cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer has not contacted me to get their Gaming Virtual Item

I recently made a listing about a virtual item that is from a game and is tradeable. A user has bought my item and then asked them for their in-game name (I sent mine as well) so that I can be friends online so that I can get in a game with them (if you need more context, it is for Roblox, where you need to become friends in order to join the same game lobby). The buyer hasn't responded to my message, so I don't know what to do to contact them. Can anyone help? 

Note: I am new at eBay selling when it comes to these problems.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@harrisonsosa wrote:

Since the buyer has not messaged me in a long time (a week and a bit),  can i cancel the purchase to refund them? If so, what should be the reason i can list   it as (as none of the reasons are specific to my problem)?

brian@ebay 

I would suggest cancelling it using the reason problem with their address.  You can't use the reason the buyer requested it as they didn't.  And the only other option will get your a seller defect.  But I'm sure Brian will confirm the best approach.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I'm not sure that is even something Ebay allows you to sell.

Did you research the policies of Ebay before listing the item?

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/digitally-delivered-goods-policy?id=4...

I don't sell in these categories, so someone else with more knowledge on this may come along to assist you.  But make sure you should be selling these like you are before you get your young selling account sanctioned by Ebay.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Maybe they don't want to be your "friend"?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

From what ive read in ebay, it says , if im not mistaken that i can sell these as long as it isnt a digital code for a game.

Also i am seeing a ton of these similar items being sold on ebay from trusted users so thats why i thought it was okay to do so.

I am still unsure whether or not this is against the policy, even though i read faq and help articles about it. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

If they dont want me to be their friend, how else am i supposed to deliver a virtual item... it makes no sense, plus they purchased it, and my shipment is overdue due to the fact that i have no reply from them.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@harrisonsosa wrote:

From what ive read in ebay, it says , if im not mistaken that i can sell these as long as it isnt a digital code for a game.

Also i am seeing a ton of these similar items being sold on ebay from trusted users so thats why i thought it was okay to do so.

I am still unsure whether or not this is against the policy, even though i read faq and help articles about it. 

IDK, but keep in mind you can't go by what others do.  That does not at all mean they are selling it within the rules of Ebay.  They may just not have gotten caught yet.  But I honestly do not know.

Let's see if we can get some clarification.

tyler@ebay 

brian@ebay 

@Anonymous 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@harrisonsosa wrote:

Any digital item, you have to be approved by Ebay to sell them and you have to own the rights to sell them.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@harrisonsosa wrote:

I recently made a listing about a virtual item that is from a game and is tradeable.

Is the item saleable?

You could end up getting both of your game accounts suspended.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@harrisonsosa wrote:

IDK, but keep in mind you can't go by what others do.  That does not at all mean they are selling it within the rules of Ebay.  They may just not have gotten caught yet.  But I honestly do not know.

Let's see if we can get some clarification.

tyler@ebay 

brian@ebay 

@Anonymous 

Hi @mam98031, I'm happy to clarify 🙂 Virtual items for online games is an exception to our policy. Based on the information provided by @harrisonsosa, it sounds like the virtual game item they listed is OK as far as eBay policy is concerned. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I am not sure if i am eligible for it, but the exclusion in the policy says gaming virtual items.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Since the buyer has not messaged me in a long time (a week and a bit),  can i cancel the purchase to refund them? If so, what should be the reason i can list   it as (as none of the reasons are specific to my problem)?

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@harrisonsosa wrote:

brian@ebay 

I would suggest cancelling it using the reason problem with their address.  You can't use the reason the buyer requested it as they didn't.  And the only other option will get your a seller defect.  But I'm sure Brian will confirm the best approach.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@harrisonsosa wrote:

brian@ebay 

I agree with @mam98031. Since you aren't able to "deliver" the item due to the buyer not responded or following your instructions, I would use the "problem with address" reason when cancelling. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Alright, thanks for the tip. I have now cancelled the item with the reason of the address one.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply