cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh, Oh...

Yesterday I read of a brand new scam going on.  Scam buyers are making good on their threats: Pay them money or they will trash the sellers' stores/sites.  They buy, then leave bad feedbacks/reviews and of course not pay.  One seller ignored the message and sure enough, they went through with the threat.

Are the Bots ready?  Are WE ready?  Are they here yet?  How long?  Are there sellers dealing with it and just not on these boards yet?

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Oh, Oh...

I so agree with you but I was wanting the news to get out before it got pulled.  I've had issues without being wrong so I'm chicken at times.  

And I remembered the professional term for it!  Can I spell Blackmail?  Like I said, I hope it fades away soon.

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

Hi @buyologist-3 

This scam only endangers sellers who don't give buyers nonpayment strikes.  [A nonpayment strike keeps both parties from leaving the other feedback.]

If the buyer leaves neg/neutral feedback before the seller cancels with a strike ... the feedback will EITHER be removed automatically OR by contacting eBay.

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

Yes, it's Et$y and I haven't heard about whether it's spreading to other sites yet or not. 

Thanks for the link! 

This hasn't been pulled, so thanks for that. 

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

It would have been really good if you had mentioned in your original post that "it's Etsy" and you've not yet heard of spreading to other sites.  

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

I've got my tin foil hat on! I am ready!! 

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

You must have read it on the internet ?  This is ebay not Etsy, wrong site. Here at Ebay if a buyer doesn't pay they cannot leave negative feedback.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

@forward-motion wrote:

I've got my tin foil hat on! I am ready!! 

Okay thats pretty funny

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

You must have read it on the internet ?  This is ebay not Etsy, wrong site. Here at Ebay if a buyer doesn't pay they cannot leave negative feedback.

If it happens on Etsy it could easily happen here or anywhere.  And you need to read the article, which has been posted. Good grief - people need to at least be aware of what is happening around them.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 23 of 33
latest reply

If a buyer does not pay, Then another customer will not be able to buy that item, right? I had to face the same problem.

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

Thank You!

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

@buyologist-3 wrote:

I'm not sure how to state it clearer.  But I have some chocolate, I'll share it with you!  It's dark chocolate, is that OK?  Yummmmmmmmm!

If katz doesn't want it, I'll take it.........

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 26 of 33
latest reply

@ayanthi54  That is another reason I advised you to forget the Auctions - use Fixed Payment with IPR.

If you do have non paying bidders/buyers:

If a buyer hasn’t paid within 4 days, on the 5th day you can go to your Seller Hub to cancel the transaction using the “Buyer hasn't paid” reason and this gives the buyer a strike and you can relist. In future to have eBay automatically cancel your transactions due to non-payment:

Go here:   https://www.ebay.com/Cancel/Preference/UnpaidPurchase                                     

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 27 of 33
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

If it happens on Etsy it could easily happen here or anywhere.  

I did read it. Good grief, did you even bother to read that I said Ebay will remove the negative feedback ?  I am sure that that is a very rare circumstance and if it happened here Ebay would take care of the seller. Cyber threats happen everywhere.

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

Buyer cannot threaten sellers on here by coercing them into paying  them off for a good review or to take off a bad review. That is blatant extortion.

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

Can't see the threat being effective here since they would have to pay for the items to be able to leave the feedback..........and that would leave a paper trail.......

Message 30 of 33
latest reply