cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay not following their own policy regarding seller protections

sorry this is a long one .....so i've received three negatives in the last two weeks after years of having 100% positive...lets start with this latest one i received yesterday because the buyer hasn't received his item..no contact..never let me know there was an issue..no case opened... just right to a negative...i then checked feedback left for others and he's left 7 negatives for others over this same issue.....ebay clearly states right here in announcements that they are aware of shipping delays, and that they would protect us which i didn't believe because they have dropped the ball lately on our so called protections....i reached out to usps and they stated that they closed 16 hubs in georgia and have been combining them into 1 huge hub...so its a complete disaster and nightmare right now..but they are working on tracking down the package and that they will get everything moving again shortly ...meanwhile ebay has this on the board dated 4/10. I chose to give them the benefit of the doubt and i called them and they stated they would remove it under this known issue ...of course i wake up to a denial with an answer that has nothing to do with the reason for request for removal...once again we have ebay stating that they are going to do something and they fail to do it......moving on ....the other photos Ive included is their own policy that states what the "top rated seller protections" have been since they implemented them in 2018...even with providing this, they allowed the negative to remain after i followed everything in the policy and qualified.... this one didn't come off when it should have automatically because it malfunctioned just like anything else on the site... in the past when the system did not work, id simply call and they verified that i qualified and removed it...now i keep being told that i have to offer free returns in order to qualify for "top rated seller protections" when that is false.....the fact is, that the first bout of seller protections that were implemented required free returns.  In 2018 (at the last real ebay open in las vegas) they implemented "top rated seller protections" which stated, that as long as we were top rated, accepted returns, and did everything required that we now would receive these benefits as well. Lately, for whatever reason, we are being told by new ebay reps, that this only applies when free returns are offered and they seem to have no knowledge of the top rated seller policy I just described...they are mixing up top rated seller protections with the protections for above standard and others.....i have copied and emailed them their own policy where it clearly states what is required for top rated seller benefits which i also included below. Nowhere under this policy does it state that i have to offer free returns....i also then sent them a copy of the protections for others and above standard abusive buyer policy which shows i would only have to offer free returns if im above standard not top rated... they are mixing up the two. Once I show them this, I am thanked and told that they are going to give it a second look ...and then they stop responding and disappear. The system has gotten beyond stupid... in this same negative that should have been removed, the buyer went on to call me names and ebay also saw that they were clearly lying because none of the things stated in the feedback rant are true at all... however they still did nothing ...i got some ridiculous response something like 'we understand he called you names and that he told untruths but hes not violating policy"....not those exact words .....I want to know why you state you are going to do all of these things to protect your sellers from abusive buyers when you know very well thats not true at all.  You have policies that you don't follow, however if any of us try that same thing we are suspended or kicked off the platform.  My simple solution...just do what you say you are going to do...not sure what is so hard about that.  

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 7.40.28 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-27 at 8.35.58 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-27 at 8.36.20 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-27 at 8.36.51 AM.png

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: ebay not following their own policy regarding seller protections

yeah i think i know that...im venting because im **bleep** ......or i was **bleep**...its a new day and although im not jumping up and down im moving forward and kinda over it...i cant go through my life **bleep** off because ebay did this....its gonna happen again and again and to be **bleep** every waking moment of the day because of ebay ...not fun and not gonna get anywhere...and im not gonna allow anyone including ebay to have that kind of power over my life.....good day to you as well 

Message 16 of 48
latest reply

Perhaps the buyer didn't have the time or inclination to get into a discussion about a $5.99 item.......they don't know/care about what your neg means to you.........  which is the reason we need to be proactive about stuff....because it does mean something to us..........

Message 17 of 48
latest reply

i called and i also contacted fb for business...they use to be helpful before i was concierge so i went back to them when things started taking a turn...i want to have everything in writing whenever possible..because i find now that one person will tell you one thing and another will say something completely different about these policies...so i can easily go back and say hey....this rep said this at this time and now what you are saying contradicts that...little good it does...they just apologize say thank you...say they are gonna look into something and then vanish ...when u call back a week later giving them time to do what they said suddenly no one knows what you are talking about 

Message 18 of 48
latest reply

hi carl,

im not sure what the 50 day dispute process is regarding inads...can you elaborate so that i understand 🙂

Message 19 of 48
latest reply

Seller protection I believe to be a thing of the past, Very Unfortunately!!

Message 20 of 48
latest reply

i was told when talking to ebay for business that the one guy who first left me a negative that went on to call names and state false facts and actions that didnt happen was not like any buyer that they have seen before..that he was odd and i need to block him.....they also verified what i was saying about this guy leaving other feedback similar to what was said about me on others accounts...being accused of being a thief over 7.50 is lunacy....at any rate they dont ever tell you if they agree that something is a false inad...i simply report....accept the return ..make deductions if needed and it closes and these defects never go on my account..and before like i said any negatives were removed because you followed the top rated seller protections...in this case i reported him after he opened a return stating all of his false facts and told them to look into the pm he was sending....i refunded and closed the return and for once i did not force him to send it back to me...under the advisement of a rep on the phone who stated it would prob be in my best interest to just refund and close the return as the return label i provided would cause me to lose money.. 

Message 21 of 48
latest reply

Based on the plethora of unhappy sellers over the newish lack of removing bad feedback, it is more important than ever for sellers to practice writing good follow-ups for their future buyers.   That time may be better spent now than wasting time with ebay reps and policies that may or may not now be valid.

Message 22 of 48
latest reply

the policies can be very long and murky...hence why my post was so long...i dont want to say things without evidence to back it up...but the policys can be confusing...and theres so many many...i totally expect to find a breathing while listing on ebay policy somewhere lol

Message 23 of 48
latest reply

by the way all of the bleeps above that ebay put in were not swear words....it was the words p off....apparently thats offensive now? lol

Message 24 of 48
latest reply

also good idea...but i have 7,000 plus listings ......i feel faint just think about the possibility of adding tht to each one...i could bulk edit i guess but i find that when you bulk edit and add things to the description box it never quite comes out right 

Message 25 of 48
latest reply

Paragraphs are your friend. 

Message 26 of 48
latest reply

i can not go and check and make sure every package was delivered...sorry..there is not enough time in the day...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously?

I am not the big seller that you are , but I cannot imagine that it would take more than 2-3 minutes a day scrolling down in the seller's hub (Manage all orders) to spot a status that looked out of line.

status.jpg

It's taking care of business.

Would take less time than contacting eBay CS, or posting here. 

Beyond that................................. just reply calm and factually, move on with life without getting stressed over things that will happen no matter what you do.

Message 27 of 48
latest reply

There is one thing I would change if I were in your shoes, and that is to reply more carefully to those feedbacks. While your replies are not terrible they do point fingers, if I may suggest something more along the lines of:

"I am very sorry this transaction did not go as expected, please contact us immediately so we can resolve this issue in your favor."

The most important reason for replies to be so worded is that most buyers who left that negative do not return to read it, but future buyers who look through your feedback will see that here is a seller who has done everything they can to resolve an issue... And this is where the blame game is detrimental, as it shows a failure to accept responsibility (even if it isn't your fault, buyers don't have much sympathy in that regard anyway).

Should a buyer actually contact you that would be a good time to haggle for a revision request as well but in most cases those buyers never will contact you, they have left their feedback and that is almost always the end of it from their side.  The real "bonus" of a reply to negative feedback is to shine in front of future buyers looking through our feedback.

Message 28 of 48
latest reply

On my listings in the "condition section" I have "carriers are experiencing some delays -please be patient with eBay's estimated delivery date"

That is what goes in my listings "condition".  As may be warranted, some individually get additional cautionary info for the item on a limited basis.

"Condition" can be "bulk edited" to add such a statement.  

Potential buyers/buyers see that without having to scroll on by the extensive nonsense (other listings) inserted in the middle of the listing to get down to the actual description.

There are some that don't get down there.

Message 29 of 48
latest reply

Receiving negative feedback is definitely a bummer, but it shouldn't make you feel "**bleep** every waking moment of the day". That's just not normal

Message 30 of 48
latest reply