cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay not following their own policy regarding seller protections

sorry this is a long one .....so i've received three negatives in the last two weeks after years of having 100% positive...lets start with this latest one i received yesterday because the buyer hasn't received his item..no contact..never let me know there was an issue..no case opened... just right to a negative...i then checked feedback left for others and he's left 7 negatives for others over this same issue.....ebay clearly states right here in announcements that they are aware of shipping delays, and that they would protect us which i didn't believe because they have dropped the ball lately on our so called protections....i reached out to usps and they stated that they closed 16 hubs in georgia and have been combining them into 1 huge hub...so its a complete disaster and nightmare right now..but they are working on tracking down the package and that they will get everything moving again shortly ...meanwhile ebay has this on the board dated 4/10. I chose to give them the benefit of the doubt and i called them and they stated they would remove it under this known issue ...of course i wake up to a denial with an answer that has nothing to do with the reason for request for removal...once again we have ebay stating that they are going to do something and they fail to do it......moving on ....the other photos Ive included is their own policy that states what the "top rated seller protections" have been since they implemented them in 2018...even with providing this, they allowed the negative to remain after i followed everything in the policy and qualified.... this one didn't come off when it should have automatically because it malfunctioned just like anything else on the site... in the past when the system did not work, id simply call and they verified that i qualified and removed it...now i keep being told that i have to offer free returns in order to qualify for "top rated seller protections" when that is false.....the fact is, that the first bout of seller protections that were implemented required free returns.  In 2018 (at the last real ebay open in las vegas) they implemented "top rated seller protections" which stated, that as long as we were top rated, accepted returns, and did everything required that we now would receive these benefits as well. Lately, for whatever reason, we are being told by new ebay reps, that this only applies when free returns are offered and they seem to have no knowledge of the top rated seller policy I just described...they are mixing up top rated seller protections with the protections for above standard and others.....i have copied and emailed them their own policy where it clearly states what is required for top rated seller benefits which i also included below. Nowhere under this policy does it state that i have to offer free returns....i also then sent them a copy of the protections for others and above standard abusive buyer policy which shows i would only have to offer free returns if im above standard not top rated... they are mixing up the two. Once I show them this, I am thanked and told that they are going to give it a second look ...and then they stop responding and disappear. The system has gotten beyond stupid... in this same negative that should have been removed, the buyer went on to call me names and ebay also saw that they were clearly lying because none of the things stated in the feedback rant are true at all... however they still did nothing ...i got some ridiculous response something like 'we understand he called you names and that he told untruths but hes not violating policy"....not those exact words .....I want to know why you state you are going to do all of these things to protect your sellers from abusive buyers when you know very well thats not true at all.  You have policies that you don't follow, however if any of us try that same thing we are suspended or kicked off the platform.  My simple solution...just do what you say you are going to do...not sure what is so hard about that.  

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 7.40.28 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-27 at 8.35.58 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-27 at 8.36.20 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-27 at 8.36.51 AM.png

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: ebay not following their own policy regarding seller protections

You and I usually agree on most things @fashunu4eeuh , but this time we disagree a bit.

Sometimes Ebay members have memory lapses about what is accurate info and what isn't.  "The quality of eBay’s customer service has deteriorated since Covid. They shut down their call centers during the pandemic. But once it was safe to go back to work, eBay never reestablished customer service to its pre-morbid functionality."

While CS did get real tricky the first several months or year of the Pandemic while Ebay scrambled to get hardware to employees at home and proper / secure internet connections, that was a real hardship on members needing help as it was very limited.

But CS before the Pandemic and after is about the same.  We have always complained about the bad info coming out of many CSRs and causing harm to members for one reason or another.  It is not a new situation since the Pandemic.  It is a problem we have struggled with for a great many years.

IMHO it is why we get more and more members coming to the Community for help.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 48
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

One other thought............Ebay warned us about the possible USPS delays........if we (I'm not), are experiencing delays, perhaps a good idea to put warnings in descriptions or after sale emails to buyers.........being proactive may stop at least some questions/negs..........

I think that is a great idea, but one Ebay should do, not the seller.  That for many sellers would be an enormous amount of work to place that in their description.  You can only do that one by one.  Very time consuming for many sellers.

But I really like your idea but with Ebay providing the warning on listings, not the sellers.

Message 32 of 48
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@robbie31415 

You can see in the policy pages the OP posted that the TRS protections does not require free returns.  Just 30 days or longer.

Once Again you don't read what I said.

IDK with this "once again" stuff since it isn't correct.

