cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Book and Ephemera

Hello to all bibliophiles and purveyors of ephemera. Having a penchant for the literary movements and collecting rare ephemera, have made a few purchases online and have been somewhat disappointed upon receipt of item. Never complained and understand if something is just put in envelope with a stamp, then it is susceptible to damage. What is the best way to ship books and paper for you? Thanks!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Book and Ephemera

When I sold books, almost all of them I shipped in a box.  Only cheap, mass produced throwaway type paperbacks went in bubble mailers.

For paper items I sandwich between heavy cardboard, overwrap with plastic wrap and ship in a poly mailer.  This way they are fully protected and they get tracking.

On another account that sells cheap paper items I do ship them in an envelope with a stamp.  Most of those things are priced in the $5-$7 range with "free" shipping.  I sell far more that way than if I use package shipping with tracking.  Nobody really wants to pay more for shipping than the item is even worth.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Book and Ephemera

If you've received items that were damaged upon receipt, why would you not open item not as described cases?

Have you read the eBay Money Back Guarantee for buyers?  

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Book and Ephemera

I would hesitate to put a collectible book in anything but a box for shipping. For paper ephemera, i usually use the rigid photo mailers. 

Like you, i have been disappointed with some purchases where the item was not protected during shipment.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Book and Ephemera

@bluewate-61 wrote:

Hello to all bibliophiles and purveyors of ephemera. Having a penchant for the literary movements and collecting rare ephemera, have made a few purchases online and have been somewhat disappointed upon receipt of item. Never complained and understand if something is just put in envelope with a stamp, then it is susceptible to damage. What is the best way to ship books and paper for you? Thanks!

It really depends on the value of the item.  For less expensive books I usually just ship in a manila bubble mailer and never once had any problems.  For more expensive books I l opt for a box.   For ephemera it is the same story.  If it is an inexpensive small item then a simple envelope usually will do.  If more valuable the photo mailer usually does just fine.  For larger bits of ephemera then I put it into a poly mailer stiffened with a piece of cardboard which I cannibalize from my empty bubble wrap boxes or other empty large boxes.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Book and Ephemera

When I sold books, almost all of them I shipped in a box.  Only cheap, mass produced throwaway type paperbacks went in bubble mailers.

For paper items I sandwich between heavy cardboard, overwrap with plastic wrap and ship in a poly mailer.  This way they are fully protected and they get tracking.

On another account that sells cheap paper items I do ship them in an envelope with a stamp.  Most of those things are priced in the $5-$7 range with "free" shipping.  I sell far more that way than if I use package shipping with tracking.  Nobody really wants to pay more for shipping than the item is even worth.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Book and Ephemera

Books either ship in a box or are wrapped in cardboard  and then placed in an envelope. Ephemera gets shipped with cardboard backing that extends about a half inch past the edges of the item.

I would suggest that you're concerned about shipping, ask the seller how the item will be shipped before you purchase. If it's not satisfactory, either don't purchase it or ask if they would be willing to ship it in a box for an extra charge.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Book and Ephemera

Two of the poorly mailed items came out of the territories, and one I know was mailed by someone very elderly. I’m just not going to open a case on a postcard with a wonky stamp and packaging . Asking the community what is their protocol for mailing. Most paper and postcards I receive have a cardboard envelope with standard postage. Media mail. When I ship paper , especially books of value, I go the extra mile with ensuring the item arrives safely . Thank you.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Book and Ephemera

For books I have a roll of 24" wide b-flute. Rigid photo mailers for paper.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Book and Ephemera

I always put items in a ziplock bag before putting them in a box or envelope.  I also use cardboard stiffners taped on both sides and/or bubblewrap...  I guess the ziplock is very important in my mind because it protects from moisture/water damage.  I always get positive feedback on how well I pack items.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Book and Ephemera

Thank you very much for responding. Yes I as well have been using the heavier freezer zips for the same reason. I had a buyer comment on the surety of packaging. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Book and Ephemera

Thank you for responding. That seems to be the way most book sellers are shipping.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Book and Ephemera

Thank you. That is an excellent suggestion to insure the piece is fully protected. I appreciate your time. 

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Book and Ephemera

Thank you. This is basically how I am currently shipping and yes indeed people do not want to pay exorbitant fees to ship an item in a small envelope. Thank you for the quote as it certainly strikes a chord. 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Book and Ephemera

Thank you for responding. As I go along this seems to be the general method for paper. Others have mentioned using a zip bag of plastic for further protection. I appreciate your thoughts and ideas. 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Book and Ephemera

Thank you very much for responding. Yes a very rare piece needs more attention indeed, but as previously mentioned, having received a mess in the mail, I try to wrap all as nicely as materials and time allow. I appreciate your response. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply