cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fishy postal rule

To avoid any more late shipments on my dash board, I asked for my package to be scanned when I handed it to the lady at the post office.  I was told they are not allowed to scan it until it's leaving the post office.  That does not seem right but I don't want to cause any animus with them.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Fishy postal rule

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy wrote:

Honestly, in my experience, if you regularly make their lives easy, they'll bend over backwards for you. I can't tell you how many times this has rang true ...

100% this is true at our local PO. We drop off every day 10-30+ packages with a SCAN sheet. Never wait in line, just go to drop off counter/empty space. It's always end of day minutes before they close. If busy, in and out with maybe a quick "hi" or wave. If there's no one else there, chat them up for a few minutes. Done this way for years. The front deskers deal with a lot of crazies so if you are friendly they respond in kind. If you depend on them for your business to succeed best to keep you on their good side.

We've never had an issue with the seller metrics when using SCAN sheet.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Post offices in different cities make there own rules, simple as that. 

They have their own processes in place and make their own decisions. 

Out here in rural areas, most post offices scan everything. You go to a large post office in DFW and they don't hardly scan anything on the spot unless you get a particular clerk. 

Our USPS contracted carrier scans everything, everyday, on the spot when grabbing shipments out of our oversized mailbox. 

Post offices everywhere are all over the board as far when they scan.

Posting ID
Message 17 of 25
latest reply

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy wrote:

Use a kiosk if/when available.

This is what I do. There's never a line for the kiosks so I can just go in, get my scans, drop the packages in the chute, and be out all in a minute or two.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

If they refuse to scan it for acceptance, you can request to speak to the branch post master to confirm & then, if repeated, leave the branch with your parcel & go to another one.Report the branch to the USPS via their web site as they are required to scan parcels in per US Postal Code.

Never release w/o acceptance receipt.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@kalyoth wrote:

If they refuse to scan it for acceptance, you can request to speak to the branch post master to confirm & then, if repeated, leave the branch with your parcel & go to another one.Report the branch to the USPS via their web site as they are required to scan parcels in per US Postal Code.

Never release w/o acceptance receipt.

I have not asked for a receipt since the early 2000's. Just depends on the post offices. If I ever have to drop at the post office, I leave them in their designated counter spot and they scan when they get to it. Never miss a scan, ever. 

I do realize things are different in other cities and parts of the country.  I can't imagine waiting in line just to get a receipt.  Thousands shipped over the years, never a lost USPS shipment and if they always get a scan, don't need a receipt for any reason. Once it is documented in the system by a scan, a receipt is not needed. 

The expensive items ship UPS and they don't miss any scans at my local pack-n-ship joint where I drop off UPS. These folks around here take pride in their work.

Posting ID
Message 20 of 25
latest reply

Is it possible to schedule a pickup and have the USPS pick your packages up? Scheduling a pickup is not an option for everyone, but if it is an option for someone, it is a better than having to waste time and expensive gas going to the post office. With a pickup, they have to at least scan the scan sheet with your packages.

That aside, the whole post office "we can't scan your package at the counter" thing sounds like a load of hogwash. If you to take them to have them scanned, they are supposed to scan them AND give you a receipt which can be used as proof you sent a package (in case the package doesn't show up in their system after being scanned... which actually has happened to people, for a valuable package I'd never leave the post office without a scan done in front of me and a printed receipt, full stop.)

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

I'm so thankful I live in a small town here.  I take the packages in, they scan them while I'm there, and I know they are done.

I could leave them on the counter and I know they will get scanned.  I can put them in my mailbox and I know they will get scanned when picked up there.

I think this is more about some areas just having different views on what needs to be done so some of you have to deal with the absurdity of them not scanning, probably because its "too much work".

Its not like it takes more than a second per package.   I took in 3 the other day, it took the clerk longer to pick up the wireless hand scanner and walk to the counter than it did to scan them in.  I mean 3 beeps, and done!  lol

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

I always get mine scanned and get a receipt at my Post Office with no problem. You must wait in line to have clerks scan and give you a receipt.

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

I get scans at the counter, and the clerks never put up a fight about it. It takes seconds per package with pre-paid postage.

My PO is close by. One mile round trip on foot. I'm usually there and back in 15 minutes or so. I know some sellers pride themselves on never using the counter, but it's a good excuse for some exercise and human contact. 

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Nice routine.  Glad your USPS is accommodating. 

Posting ID
Message 25 of 25
latest reply