cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authenticity Guarantee & Concerns

So I have read the horror stories of people having their items sent to be authenticated and either receiving a different item, having it lost, etc., etc., (Hold this thought.) 

My understanding is that any deviation from the description is grounds for rejection by the "experts." It seems like that includes a misattribution of metal purity, stone carat, size, or other. Even when it's to the buyers benefit?

Could I state .925 and it come back because it's .970? 14k actually tests as 18k?  I'm concerned because they are very opaque about the reasons why something didn't pass criteria. So they don't disclose reasons for rejection. This is important for obvious reasons. 

In digging deeply into the fine print a couple of things stood out. 

1. If your piece isn't authenticated, Ebay will return it to you if you pay shipping. This seems to be contradicted in other parts of the copy, but it's stated clearly in at least one of the requirements. Seems like a great way for 'Bay to make money on the notion that a piece is not of (sufficient) value and therefore is surrendered in lieu of return shipping costs. 

2. That if GIA (the authenticity people) loses or damages the item that's under review (and which at this point has been SOLD awaiting approval and shipping to buyer) 

That ebay will refund the buyer and won't seek reimbursement from the seller. 

!#@$&!!?

What a DEAL guys!! So we get to lose the item and it's value but the kind folks at Ebay aren't going to CHARGE US AGAIN?!!

Screenshot_20240317-180603~3.png

So, it appears the only factor for something being required to go through "authenticity" review is the price tag. 

Anything over $500 listed in Fine Jewelry or Engagement/Wedding. 

So does that mean that a rare Gerda Monies necklace made of lucite and buffalo horn is not eligible even if the price is $2k? 

Also, there's a list of ineligible "gems" that include pearls, opal, loose diamonds, jade, amber, and quartz

While in the preceding paragraph ALL QUARTZ is eligible and in subsequent paragraphs pearl size color & shape are discussed along with loose diamonds. 

I know this is all over the place, but I have so many questions and reading the available online parameters only raises more. 

If anyone has insight into ways to swerve this madness, (like listing real silver as unknown metal but showing a .925 stamp in the photos or listing under a different category) I'm all ears. 

Also, anyone who has experience with the variables, how the rejection process works, (I said sodalite, but it's lapis, am I rejected? Would they tell me?) and the things to watch out for, that's would be great. 

Finally, are they SERIOUS about the total lack of compensation for lost/damaged jewelry once it's in GIAs hands?!

Add all gripes, additional red flags and tips/advice for navigating the situation below! 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Lol, within just a few hours they have updated the FAQ to show what stones are accepted.  Sodalite is now on the list.  But it looks like whoever did the update just copy pasted the added items over the original list instead of adding to it.  So stones like Ruby annd Emerald are no longer there.

The new list is:

• Gemstone type: Gemstones are not required. However, for items with a main gemstone(s), the gemstone must be one of the following: Andalusite, Apatite, Diopside, Fluorite, Hematite, Iolite, Kyanite, Rhodochrosite, Rhodonite, Opal, Sodalite, Sphene, Spodumene/Kunzite, Pearl, South Sea Pearl, Pearls, Freshwater Pearl, Freshwater Pearls, Freshwater Cultured Pearl, Freshwater, Akoya Pearl, South Sea, Hematite, Sodalite, Rhodolite, Tahitian Pearl, Tahitian, Kyanite, Akoya, Chrome Diopside, Freshwater Cultured Pearl, Rhodochrosite, Diopside Gemstone, Fluorite, Obsidian, Rutile Gemstone, Kunzite, Pearl Diamond, Sodalite Gemstone, Rhodonite, Rutile, Pearl Gemstone, Kunzite Gemstone, Freshwater Pearls, Apatite Gemstone, Rhodochrosite Gemstone, Cultured Pearl, Fluorite Gemstone, Diamond Pearl, Diopside, Iolite Gemstone, conch pearl, clam pearl, keshi pearl, melo melo pearls, edison pearls, biwa pearls, baroque pearls, flame pearls, button pearls, rice pearls, Mother-of-Pearl, saltwater, saltwater pearl, Rhodonite Gemstone, Green Apatite, Blue Kyanite, Neon Blue Apatite, Blue Apatite, Hematite Gemstone, HEMATITE STONE, Neon Apatite, Aqua Apatite Gemstone, Blue Iolite, Dendrite Opal, Dendrite Opal Gemstone, Dendritic Opal, Black Opal, Boulder Opal, Fire Opals, Ethiopian Opal, Fire Opal, Lab Created Fire Opal, Milky Opal, Opal, Opal Gemstone, Opals, Pink Opal, Owyhee Opal, White Opal, Precious Opals, Jelly opal, Crystal opal, Pink opal, Blue opal, Prase Opal, Hydrophane opal, Hyalite opal, Common opal, doublet opal, mabe pearl, nephrite, welo opal Secondary Stone: Any Stone, No Stone, except Ineligible

It will get caught and updated, but it shows a few things.  They are constantly updating and adding to what they are taking into the program.  The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  It would be obvious to someone in the industry that the document is wrong now, but whoever updated the FAQ last night didn't know what they were updating, and were just going to fast.

There's a lot of us on this forum that are happy to answer questions, so always feel free to ask!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

The reimbursement has to go back to you as well I think? If not, that’s a bad situation.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

They forgot to add in there that the reimbursement means they also reinburse you as well as the buyer.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

You think they forgot? 

Then why specify that they won't seek reimbursement from you? 

And that's a huge detail to "overlook." If it's a low value piece, I'm they'll probably reimburse, but if it's quite expensive? They just have to point to the non-consentual  "agreement" you have. 

It's the "no reimbursement necessary" clause that makes me think seller compensation was an intentional omission.  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Lot of questions here, so I'll try and hit as many as possible.

So, it appears the only factor for something being required to go through "authenticity" review is the price tag.  -- Price over 500 and several other factors need  to be met.  Theres a list of metals and gemstones that trigger authentication.

Itseemslike that includes a misattribution of metal purity, stone carat, size, or other.Even when it's to the buyers benefit? Could I state .925 and it come back because it's .970? 14k actually tests as 18k? ---  Haven't run across anything being to the buyers benefit, but if it isn't within the perameters set, I would assume it would come back.

I'm concerned because they are very opaque about the reasons why something didn't pass criteria. So they don't disclose reasons for rejection --- It's true they send a vague reasoning when something fails to authenticate.  You can get ahold of customer service and ask to speak with someone in the authentication department, and get a more detailed reason.

That if GIA (the authenticity people) loses or damages the item that's under review (and which at this point has been SOLD awaiting approval and shipping to buyer)   Thatebay will refund the buyer and won't seek reimbursement from the seller.  --- I've actually gone through this situation.  The authentication center authenticated a ring, and shipped it out through GSL shipping to be delivered.  GSL lost the package.  EBay reimbursed my buyer, and sent a message to me that they refunded the buyer, and that my funds would not be touched.  Pretty straightforward.

So does that mean that a rare Gerda Monies necklace made of lucite and buffalo horn is not eligible even if the price is $2k?  --- Correct.  This example is not made of the materials to be sent to the authentication center.

Also, there's a list of ineligible "gems" that include pearls, opal, loose diamonds, jade, amber, and quartz

While in the preceding paragraph ALL QUARTZ is eligible and in subsequent paragraphs pearl size color & shape are discussed along with loose diamonds.  ---  If you list and item with the stone as "Quartz" it will not go to the authentication center.  If you list as a quartz variety (amethyst, citrine, prasiolite, etc) it will be sent for authentication.

If anyone has insight into ways to swerve this madness, (like listing real silver as unknown metal but showing a .925 stamp in the photos or listing under a different category) I'm all ears. --- I personally wouldnt suggest trying to avoid the system as it will eventually bite you.  Changing karat or purity will avoid the authentication, but it will also destroy your search results.

Also, anyone who has experience with the variables, how the rejection process works, (I said sodalite, but it's lapis, am I rejected? Would they tell me?) and the things to watch out for, that's would be great.  --- If you listed an item as sodalite, it would not go to the authentication center since it's not a covered stone.  However if you switch that scenario up and list as Lapis and it is actually Sodalite, it would be sent back to you.  They would send a message that the main/secondary stone does not match your listing.  If you contact the authentication department, they will give you more detail.  Usually it would be "The authenticator determined the stone is actually Sodalite instead of Lapis."

Finally, are they SERIOUS about the total lack of compensation for lost/damaged jewelry once it's in GIAs hands?!  ---  Yes.  Once in GIAs hand, you are home free.  If something happens to the item while they have it, or after they ship it to the buyer, you are not held responsible.

I would suggest reading up on all the details of what does and does not get the authentication flag.  I'm near 70ish items having been sent in, and a few have come back.  Buyers seem to love it, and honestly its nice to send out expensive pieces knowing there's a shield to protect you from scams.  It takes some time to get into the flow, but overall it's been a positive experience.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I'm only a quarter of the way through your answer and I'm already learning stuff...carry on...

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@jklfindings 

Okay, couple of things

1. My friend has a sterling and 

?sodalite? Necklace listed for more than $500. It's going to authentication. 

2. What if I list something as 14k but it's 18? Rejected?

What about the eligible/ineligibility of pearls and loose stones? Why the contradictory eligibility terms including quartz? I get your point about amethyst or citrine, but why not be more exact? Why am I learning all this from you? 

By the way, THANK YOU so much for your awesome, informative and detailed reply. You've cleared up a good part of my questions. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

1 --- The trigger here is the sterling silver, not the sodalite.  Once it goes to authentication they will verify the silver but not look at the stone.

2 --- Haven't specifically seen this, but the tolerance for gold is .5.  So I would assume if you listed as 14k, anything below 13.5 or above 14.5 would trigger a denial.  

3 -- The eligibility of items keeps changing as they broaden what they are accepting into the program.  They just recently started doing loose stones. (Just sent off a GIA certified diamond to be GIA authenticated, and got a chuckle).  The pearls looks like the documents have just recently been changed to accept them.

4 -- Same as #3, they are constantly updating.  It looks like this conversation took place while they were updating all the paperwork.  Last night Quartz and Pearls were on the ineligible list, and now its only Amber, Jade, Turquoise.

5 -- You're learning this here, because some of us have been dealing with the program for longer than others.  With anything ebay, there is a learning curve lol.  The documents read like they were written by a lawyer, and not a gemologist.  You'll figure out real quick that anyone you speak to at ebay about this, has no clue about jewelry or gemstones, they are just passing along info from GIA (you don't have the option to speak with GIA themselves).

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Lol, within just a few hours they have updated the FAQ to show what stones are accepted.  Sodalite is now on the list.  But it looks like whoever did the update just copy pasted the added items over the original list instead of adding to it.  So stones like Ruby annd Emerald are no longer there.

The new list is:

• Gemstone type: Gemstones are not required. However, for items with a main gemstone(s), the gemstone must be one of the following: Andalusite, Apatite, Diopside, Fluorite, Hematite, Iolite, Kyanite, Rhodochrosite, Rhodonite, Opal, Sodalite, Sphene, Spodumene/Kunzite, Pearl, South Sea Pearl, Pearls, Freshwater Pearl, Freshwater Pearls, Freshwater Cultured Pearl, Freshwater, Akoya Pearl, South Sea, Hematite, Sodalite, Rhodolite, Tahitian Pearl, Tahitian, Kyanite, Akoya, Chrome Diopside, Freshwater Cultured Pearl, Rhodochrosite, Diopside Gemstone, Fluorite, Obsidian, Rutile Gemstone, Kunzite, Pearl Diamond, Sodalite Gemstone, Rhodonite, Rutile, Pearl Gemstone, Kunzite Gemstone, Freshwater Pearls, Apatite Gemstone, Rhodochrosite Gemstone, Cultured Pearl, Fluorite Gemstone, Diamond Pearl, Diopside, Iolite Gemstone, conch pearl, clam pearl, keshi pearl, melo melo pearls, edison pearls, biwa pearls, baroque pearls, flame pearls, button pearls, rice pearls, Mother-of-Pearl, saltwater, saltwater pearl, Rhodonite Gemstone, Green Apatite, Blue Kyanite, Neon Blue Apatite, Blue Apatite, Hematite Gemstone, HEMATITE STONE, Neon Apatite, Aqua Apatite Gemstone, Blue Iolite, Dendrite Opal, Dendrite Opal Gemstone, Dendritic Opal, Black Opal, Boulder Opal, Fire Opals, Ethiopian Opal, Fire Opal, Lab Created Fire Opal, Milky Opal, Opal, Opal Gemstone, Opals, Pink Opal, Owyhee Opal, White Opal, Precious Opals, Jelly opal, Crystal opal, Pink opal, Blue opal, Prase Opal, Hydrophane opal, Hyalite opal, Common opal, doublet opal, mabe pearl, nephrite, welo opal Secondary Stone: Any Stone, No Stone, except Ineligible

It will get caught and updated, but it shows a few things.  They are constantly updating and adding to what they are taking into the program.  The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  It would be obvious to someone in the industry that the document is wrong now, but whoever updated the FAQ last night didn't know what they were updating, and were just going to fast.

There's a lot of us on this forum that are happy to answer questions, so always feel free to ask!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

A few weeks ago, our cultured pearl strands and Ethiopian opal rings were not shown as covered.  Then one day, poof, the authenticity guarantee label popped up on them.

We have one diamond pendant that has never been shown as covered, and we're not sure why.  Perhaps because is channel set, and the color grade can't be verified?

Overall, our experience has been positive.  We don't know how this will play yet, but we have some platinum rings that the purity isn't marked, and we can't accurately test.  We have shown these items as .900 purity, and have said in the description that we can't test the purity, but guarantee that the purity is AT LEAST .900 (90%).  Time will tell if this flies.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Wow. What an ally. Thanks for shining a light on what I'd otherwise have missed. Do you think it's coincidence that the copy just got revised?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thank you @idealgems1 ! 

All this is valuable information. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply