cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does a buyer get to return an item?

eBay stepped in to settle a return dispute and eBay decided to instruct them to return the item. It's been over a week and I've received no information from the buyer as to how the intend to make the return. It's been almost a month since the original case was opened. Once a determination is made how long do they get to make the return? 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Did you send them a label?  There is a deadline with the return label and I could be wrong but I believe it's a week.  Someone more familiar will likley jump in with more specific advice.  In the meantime did you try calling customer service about this?

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

My understanding is that the buyer has five days to get the item in the mail after you send the label, or accept the return if it was a remorse return. If there is no activity on the tracking number after that time you can call and have the case closed in your favor due to no response from the buyer.

The case will/should close automatically after thirty days. What happens then I have no clue.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Even if eBay closes the case, the buyer has 180 days from payment to open a PayPal case. For SNAD, you have to pay return shipping.  There is no benefit to you to try to rush and get the eBay case closed.

Avoid the unresolved case by accepting returns.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I may suggest gaining an understanding towards the fact that selling on ebay is considered a privilege. Then I may suggest  learning about the returns system including ebay's Money back guarantee, finding out exactly how it works and when a buyer has a problem take care of it. Neither ebay nor the buyers particularly appreciate uncooperative sellers and dragging one's feet is considered uncooperative behavior.

Apparently the case was opened several days ago and you've done little but sit around, what has happened next is the buyer called Ebay's Customer Service and they have 'accepted' the case for you, this has earned you your first defect.

You have three choices:

1. Issue a refund and be done.

2. Send the buyer a label and hope you get the item back, once you do you issue a refund.

- If the buyer does not return the product you will likely still have to issue a refund or be forced into it.

3. Do nothing and wait until the buyer escalates, this will win the case for the buyer, the buyer will be issued a refund, the buyer gets to keep the item and you may earn yourself another defect.

I do not believe that calling ebay will have them close the case in your favor at all.

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

My understanding is that the buyer has five days to get the item in the mail after you send the label, or accept the return if it was a remorse return. If there is no activity on the tracking number after that time you can call and have the case closed in your favor due to no response from the buyer.

The case will/should close automatically after thirty days. What happens then I have no clue.

This case is most likely open on a "No Returns" sale.

"No returns" cases don't work the same as "Returns accepted," they do not.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@nameback1 wrote:

eBay stepped in to settle a return dispute and eBay decided to instruct them to return the item. It's been over a week and I've received no information from the buyer as to how the intend to make the return. It's been almost a month since the original case was opened. Once a determination is made how long do they get to make the return? 

Don't let Ebay step in; you earn a serious defect that can impact your selling privileges, up to and including permanent suspension. They don't want to step in, they want you to handle it.

Since Ebay instructed a return, you needed to have sent the buyer a return label; you can ask Ebay to do this.  You didn't do this, and if buyer calls now, Ebay could refund them from your funds, close the case, and you would get another defect (I think).

If you had sent the label, buyer has 5 days to put the item in the mail.  He would enter tracking into the case, and when that shows delivered, he would be refunded from your funds.

You're playing with fire with defects.  You can read up on returns so you know how to handle it.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@nameback1 wrote:

Don't let Ebay step in; you earn a serious defect that can impact your selling privileges, up to and including permanent suspension. They don't want to step in, they want you to handle it.

Since Ebay instructed a return, you needed to have sent the buyer a return label; you can ask Ebay to do this.  You didn't do this, and if buyer calls now, Ebay could refund them from your funds, close the case, and you would get another defect (I think).

If you had sent the label, buyer has 5 days to put the item in the mail.  He would enter tracking into the case, and when that shows delivered, he would be refunded from your funds.

You're playing with fire with defects.  You can read up on returns so you know how to handle it.  Good Luck!

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

The OP already said they had ebay 'step in it', so ebay would have sent the return label which will be billed to the OP.

And since they did, ebay will refund as soon as tracking shows 'something' was delivered.

And for a SNAD, there is no difference between returns accepted and no returns.

@nameback1 wrote:

What type of case was it?

A not as described?

One of the other reasons?

If eBay stepped in I believe you need to send a label or eBay will do it for you. What does it say in your resoluton center?

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

got my first going on right now,not a clue how to send a label,so letting ebay figure it out,.,.not worried a bit and dont care.,.,

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@nameback1 wrote:

Your buyer has 240 hours (10 days) from the time the case was decided.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@nameback1 wrote:

What does your resolution center show? what shows in your PP account for the transaction?

As mentioned the buyer has 5 days to mail item when you issue a label, If that has not happened, call ebay and get the case cosed in your favor for lack of return. (as long as you issued a label)

Case should time out after 30 days on ebay.

They can open a case via PayPal although the *buyer* pays for return shipping for all PP SNAD cases.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

And for a SNAD, there is no difference between returns accepted and no returns.

Oh but there is, either way the seller has to refund but insofar as the item goes you obviously don't think like a scammer does.

Have you ever had a case either way in your own seller center?

There's even a difference in how the label is issued.

But the main difference is whether ebay as a system 'forces' a return.

The refund on a "returns accepted" sale HINGES on the tracking showing the item has been delivered back to the seller.  If the tracking never shows the item was delivered, ebay's mbg will NOT issue a refund.

On a No returns sale, the MBG will kick out the refund whether the item was actually returned or not.

You should try it sometime, run a test.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply