determined that both accounts are logging in to the community automatically, it just displays a bit diffferently in the two browsers.

Chrome: If I am logged in to my eBay account, and come to the Community while logged in, then I am logged in automatically and it displays the account that was logged in to eBay as already logged in to the community from the first page load.

Firefox: If I am logged in to my eBay account and come to the Community while logged in, then it appears as though I am not logged in to the Community. However, if I click to login, it immediately shows me as being logged in with the account that was logged in to eBay, without asking me to (or giving me the chance to) enter my password.

So in both Chrome and Firefox, and with both my accounts, the eBay Community is grabbing my eBay login cookie and using it to log me in to the Community.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I believe that is intentional behavior, and mentioned here sometime in the past - the site setting is ignored now.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You may be right. How annoying if so.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

doug@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi @lacemaker3, @Anonymous had asked me to look into this and I didn't get a chance to.

So, a Community account is associated with an eBay account, as you know. They are supposed to log out now and again, so it's odd that the one account never logs out.

I believe the Community settings are overridden by our process that associates a Community account with an eBay account.

I don't think we'd be able to set something to where you'd have to log in each time, unless you used a private browser session.

I will see what I can find out.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Hi doug@ebay, thanks for looking into this. I really do appreciate that you are looking into this.

I am very frustrated at this point, and am spending much less time on eBay as well as in the eBay community because of this. You will have to forgive me if I don't believe that eBay (as a whole) or the community team in general ( alan@ebay in particular as the leader of the Community team) actually cares about this. I would be delighted if you (Alan or anyone on the community team) would prove me wrong about this by getting the problem fixed. I will apologize publicly if you prove me wrong. 

doug@ebay wrote:

Hi @lacemaker3, @Anonymous had asked me to look into this and I didn't get a chance to.

So, a Community account is associated with an eBay account, as you know. They are supposed to log out now and again, so it's odd that the one account never logs out.

Yes, I always log out of eBay and out of the Community before I close the browser window at any time.  On all accounts. More than once a day, because I change machines more than once a day. Especially because eBay disabled the ability to end orphaned sessions and did not provide any other way to do so, which is definitely not appreciated and is not a positive step for account security (and should never have happened, and should be fixed ASAP).

This problem is not arising because I am lazy and don't log out of my accounts (period, end of sentence). Yes, I am frustrated about this, so don't imply that I am causing this by not being careful or security conscious. I am. Period. End of sentence.

The problem arises when I am logged into my buying account (because I am monitoring expected deliveries, usually) but I need to do some research to support my posting account, to be able to reply to questions here in the community. I usually use Firefox for my posting account, but research is more efficient on google because eBay search is broken, so I usually go to the Chrome window to do research. For example, the only good way to find an eBay policy is by a google search, because the eBay search for policies is {broken} to put it nicely. It is a pain in the {a**} to have to remember to log out of eBay Core on my buying account so that I can do a search for eBay policies in google/Chrome to help someone here in the community.

'...

I believe the Community settings are overridden by our process that associates a Community account with an eBay account.

I don't know what you mean by that.  Please be specific and clear when you make statements like this. 

It appears that the Community website is grabbing my eBay login cookie, despite that my eBay account settings say that the account should not be automatically logged into the community.

How can I state that more specifically or accurately, so that you will understand what the problem is?

I don't think we'd be able to set something to where you'd have to log in each time, unless you used a private browser session.

I just want to have to log into the eBay Community when I come to the community each day, or since the last time I logged out. That is how most websites work: if I am not logged in, then I have to log in before I can access my account.

That's all I want. The eBay community should not hijack my login cookie from eBay. 

I really don't think that is an unreasonable request. That is exactly what you should be doing, now, and always.

Hijacking my login cookie from a different website is a security liability and should not be the modus operandi.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Hi @lacemaker3 I'm sorry you think we don't care about this issue you've brought up, and I didn't mean to imply you weren't being security conscious. I think we do have a difference of opinion here though. This isn't really a problem, it's how the system is intended to work. Community accounts are connected to eBay accounts, it's not a "hijack" issue. When you're logged in, your Community account accesses your eBay account info, that's the way the Community has worked for quite some time.

