cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jewelry

Recently experienced some items purchased through eBay that stated sterling silver but the chains and two of the stamped pieces are not silver. With stamping being an age old practice since the days of the assayers offices, what is a buyers recourse to respond back to a seller?  I am sure this has occurred with many having received incorrect metals. Thank you. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Jewelry

Using eBay's Money Back Guarantee for Buyers, file an Item Not as Described case for a full refund upon return of the item.  Even if the listing says the seller does not accept returns, the seller must honor the MBG.  No Returns does noit mean No Refunds.  Go to your Purchases, click on Return This Item, etc.   Detailed info and instructions here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/returning-item?id=4041#section6

`

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Jewelry

Using eBay's Money Back Guarantee for Buyers, file an Item Not as Described case for a full refund upon return of the item.  Even if the listing says the seller does not accept returns, the seller must honor the MBG.  No Returns does noit mean No Refunds.  Go to your Purchases, click on Return This Item, etc.   Detailed info and instructions here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/returning-item?id=4041#section6

`

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Jewelry

Thank you very much for your assistance with this issue. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Jewelry

Hello,

It's a pity that you had such a bad experience with fake silver jewelry. I've been working in jewelry for more than 10 years and I have a broad experience in testing precious metals. I also sell some silver stuff on eBay.

You may see that the stamps/hallmarks of Ukrainian jewelry are much more complicated than just "925" number. They contain additional symbols which represent the manufacturer country, the assay office and sometimes even the year and the jewelry factory.

IMG_1892+++.JPGIMG_0722+++.JPG

There are also different types of hallmarks: mechanic, laser, electrospark. The process of hallmarking is under thorough state control in Ukraine, and it's impossible to sell any fine jewelry (silver, gold, platinum) without state laboratory check. 

Still, some individual jewelers put simply "925" on their stuff but they do not sell it in Ukraine.

When I collect jewelry pieces I apply acid tests to every single piece to check if it is real solid precious metal or not.

IMG_3951.JPGIMG_3961.JPG

Here, in Ukraine the majority of jewelry pieces hallmarked "925" only are true 925/1000 silver jewelry. And only a small percentage is silver plated/filled having brass/zink/other non-precious metal inside. The latter is never sold in my store.

bluewate-61, I hope you are not too much disappointed because of one dishonest seller (I guess from India or China). There are lots of great shops and sellers for your to buy real solid 925 Sterling Silver jewelry. 🙂
Message 4 of 4
latest reply