cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making Parts Which Are Missing on HO Trains

Sat 9-22-18 9:44 p.m.

Hi:

I have been writing quite a few posts related to HO trains on the ebay discussion boards (Selling and Bidding & Buying).  In particular, I have been advocating for splint packaging to protect HO locos when they are shipped to buyers.  A kind ebayer told me how to get to the train group.  So here I am.

What follows is one of my inexpensive schemes for making parts and repairing HO locos.

This is a brief overview of how to make parts which are missing on HO Trains (that is, diesel truck side frames, smoke box covers, box car doors, etc.).

For years, I have been taking discarded and broken tool parts and wrapping them in discarded aluminum foil.  This kept the parts from getting lost or getting mixed up with serviceable parts.  In addition to wrapping the parts in foil, I tended to press the foil or mold the foil around the part so I could determine what was inside.  This was very helpful for small diameter springs, where the coils tended to get locked together with other springs.  By the way, slipping a piece of paper,  cardstock or wire inside the springs helps prevent interlocking of the spring coils.

Today, I was thinking about molding aluminum foil around various train parts (for example, diesel truck side frames, smokebox covers, and box car doors).  I used an old toothbrush to help push the foil into position.  While trying to do this, I noticed that the foil had a tendency to tear around sharp or pointed features.  I took another scrap of aluminum foil, coated it with Elmer's School Glue and used the toothbrush to shape an aluminum foil patch.  Then I mopped the surface of the foil with more Elmer's glue and let it dry.  Next, I filled the entire aluminum foil mold with Elmer's School Glue.  I scraped off the excess glue with a discarded razor blade and put the excess glue back in the glue bottle.  That is as far as I have gotten today.  I am now waiting for the glue to dry. 

The next step will be to peel the mold off the dry glue part.  I am not sure if the glue with let go of the aluminum foil.  I can probably use the part as is with the foil on it.  I know it may look rather crude, but it will look better than no part at all.

There is also the possibility that the aluminum mold could be coated with a thin layer of cooking oil before filling up the mold with Elmer's Glue.  The cooking oil could be applied with a small hobby paint brush.  Once the glue has dried and removed from the mold, the part can be washed with water to remove the cooking oil.  This will take some care because water can dissolve the glue.  It might be possible to resuse the mold by applying a little more cooking oil.  

I also tried making a mold for an Athearn box car door.  Molding the foil around the box car door provided a high-resolution copy of the door.  This is probably because the door is relatively flat.

Smoke box covers might be a little tricky if the housing for a light is located on the smoke box cover.  I would suggest making the smoke box cover and then adding a light detail afterwards.

If you want to try this, please consider putting the mold and glue in a safe location where toddlers and pets will not get into it.  

I am not sure how robust the part will be.  Perhaps it could be made from epoxy or a polyurethane resin (clear varnish / paint coating?).

I have experienced considerable success mixing paint to match to original color of various box car doors.  

This might help some of the folks who are trying to maximize the value of items sold on ebay.  

I am eager to see how the parts turn out.  Even if I fail, I will keep experimenting.

I have a couple of A.C. Gilbert (American Flyer) 0-6-0 HO steam locos which are missing the smoke box covers.  I want to see if I can make the parts for these locos.

Well good luck and we will see how things turn out.

ag01

Message 1 of 1
latest reply
0 REPLIES 0