cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund or not?

I sold a card and for the past week, week & 1/2 it’s showing it’s just sitting at the post office in his town. He left positive feedback but is now saying he didn’t receive the card. Do I refund or tell him no? Wasn’t very valuable a 7-10 dollar card.  I’ve never had this happen yet. Any help would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Refund or not?

@lat_8555 

It's not the Phoenix PO is it? Mine has been sitting somewhere out for delivery for 1 month there, I live in the next state over 😆 🤣

The USPS is a mess.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Refund or not?

What does the tracking say?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Refund or not?

Why would you refund if it's showing at his post office.

What does tracking say?

Have you let him know it's at his post office?

Not enough info here on the situation.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Refund or not?

@lat_8555I would ask them to either go to their local PO and get it or leave a note or ask their USPS carrier if they could find and deliver it. Include an attached pic of the tracking showing it at their USPS. The USPS has been awful with tracking updates.  You can also open a Find missing mail search on USPS - sometimes that jogs the package so it gets delivered or the tracking gets updated.

If you want, you can tell them they need to open an Item Not Received case so they can send the item back to you. Once you get it back, you can issue the refund. If they did receive it, but noticed the tracking shows as not delivered, this would call their bluff.  If they do open a refund request , you can always decide to just refund without providing (and paying for) a return label.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Refund or not?

@lat_8555 

It's not the Phoenix PO is it? Mine has been sitting somewhere out for delivery for 1 month there, I live in the next state over 😆 🤣

The USPS is a mess.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Refund or not?

Welcome to the world of eBay Standard Envelope.  If it's still not showing as "delivered" after more than a week, it never will show as "delivered."  Might as well get that refund in the works before eBay refunds them for you.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Refund or not?

No refund unless the buyer goes through the Ebay Item Not Received process.

Some buyers seem to find the delivery when they need to go "on the record"

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Refund or not?

Anytime there is an issue with the tracking via USPS on a package there are some steps you should take right away.

First go to the USPS website and call up the tracking number and review all the entries.

Second sign up for email notifications to any changes to the tracking.  Click on the down arrow to the right of "Text & Email Updates".  Fill in the info.

This serves to give you up to date info on the movements of the package.  It can be real handy if you end up closing the INR out and refunding the buyer because the item really was lost.  Then if the item gets delivered at a later date, you will be notified.  You can then contact the buyer and let them know you are aware that the item has finally been delivered.  Politely and professionally ask them if they want to repay you for the item and keep it or if they would prefer to return it to you.

If you don't hear anything from the buyer, there really isn't much you can do about pushing this, but you can notify Ebay and see if you can get Ebay to cover it.  Depending on the situation, they may refund you.

Now you need to go and file for a TRACE on the package.

https://usps.my.site.com/emailus/s/

Just fill in the info they ask you.  You will need the buyers address, so make sure you have that info ready when you go to fill in the info.

Make a note of the Tracking claim number as it could be handy later.

Contact your buyer and let them know that you have filed for a Trace on the package and you will keep them fully informed with any information you get from USPS.  Let them know it takes 48-72 hours for them to respond.

If there is an open INR, ALL you communications with the buyer should be done inside the claim.  Even if the buyer emails you in regular Ebay emails, respond in the claim.

There is no reason this should be getting refunded anytime in the next few days.   Ebay will keep an INR minimally if there is movement / tracking entry within the last 7 days.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Refund or not?

It doesn’t show delivered, just shows it’s at his post office. It was shipped standard envelope @$1.12. He left positive feedback already, now he is asking for a refund saying he never got the card. When I go to file a claim it says tracking number is invalid. I’m just really stumped here. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Refund or not?

San Antonio is where he is and the post office. I know the mail is awful. Took almost 3 weeks for a delivery that was coming from a 30 min drive from me!!

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Refund or not?

you can always decide to just refund without providing (and paying for) a return label.

@cstpos 

I don't think that providing a return label is required for an INR claim. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Refund or not?

It was shipped standard envelope....

@lat_8555 

That mail class does not use regular USPS tracking numbers.  Sometime it will show "delivered" and show up a couple of days later (it is only scanned at the sorting centers).  If your buyer files a claim, refund and then file for the insurance.  

Here is another place to check the tracking:

https://www.trackmyshipment.co

Here is what eBay says about the matter: 

From time to time, eBay standard envelope shipments unfortunately may not track all the way through delivery to your buyer. If your buyer opens an “Item Not Received” request, please work with them to issue a refund in a timely manner. In these cases, you may also consider raising a claim to recover your lost funds.

Here is where you file your claim:

https://www.pip-claim.com/PIPClaim/eBayIntClaim/CreateeBayClaim

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Refund or not?

@cstpos wrote:

@lat_8555I would ask them to either go to their local PO and get it or leave a note or ask their USPS carrier if they could find and deliver it. Include an attached pic of the tracking showing it at their USPS. The USPS has been awful with tracking updates.  You can also open a Find missing mail search on USPS - sometimes that jogs the package so it gets delivered or the tracking gets updated.

If you want, you can tell them they need to open an Item Not Received case so they can send the item back to you. Once you get it back, you can issue the refund. If they did receive it, but noticed the tracking shows as not delivered, this would call their bluff.  If they do open a refund request , you can always decide to just refund without providing (and paying for) a return label.

@cstpos 

Is the item at their local PO ready for pick up?

INR = Item NOT received.  So the buyer has nothing to be returned to the seller nor does the seller have any reason to issue a return label to the buyer.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Refund or not?

Refund and file an ESE claim. Follow the steps below.  100% of the time I've received the claim award. 

The protocol states nothing regarding an INR request; instead, you just need to screenshot buyers claim of having not received the item.  Unless, you would rather have an INR Request applied to your service metrics.  Your choice. 

https://www.pip-claim.com/PIPClaim/eBayIntClaim/CreateeBayClaim

Notes_240516_013235_48e.jpg

Message 14 of 14
latest reply