As far as security, the Community is on https servers, and in speaking with Khoros (formerly Lithium) today, I was assured no account info is stored on their side except for usernames, to help the system verify users that are logged in and users that are not.

It is interesting that one of your accounts stays logged in and one doesn't seem to. Can you give me the username of the buying account so I can look into that?

I should let you know that our log-in and account connection process isn't going to change. It's been this way for quite some time, and it's necessary for the system to be able to distinguish logged in state, and for metrics and other analytics we need and use.

@lacemaker3 wrote:

Hi doug@ebay, thanks for looking into this. I really do appreciate that you are looking into this.

I am very frustrated at this point, and am spending much less time on eBay as well as in the eBay community because of this. You will have to forgive me if I don't believe that eBay (as a whole) or the community team in general ( alan@ebay in particular as the leader of the Community team) actually cares about this. I would be delighted if you (Alan or anyone on the community team) would prove me wrong about this by getting the problem fixed. I will apologize publicly if you prove me wrong. 

doug@ebay wrote:

Yes, I always log out of eBay and out of the Community before I close the browser window at any time.  On all accounts. More than once a day, because I change machines more than once a day. Especially because eBay disabled the ability to end orphaned sessions and did not provide any other way to do so, which is definitely not appreciated and is not a positive step for account security (and should never have happened, and should be fixed ASAP).

This problem is not arising because I am lazy and don't log out of my accounts (period, end of sentence). Yes, I am frustrated about this, so don't imply that I am causing this by not being careful or security conscious. I am. Period. End of sentence.

The problem arises when I am logged into my buying account (because I am monitoring expected deliveries, usually) but I need to do some research to support my posting account, to be able to reply to questions here in the community. I usually use Firefox for my posting account, but research is more efficient on google because eBay search is broken, so I usually go to the Chrome window to do research. For example, the only good way to find an eBay policy is by a google search, because the eBay search for policies is {broken} to put it nicely. It is a pain in the {a**} to have to remember to log out of eBay Core on my buying account so that I can do a search for eBay policies in google/Chrome to help someone here in the community.

'...

I don't know what you mean by that.  Please be specific and clear when you make statements like this. 

It appears that the Community website is grabbing my eBay login cookie, despite that my eBay account settings say that the account should not be automatically logged into the community.

How can I state that more specifically or accurately, so that you will understand what the problem is?

I just want to have to log into the eBay Community when I come to the community each day, or since the last time I logged out. That is how most websites work: if I am not logged in, then I have to log in before I can access my account.

That's all I want. The eBay community should not hijack my login cookie from eBay. 

I really don't think that is an unreasonable request. That is exactly what you should be doing, now, and always.

Hijacking my login cookie from a different website is a security liability and should not be the modus operandi.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

doug@ebay wrote:

Hi @lacemaker3 I'm sorry you think we don't care about this issue you've brought up, and I didn't mean to imply you weren't being security conscious. I think we do have a difference of opinion here though. This isn't really a problem, it's how the system is intended to work. Community accounts are connected to eBay accounts, it's not a "hijack" issue. When you're logged in, your Community account accesses your eBay account info, that's the way the Community has worked for quite some time.

Sorry, but that is not true. If this was how it is supposed to work, then there would not be a setting on my eBay account to prevent this from happening. 

Your justification does not hold water. It does not need to be this way. 

I understand that the Community needs to access my eBay account for some things, that is not the issue. I don't want to be logged in to the Community automatically. I want to have to enter my password. That is how it should work, and there is no reason why the Community can't be perfectly functional that way.

doug@ebay wrote:

It is interesting that one of your accounts stays logged in and one doesn't seem to. Can you give me the username of the buying account so I can look into that?

You should reread the post you replied to and quoted for more information on this.

doug@ebay wrote:

I should let you know that our log-in and account connection process isn't going to change. It's been this way for quite some time, and it's necessary for the system to be able to distinguish logged in state, and for metrics and other analytics we need and use.

No, it is not necessary. You can and should require users to log in to the community, and then you can access the information you need from their eBay accounts. If a user chooses to disable the login requirement, that should be their choice.

Last straw.

I will not be here in the Community again unless I choose to log in. I am perfectly capable of making this happen myself. I have been doing so since I posted this.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply