cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let Me Get This Straight..

Ebay will not allow me to sell an Americana salt and pepper shaker set from the 1950s that shows a black man and woman dressed in an Aunt Jemima outfit, BUT WILL allow all types of Nazi memorabilia and coins? Ebay's excuse is the salt an pepper shaker set is offensive, yet the death of millions of people at the hands of the Nazis is not. Absolutely unbelievable! EBAY is racist. Why, because they make racism by declaring racisms. It is a salt and pepper set. Who cares that it has black people?  I don't see rednick figurines being called racist.  If you want racism to go away, then stop talking about it. The CEO and board are absolutely clueless and apparently very WOKE.  IF they are into Woke, then maybe they are into Cancel. Ridiculous. 

Message 1 of 210
latest reply
209 REPLIES 209

Re: Let Me Get This Straight..

"Ebay has not caught up to them yet" That should be the new ebay company Logo!!

Message 16 of 210
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

The last confederate flag I bought, which you cannot list on eBay, oddly enough I purchased in a shop at a national park. Go figure. 

What year was that, and at what National Park? 

Message 17 of 210
latest reply

It is unfortunate that items like these salt shakers are considered offensive. Just like the pancake syrup whose name was changed …it was history.  We need to never clean up history, just learn from up. 

Message 18 of 210
latest reply

@swhmetta 

"If you want racism to go away, then stop talking about it."

Interesting proposition.

And totally impossible, given the inherent built-in bias of historic & cultural context, particularly of the salt and pepper shakers which you have been attempting to list.

It is unrealistic to claim a "level playing field for everybody," when the previous "rules in place" have been heavily handicapped against everyone who is not in a position of power.

Perhaps the distinction which eBay is attempting to make between Nazi memorabilia and "Jim Crow" Black Americana, is that "Jim Crow" materials are rooted in American race hatred, while the vast number of  Nazi items were manufactured outside the United States -- and eBay is an American-based company, which chooses not to promote American products which promote anti-Black bias.

The "Offensive Materials Policy" established by eBay may seem to be full of holes; but the easiest method to be in compliance with the policy is simply not to attempt to "tweak"  the policy in the first place.

There are plenty of other venues upon which you can list your "Jim Crow" items.  Just not on eBay.

Message 19 of 210
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

It is unfortunate that items like these salt shakers are considered offensive. Just like the pancake syrup whose name was changed …it was history.  We need to never clean up history, just learn from up. 

Another part of history is our Constitution, which gives private entities the ability to determine what activity is appropriate on their property.

Message 20 of 210
latest reply

@luckythewinner 

I believe you are interpreting the constitution, it doesn’t say that verbatim. The constitution is very brief 

Message 21 of 210
latest reply

Does anybody ever think that listing these types of stereotypical,racist, items would be offensive and hurtful to Ebays Black buyers? I think Ebay does the right thing with removing these items.Even changing the picture on the syrup bottle is the right thing to do. Aunt Jemima was a slave,and thats offensive to a large segment of the population.Im sure Blacks dont have to be reminded of their history.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 22 of 210
latest reply

eBay does not do a lot of the item reviews or catch all of them. They leave a lot of it up to the users like you. REPORT A USER OR ITEM.  and that makes for a wicked battle ground. Dealers can report you.

,and some  folks have nothing better too do.

Funny thing about  Aunt Jemima. they tried placing DOLLY PARTON on the Pan Cake boxes. Now there is a big change of heart and want their Aunt back.

Message 23 of 210
latest reply

@rapidreplay 

"Funny thing about  Aunt Jemima. they tried placing DOLLY PARTON on the Pan Cake boxes. Now there is a big change of heart and want their Aunt back."

The Dolly Parton Pancake Mix is marketed by Duncan Hines, and NOT the current owner of what used to be marketed as Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix (which is now Pepsico).

So not a legitimate argument.

Message 24 of 210
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@swhmetta wrote:

The CEO and board are absolutely clueless and apparently very WOKE.  IF they are into Woke, then maybe they are into Cancel. Ridiculous. 

What is your understanding of what the term 'woke' means?

@swhmetta : What is your understanding of what the term 'woke' means?

Message 25 of 210
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

The last confederate flag I bought, which you cannot list on eBay, oddly enough I purchased in a shop at a national park. Go figure. 

What year was that, and at what National Park? 

Not 100% sure either 2022 or 2023 and Manassas Battlefield Park. 

Message 26 of 210
latest reply

Does anybody ever think that listing these types of stereotypical,racist, items would be offensive and hurtful to Ebays Black buyers? I think Ebay does the right thing with removing these items.Even changing the picture on the syrup bottle is the right thing to do. Aunt Jemima was a slave,and thats offensive to a large segment of the population.Im sure Blacks dont have to be reminded of their history.

Everything is offensive to somebody or some organization. 

Message 27 of 210
latest reply

Not sure if this is still the case, but I was told awhile back that when the search bots flag such items, it still goes through human review. Unfortunately, if that were the case, many of those individuals are neither historians, nor do they even live in this country. I could see where this could present a number of problems between policy standards and social or racial interpretation. 

Message 28 of 210
latest reply

Censorship is a part of the culture of the Internet.

If you have any doubt, you can consider the ability Elon Musk has shown he can create by buying a major social media platform.

Before Musk, every large site was operating in lockstep as to what they censored, and the bots begat bots who gave priority in the use of CPU cycles to censoring the same items, even when there were many items which were also viewed as equally offensive.

I believe in self-censorship, and not offering anything which does not reflect its time of creation in a historical context. If it offends today, it serves a valuable lesson in what the past was like. Though there are many items I would only sell to true collectors and not in public.

I recognize that I cannot offer anything which is not sanitized and revisionist on Ebay or Amazon or many other sites. The lost business opportunity is trivial compared to the detriment the removal does in history and intellectual rigor. Everything must target the lowest common denominator.

On the other hand, the restriction on our history limits the market for it to people who may be as extreme as the worst snowflakes.

Message 29 of 210
latest reply

"Everything is offensive to somebody or some organization." 

Why offend and hurt any Ebay buyer as these racist items are bound to do?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 30 of 210
latest reply