cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Rate of Returns

Received message from eBay that I have a high rate of returns during the last 12 months. My rate of returns is 4.57% or 36 returns out of 787 orders. However, only half the defects were for not as described, damaged items or items not received. The other half were returned by buyer because they order my mistake, item did not fit or they changed their mind. I offer  returns , buyer pays shipping, and a few free returns. My question, am I missing something or does eBay charge you a defect for every item return. Thanks

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: High Rate of Returns

@buddyboyusa wrote:

Wrong, no eBay escalated claims involved.

@buddyboyusa  and @12345jamesstamps 

You are both right but for different reasons.  James is right in regards to Defects on the Seller Dashboard.  Buddy is right for the numbers represented in the Service Metrics.  My previous post explains this in more detail.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Unfortunately you are absolutely correct and even when it is a return request ruled in your favor. Go figure. 

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

Hows Your Seller Metrics measure up to your “Peers”? Are you being tagged with the 5% additional sell fee already? 

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Goto your Performance Tab in Seller Hub from the drop down menu or the left side bar select seller performance metric. 

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

The problem is they are stacking the deck against a seller once they become very high in returns or late shipment rate. The trigger for the 5%  increase in sellers fee is in either category: when you have 10 or more cases opened by 10 different buyers with in the “Look Back Period” which is 4 or 12 months depending on your sales volume or over 400 transactions or under 400 transactions in each monthly evaluation. Try to wrap your mind around this first before I flood you with more confusing aspects of this seller metrics “whirl pool”

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Each one causes a ding.

Ebay doesn't really have an official name for these dings do they. That's what's also contributing to the confusion as sometimes people incorrectly call them "defects", with myself included.

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

@motionsykness wrote:

The problem is they are stacking the deck against a seller once they become very high in returns or late shipment rate. The trigger for the 5%  increase in sellers fee is in either category: when you have 10 or more cases opened by 10 different buyers with in the “Look Back Period” which is 4 or 12 months depending on your sales volume or over 400 transactions or under 400 transactions in each monthly evaluation. Try to wrap your mind around this first before I flood you with more confusing aspects of this seller metrics “whirl pool”

It is 3 or 12 months.

It is the same way Ebay evaluates sellers from the Seller Dashboard number which is where we get Defects.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Each one causes a ding.

Ebay doesn't really have an official name for these dings do they. That's what's also contributing to the confusion as sometimes people incorrectly call them "defects", with myself included.

That is true for the Service Metrics, but for the Seller Dashboard they have always been known as Defects.  If you view your Seller Dashboard you will see the word Defect.  "Transaction defect rate".  

In the policy pages that explains the Seller Dashboard it also refers to Defects.  

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-standards-policy?id=4347

For the Service Metrics policy page, they do not use the word defects.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-performance-policy/service-metrics-policy...

So for the Service metrics I suppose you can call them anything you want, except for a "defect" as that is specific to the Seller Dashboard.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

Fees are not raised when INR's are very high in service metrics however sellers can lose some TRS perks such as refunding up to 50% if the item is returned used or damaged.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Fees are not raised when INR's are very high in service metrics however sellers can lose some TRS perks such as refunding up to 50% if the item is returned used or damaged.

Just for added info, the following is from the Service Metrics Policy.

Very High 'Item not received' rate

Directly after the evaluation:

• For the shipping categories where you are currently evaluated as Very High, we may add extra time when showing buyers an expected delivery date for your items
  • Funds from your orders may be placed on hold until tracking information shows that the item is on its way to the buyer
  • You may be unable to deduct an amount from the buyer's refund if an item is returned used or damaged

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-performance-policy/service-metrics-policy...

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Refunds for remorse, didn't fit, etc., are NOT counted as defects. They are counted in the overall percentage of returns, but not as a defect. I sell clothing so I know a fair amount about returns.

ETA: Not in the service metrics, but the simple percentage overall.

Properly filed Buyer Remorse claims ARE counted in the Service Metrics.  Ebay says they have allowed for this in the calculations they use to compare us to our peers.  

I've had a number of returns in the last evaluation period, all 'does not fit'.  My level on the Service Metrics graph is "0.0" compared to my peers.

My return rate is 2.35%

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
#NoKing
Message 26 of 28
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Refunds for remorse, didn't fit, etc., are NOT counted as defects. They are counted in the overall percentage of returns, but not as a defect. I sell clothing so I know a fair amount about returns.

ETA: Not in the service metrics, but the simple percentage overall.

Properly filed Buyer Remorse claims ARE counted in the Service Metrics.  Ebay says they have allowed for this in the calculations they use to compare us to our peers.  

I've had a number of returns in the last evaluation period, all 'does not fit'.  My level on the Service Metrics graph is "0.0" compared to my peers.

My return rate is 2.35%

In reality even though its getting more and more difficult by the day to fully conceptualize what reality is eBay probably should take a look at said metrics.  Reason I say that is the numby's  amongst the big retailer Brumby's are like 14% return rates in 2023.  Ba... Ba... Billions of Ba... Ba... Buckaroo's!

Once upon a land in a time far far away Varth Dader tried to date arrange with Suke Likewalker wanting to meet his su... su... Sister Princess Catarina Purrcillapuss on mailintimes day.

Oh boy... I'm all done!  

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

@buddyboyusa 

Service Metrics counts returns against sellers for the following reasons

Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 3.52.43 PM.png

Transaction Defect Rates against sellers for the following reasons

Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 3.47.16 PM.png

Message 28 of 28
latest reply