You stated in your post, the closing statement "The easiest way to get feedback protections is by offering free returns."  And that is not a true statement.  There isn't any added protection because you offer Free Returns.

Protections for Top Rated Sellers

Top Rated Sellers sellers are eligible for these protections when all the following criteria are met:

• Your seller performance level is Top Rated Seller at the time of the protection
  • You reside in the US (including US territories) or Canada
  • You don't have a "Very High" rating in any of your service metrics
  • The item was listed on eBay.com
  • The listing offered 30-day or longer returns

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protections?id=4345

However there is a clause in Seller protection that reads as follows:

If a buyer reports that an item isn't as described

If the buyer submits a return request because an item isn't as described in the listing, we'll remove any related negative or neutral feedback if you offer free returns, accept the return, and give a refund.

Maybe that is what you were referring to, IDK.  If so, I stand corrected.

Message 33 of 48
latest reply

@dynastysfashionboutique wrote:

i called and i also contacted fb for business...they use to be helpful before i was concierge so i went back to them when things started taking a turn...i want to have everything in writing whenever possible..because i find now that one person will tell you one thing and another will say something completely different about these policies...so i can easily go back and say hey....this rep said this at this time and now what you are saying contradicts that...little good it does...they just apologize say thank you...say they are gonna look into something and then vanish ...when u call back a week later giving them time to do what they said suddenly no one knows what you are talking about 

If you have a Concierge, why in the world would you go to facebook.  Your Concierge would be far more effective in chasing this issue.

Message 34 of 48
latest reply

@meme6253 wrote:

Seller protection I believe to be a thing of the past, Very Unfortunately!!

No true.  While I'm confident that some sellers do not get it when they think they should, often times it is because the seller doesn't understand the policies or didn't even bother to do the research.

Ebay has excellent Seller Protection on INRs.  INADs are far more complicated and on a case by case basis as the details are important to the outcome as well as how the seller handles it.

Message 35 of 48
latest reply

@dynastysfashionboutique wrote:

i was told when talking to ebay for business that the one guy who first left me a negative that went on to call names and state false facts and actions that didnt happen was not like any buyer that they have seen before..that he was odd and i need to block him.....they also verified what i was saying about this guy leaving other feedback similar to what was said about me on others accounts...being accused of being a thief over 7.50 is lunacy....at any rate they dont ever tell you if they agree that something is a false inad...i simply report....accept the return ..make deductions if needed and it closes and these defects never go on my account..and before like i said any negatives were removed because you followed the top rated seller protections...in this case i reported him after he opened a return stating all of his false facts and told them to look into the pm he was sending....i refunded and closed the return and for once i did not force him to send it back to me...under the advisement of a rep on the phone who stated it would prob be in my best interest to just refund and close the return as the return label i provided would cause me to lose money.. 

It is clear that under the TRS protections, the FB should be removed.  Through your other posts on this thread I learned you have a Concierge.  IDK why you would go any other route except using your Concierge to resolve this issue.

Message 36 of 48
latest reply

I'm with the OP.  I do NOT check the tracking on every package I send for the rare occasion that one is having issues.  I've been selling online here and elsewhere for over 25 years.  It isn't anything I've ever done, nor will I be starting.  It is a waste of my time.  

But when a buyer contacts me that there is a problem.  I'm all over it ASAP.  I communicate with my buyer and keep them updated as I file a trace on the package and if that gets me now where, I file a Missing Mail Report.  And if that doesn't work out, I refund the buyer in full.

Message 37 of 48
latest reply

Humm.  But shipping delays due to USPS issues doesn't have anything to do with the condition of the product being sold.  As a buyer, I'd likely never see that warning.

True it is something you can edit through the Bulk editor, but still I don't see how it is very effective in that spot of a listing.

Message 38 of 48
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

One other thought............Ebay warned us about the possible USPS delays........if we (I'm not), are experiencing delays, perhaps a good idea to put warnings in descriptions or after sale emails to buyers.........being proactive may stop at least some questions/negs..........

I think that is a great idea, but one Ebay should do, not the seller.  That for many sellers would be an enormous amount of work to place that in their description.  You can only do that one by one.  Very time consuming for many sellers.

But I really like your idea but with Ebay providing the warning on listings, not the sellers.

I doubt Ebay is going to do it, simply because not every seller is being affected........again......sellers, as individuals,  need to be proactive......  I just scanned 200.......took less than 30 sec.... granted most were delivered, but I don't buy the "no time" excuse.....    

And (another post), you haven't in the past had to check deliveries......but if you begin to have problems, I predict you will........

Message 39 of 48
latest reply

You don't read what I said. You should know very well once again.

You misquote, pull pieces out of context.

I never claimed anything the OP posted required free returns.

What I said is true. That doesn't mean what the OP posted required free returns.

This is like the 5th time. I called you out on it with the being able to respond to chargebacks.

There you did the same thing and doubled down on a bad position due to not actually reading and going off if pieces.

Message 40 of 48
latest reply

Well, I don't care if it has anything to do with the condition of the item.  It gets that point front and center to be seen before they even scroll on down.  So, as a buyer, you would not see what is front and center right there in the condition box? Good to know.

Just a shot at the fact that the estimated date may not be the exact date.

Effective, as it has a better chance of being seen when right there at the beginning. YMMV

Message 41 of 48
latest reply

i realize that...i apologize...i was an angry very mad woman at the time...im sure you realize that that combination is never a good thing....all i wanted to do was fight at that time.....not fight you but at that moment just forget it....so many things were running through my mind that i couldnt get it all out the right way...so for that at least ill apologize ...at any rate today is a new day and im moving on....still annoyed but life is short and at the end of the day wrong or not ebay will be ebay...i cant change that.....ive had some positive experiences with the company...bought a house....had an office space at one time....but now things are getting very ugly...maybe its time to move on.....prob is..prob will.....not gonna quit but maybe its time to way downsize until i can leave if thats where its leading because if i don't like something i can always walk away....

Message 42 of 48
latest reply

exactly.....i have over 7,000 items in my store and might be growing...might not after the way ebay has been lately..i simply do not have the time to check each and every delivery.....all the buyer had to do was say something...why wouldn't i try and fix it by finding out what happened and/or refunding?  id be a horrible seller if i didn't but i needed to be given the chance...unfortunately im not psychic ...i want my buyers to be happy at the end of the day but i cant know how you are feeling if im not told....

Message 43 of 48
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

You don't read what I said. You should know very well once again.

You misquote, pull pieces out of context.

I never claimed anything the OP posted required free returns.

What I said is true. That doesn't mean what the OP posted required free returns.

This is like the 5th time. I called you out on it with the being able to respond to chargebacks.

There you did the same thing and doubled down on a bad position due to not actually reading and going off if pieces.

Oh stop this is nonsense.  I didn't pull anything out of Context as it was a one sentence paragraph.

This post shows how you feel compelled to try to create conflict between us and it simply is unwarranted and unnecessary.  It come from a disagreement we had on another thread.  It simply is not necessary.

YES, my post said that you were correct.  But apparently that isn't enough for you for some reason.  You just keep wanting to make it more than it is.

I have no idea what this means "This is like the 5th time. I called you out on it with the being able to respond to chargebacks."  True on another thread on chargebacks we had some differences of opinion.  But even on those I eventually saw your side and stated that I did and that I was mistaken on some point or points.  But again that doesn't seem to have any impact on you.  You continue to post stuff like you did above.

🤣  Oh good grief.  Maybe you should read my post again !!!!

Here is my entire post you are responding to:

IDK with this "once again" stuff since it isn't correct.

You stated in your post, the closing statement "The easiest way to get feedback protections is by offering free returns."  And that is not a true statement.  There isn't any added protection because you offer Free Returns.

Protections for Top Rated Sellers

Top Rated Sellers sellers are eligible for these protections when all the following criteria are met:

• Your seller performance level is Top Rated Seller at the time of the protection
  • You reside in the US (including US territories) or Canada
  • You don't have a "Very High" rating in any of your service metrics
  • The item was listed on eBay.com
  • The listing offered 30-day or longer returns

However there is a clause in Seller protection that reads as follows:

If a buyer reports that an item isn't as described

If the buyer submits a return request because an item isn't as described in the listing, we'll remove any related negative or neutral feedback if you offer free returns, accept the return, and give a refund.

Maybe that is what you were referring to, IDK.  If so, I stand corrected.

It is my hope this allows you to see that I said you were correct and I gave the policies for ALL to see and to support your position.

Message 44 of 48
latest reply

because concierge isn't acting like concierge anymore either ....they don't even say concierge when they answer the phone now either...actually they did last month and i almost fell out of my chair from the shock..it had been months since they said it.....not sure how true it is or isnt but i heard they are doing away with that department too....again i can't confidently confirm or deny...everything is always top secret at ebay...everything is always a guess....if they were more transparent there wouldn't be such murkiness about important issues.......

Message 45 of 48
latest reply