cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Standard Envelope Claims- How does it work?

I have a shipment that only shows a single scan from the accepting post office and nothing else.  Tomorrow is the date given to the buyer as the last delivery date.  When can a claim be submitted?  Is this done by the buyer or me?  Does ebay reimburse them or me?

TIA
Rob

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER
10 REPLIES 10

Don't submit a claim. Any claim submitted is against YOU, not eBay. If the item doesn't arrive, the buyer submits a claim against you, and you refund the buyer with your money.

With that being said, the eBay Standard Envelope does not always show a receipt scan. You basically hope for the best when using it. It's just a step above mailing with a stamp, but not the same as paying first class shipping. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@candd205 wrote:

Don't submit a claim. Any claim submitted is against YOU, not eBay. If the item doesn't arrive, the buyer submits a claim against you, and you refund the buyer with your money.

With that being said, the eBay Standard Envelope does not always show a receipt scan. You basically hope for the best when using it. It's just a step above mailing with a stamp, but not the same as paying first class shipping. 

@candd205 

Are you suggesting a seller shouldn't collect on the free insurance included with ESE? Why?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Um, these shipments are insured by ebay.  I don't think you're familiar with that shipment method

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I used it 5 times in the last 3 months. 2 of those times, the post office gave them delivery scans. 3 times the post office did NOT give them delivery scans. The buyers didn't file a claim, so no need to work with the post office for non-delivery issues.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

What I meant was don't file anything if the buyer doesn't complain. Why would you want to poke a sleeping bear? If they buyer receives the item despite not having a delivery scan, why would you file a false claim?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Part of the claim process is showing a message from the buyer stating that it wasn't received.  So submitting a claim otherwise would technically be fraud.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Hi Rob,

I am sorry to hear that your postcard has been lost in the mail.  I am processing a refund for you and hope that this will not keep you from considering to purchase from us again.

Best Regards

Rich

loving Everything Nostalgic

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

OK, so either the buyer or seller can submit a claim.  That's all well and done, but either way sales tax won't be refunded through PIP, correct?  So, is the seller responsible for refunding sales tax?

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

If the buyer hasn't received the item they open an item not received request. The seller would refund them and ebay would refund the tax portion.  Then the seller (not buyer) would file a claim with the insurance company.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply