cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quoting

> Could you also confirm that you undertake not to copy to

> any other group, or individuals outside of this group,

> the contents of my postings without my permission?

Only if the contents of your postings have nothing to do with non-members. I really do not like the idea of turning this group into some kind of board for gossip and klatsch or worse. If someone's goal is to improve his or her knowledge then he or she needs opinions from both sides. This is the raison d'être of this group as I have understood it. All members are encouraged to settle their personal disputes with other people in private.

-- Edited by dancing_with_volves at 09/02/2011 1:38 AM PDT
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Quoting

This topic was branched from Chess Collectors books
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Quoting

Kristjan, Mostly nonsense, so let’s deal with a few facts. 1. It is none of your business if postings in this group between members relate to non-members or their work output. Absolutely none. You may certainly comment on it, as any member may, but you have no authority to copy specific information to people outside the group without permission. You didn’t even have the courtesy to let the originator know what you were doing. 2. As a matter of interest did you copy Cig6o’s statements, or even your own, to George Dean for comment? There were some quite strong statements made in the same thread about serious faults in his book. Could you let us see your outgoing message to him? 3. The posting you decided to interfere with was one between Chesspurr and Cig60. This was not the first communication in this thread between these two members, so quite why you decided to interfere I have no idea. Cig60 is a senior member of the chess community and the official CCI reviewer of Alan F’s book, so I would imagine he is more than capable of asking Alan for clarification, if needed. I don’t think he needs amateur assistance. 4. You did not go privately or directly to Alan F for clarification as you infer. Would you like me to provide more details of this? 5. You represented yourself as a “reluctant middleman” when you posted Alan’s comment back in the group. Since you “tittle-tattled” the information outside the group in the first place and continued to stir the pot this is, frankly, laughable. I also have no idea why this thread is called “Quoting”. “Group Ethics” or Group Privacy” would , in my opinion, be more appropriate. Mick
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Quoting

1. I have every possible authority to quote whomever I want to. In the best interest of the quality of the contents of this group, members are counseled to refrain from posting comments for which they might be ashamed later. 2. The work of Mr. Dean will be a subject of reviews in the CCI magazine and elsewhere. I believe that he will use the same channels to answer. 3. Michael does certainly not need my assistance. I forwarded the question to Mr. Fersht because I wanted to know his answer. Asking questions to get answers is quite common practice. 4. No. My private correspondence is no business of yours. 5. I will be much happier if the next person having questions to non-members sends these questions directly to them. There is no point in posting them here. This is an open group with 760 registered members and you cannot expect that everything you write here stays here. The issue would be different in a private group. Members are encouraged to discuss private issues in private.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Quoting

This discussion is locked.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply