cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has there been a change in returns?

I am set up to accept returns.  In the past when someone wanted to return an item I was notified.  I then has a chance to respond with "accept"  "offer partial refund" or I was even able to message them to ask more questions.  Now it seems that the system just automatically accepts the return and I have no option to discuss the matter with the customer or negotiate.  I don't think I changed anything but I could have accidentally or perhaps there was an update that I didn't know about.  Help please.  I need to fix this.  It has become a huge pain in the butt.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Go here:

Setting up your return policy | eBay

Sellers need to manually set up return policies and rules.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Also, read the links for sellers on the sidebar.  ------------------------------------>

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

To add to @krazzykats' suggestion, I have my 'RMA Number' box ticked. I think I get to see the case before approving...??  🤔

It's been a long time since I had a Return... if my advice won't help you, I welcome a correction from another poster. Sit tight.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

So if I set up automatic returns, can I set them up for items in categories I don't sell or under $ amounts that are so tiny that essentially no automatic returns could happen?  Would that then prompt everything that doesn't fall into those parameters have to get my approval?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

The RMA# doesn't do anything but ask for your RMA number.  It can still automatically approve a return.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I just recently started to accept 30 day / buyer pay ship returns.... so I am new to all of this.

Recently had my first return for "didn't fit" and it was automatically approved.  I didn't like that.... I would prefer a choice just in case I would rather the buyer just keep it.

I clicked on the link above and I saw that I had a rule in place that said "approve eGD returns automatically."  I never set that up, and I assume it is a default setting when you first set up to allow returns.  Anyone know?

I don't even know that eGD means... LOL.    I clicked on the action bar and turned it off.  Hopefully that means I will have to manually approve returns - as that is what I want.

OP - perhaps you have that "rule" turned on like I did?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@jjddmwi wrote:

I clicked on the link above and I saw that I had a rule in place that said "approve eGD returns automatically."  I never set that up, and I assume it is a default setting when you first set up to allow returns.  Anyone know?

I don't even know that eGD means... LOL. 

Lots Of Love to you too. eGD doesn't exist any more. You had a choice of either a $5 credit or a free return label if your item arrives after the guaranteed date. It was easy to make that happen -- just wait until after the eGD date whenever your item says Available for Pickup because e.g. your PO Box is purposely too small.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@yng1998 

Approved because you accept returns, but I believe at that point with an RMA # required you would be able to choose to just refund if desired, or to communicate with the buyer.  As I understand it, no return label would have been supplied at that time.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I had the # RMA selected.  The only thing it did was ask for an #RMA from me.  I'm not sure what that is but I assume it has to do with shipping to a different address and keeping track of returns for large sellers.  I do accept returns however I don't need everything returned to me to give a refund.  When it comes to buyers remorse I'm okay with an automatic return.  If is anything else I need to be able to chat with the customer.  

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@yng1998 

RMA #....................................  halts the process, allows you to supply a # to match with the return that is coming back.

I do it to, as you would like it, stop the label from being sent automatically. I'm small. I don't need the #.  Like you, I just want control.

With the RMA.......... approved return, but the process stops momentarily, allowing you to determine what you want to do. 1) Communicate with buyer. 2) Go ahead and assign a # so the process continues. 3) Issue a refund closing the return. 4) Supply your own label. 5) Whatever.

RMA # requirement just gives you that control. Still need to proceed within the required time frame.

My most recent return request was halted by the RMA# requirement. Return is still open, but nothing coming back as I was able to educate the buyer on the operation of the item purchased. Buyer is happy. Not going to attempt to educate the buyer on closing the request. Damage is already done.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: