cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listing above its value & Blocking during pandemic

First of all, it appears many sellers of items on Ebay, specifically coins, list these items at or above their actual value listed by NGC or PCGS.  The question is: are these sellers NOT aware of this, never researched this, don't know coins very well or are just trying to scalp buyers that may also NOT be aware? According to info from these sellers, they purchase these coins from other Ebay sellers for close to their value then relist to resell at these levels hoping some will buy them. This being the case, I can state these sellers have NO knowledge of coins yet, also have an arrogance believing others are stupid or will pay this price. read sad.

The other point is over the past few years, I have asked questions or inquired about some coins and apparently the seller didn't like my comments and BLOCKED me from ever bidding or purchasing from them. It appears this has blown up in their face as during the pandemic, I have attempted to help small businesses and sellers on Ebay buy using my wealth and purchasing coins. Because of these sellers that have BLOCKED me in the past, they have assuredly missed out on many thousands of dollars available. Of course I don't pay retail yet, I have received discounts and sellers have been rewarded immensely and profited during the pandemic, however, these BLOCKED sellers have not. just goes to show you can't limit yourselves and BLOCK sellers as you may need them in the future. To all those that still have me BLOCKED, good luck in poverty as the other sellers are making money. LOL

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Listing above its value & Blocking during pandemic

I come from the stamp world.

Recently the public auction we hold sold a Canadian Leaping Moose variety block of four which has a catalogue value of $5,000, for $15,000.

The new price will turn up in the next issue of the Unitrade Catalogue of Canadian Stamps.

Lot 339 https://sparks-auctions.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Sparks35Complete.pdf

A good catalogue will give the going price for an item.

If demand rises or availability falls , values will change.

Auctions are a pretty good way of ascertaining the actual value of a collectible.

If the prices being asked by the sellers you are complaining about do not sell, they are too high.

If they sell, the value of your own similar items just rose.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Who or what put you in charge of pricing coins. Many sell for more than "Book" and many sell for less. In looking at your coins sold over the last year, it looks like you specialized in coins selling for 99 cents. You really should stay out of telling others how to run their business and perhaps find a new hobby.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

"First of all, it appears many sellers of items on Ebay, specifically coins, list these items at or above their actual value listed by NGC or PCGS"

Those are arbitrary values set buy some fancy group. Sellers can ask whatever they want for their items.

As for blocking, well, being a know it all comes with a price, maybe if you didn't come off so rude and acting like your God's gift to coin dealers, you wouldn't be blocked.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Unless the item is essential to the safety of life where a state of emergency has been declared, the pandemic is irrelevant.  I don't believe coins fall into this category so the owner of such coins can ask whatever they wish. 

Personally, I've gotten so annoyed by unsolicited offers to buy my house that I now answer such offers with, "My asking price is $37,000,000.00 and you pay all closing costs.  If you're interested at my terms let me know and I'll have my attorney draw up the contract.  Otherwise, do not contact me on the matter again."  It's funny but they never seem to be interested at my terms.

Any item, coins included, are only worth what someone is willing to freely pay for it and what the owner is freely willing to sell it for.

Sellers on eBay are free to block anyone that they wish.  It can reasonably be assumed that if they block someone, they have a reason that they consider a justifiable reason to not wish to do business with that person.  Thus it is likely that if you are blocked, the seller doesn't want to do business with you.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@avtaxman08 

Well you certainly have the great FB ratings to prove you like coins! Yeah, I would just focus on buying when and where you can and if you must ask a question, make it short and simple and thank them.

Remember, people tend to be a little short these days ( understanding) and you may have tipped the scales a little on a question perhaps and you got bubble gummed.

I wouldn't worry too much as there are plenty of good coin sellers and buyers to go around! Best to you.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@avtaxman08 wrote:

...  during the pandemic, I have attempted to help small businesses and sellers on Ebay buy using my wealth and purchasing coins. Because of these sellers that have BLOCKED me in the past, they have assuredly missed out on many thousands of dollars available... 

Since you are such a philanthropist, why not pay the higher prices being asked?  With your wealth, the few extra bucks are nothing to you -- hardly noticeable in the many thousands of dollars you have available to toss to the grateful peasants.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

You came here to arrogantly brag about being wealthy and to boast your vast and deep knowledge about the value of coins, and wrote the word "BLOCKED" in caps about 47 times, and you're still baffled as to why so many have blocked you? 🤔

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I appreciate your comment, however, I purchase these coins to not only help small businesses but, also for investment so, paying top price isn't really prudent. That said, the main part of my post was to inform others of these sellers that are merely profiteers and not knowledgeable of the items they sell or respectful of the buyers either. I continue to purchase from small sellers that require assistance on Ebay yet, I also laugh at the other sellers that BLOCKED me and get nothing or the ones that refuse to lower a price to try to scalp everyone. These are the ones that are not selling, not eating and not profiting now. And, to show those sellers that BLOCK buyers for no reason or stupid reasons, they are wrong and their low sales and no profit shows this. LOL

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I did not post to brag about me in the least. I did however post to brag about the sellers that BLOCK others for little or no reasons are losing sales and possibly hurting during the pandemic and...rightfully so. You sound just like one of them and believe you have control over everything except, you don't. The more you and them BLOCK sellers, the smaller the pool of buyers is and you don't realize this and even more so during the pandemic when many weren't buying coins. So, you and the others can start UNBLOCKING those you BLOCKED or continue to lose sales and decrease the pool of buyers more and more every day, week and month until you do realize, the buyer is in charge...not you.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

You are correct. I focus on the sellers that want and need the assistance and all the others that refuse to lower prices or BLOCK buyers for little or no reason at all can lose money, sales and go hungry.  And yes, some people are short these days and perhaps they should stop a moment and understand this action is NOT helpful to them or others at all. Good day.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

You lost the debate. Go home

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

LOL, I sell a lot of coins on ebay and I never check NGC or PCGS values. They are not relevant and to the tiny extent they matter, they only apply to coins in those specific holders. What I look at is usually auction prices of similar coins and ebay sold prices. I automate all my best offers so I don't have to deal with the petty half price or lower offers and if anyone sends me whining emails about anything I figure they are more trouble than they are worth and block them. Most people are pretty good and hey, anyone making offers below where I want to sell I don't even know about! There are millions of people here and it just takes the next one to look at my listing and want it.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply