cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing large number of variants through the quantity field

I want to create a listing but it has a large number of variants (1991 Upper Deck Baseball is an 800-card set). I have seen several listings that will not list all variants; rather they will just have "quantity" and they instruct users to list the card numbers they want in the buyer notes of the purchase. Here are some examples:

I want to use this style so that I don't have to list all 800 variants (across 4 separate listings because you can only have 250 variants per listing), or maintain inventory in the listing description. However if a buyer requests a number of cards that is not consistent with the buyer notes (examples - they leave the buyers notes blank, or they request 5 cards and only list 2 cards in the notes), I am concerned about potential eBay defects. If I partially or fully refund the buyer in this situation because the order was not properly filled out, then eBay would count this as a defect. Is there any way I can seller protection in this situation?

was also considering only posting quantity after a buyer contacts me prior to ordering to confirm the cards they wanted are in-stock, but that doesn't stop someone else from swooping in and creating the situation I mentioned above.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

@mathman87vw4,

Sorry, but those are considered Choice listings, and they are not allowed. It would be better to subdivide the listings into different teams, or leagues, or something like that.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/search-browse-manipulation-policy?id=4243

image.png

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thanks @lacemaker3 for directing me to the official policy.  It is clear.  It feels like a hassle to manage that style of listing anyways.

How would listing with variations where there is an "other" option?  So for an 800 card set, cards 1, 2, 3 are listed as their own variations and 4-800 are bundled as their own variation.  Usually there are only a couple cards that are of value and the rest aren't.  Would that count as a "choice" listing eventhough I'm using a listing with variations?

Message 3 of 3
latest reply