cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an animal bone wider than boar tusk or is this stone?

Hi - I have been reading this discussion board lateley and see that many of you can tell the difference between stone and bone from a photo, so posting a couple here.

This could be anything, it is from the same estate I recieved a cabochon pendant made from fossilized dino bone... I wouldn't have known unless widower explained all about how they had it made by a lapidary and gave me the matching bone to which it matched up. And that one looks like petrified wood to me.

So hoping this other bone/stone is something someone can identify as bone, fossilized bone, or stone with neat patterns that just worked out looking like it

length of 'bead is about 3.5" and wide end 1.5" across (it seems heavy like stone, but it feels less cold and clammy than the jasper beads if that helps)

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

here is back

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

From the picture, I believe this to be a tooth, probably a tiger tooth.  

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Also need to be careful of what can be listed on EBay as far as endangered animals.  Not sure where the list is on EBay or if listed.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

On the bottom of any page, you will see (site map), click and find A to Z and check under Prohibited and Animals.  You wil find tiger there, any part is prohibited.

Carolyn

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thank you... I better look into this further then before listing. Thank goodness this had no views back when it was listed I may have been flagged. 

So then it is probably tooth / tusk and not stone with these patterns, good to know. I think I will harvest these nice jasper beads from it then, I am a bead hoarder and I love them!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply