cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller misrepresenting fraudulent items

Beware of Fraudulent items being sold by the seller .  I am surprised that they are still allowed to sell on ebay as I reported them about 3 years ago for the same selling practice.  I have been  collecting Wizard of Oz memorabilia & collectibles for over 40 years and been involved with the Oz community of collectors since the beginning of the internet.  I recently did a search for Oz items on ebay and found a number of items from this seller that jumped off the page at me because they did not "fit" with all the other Oz items being shown on the page.  The seller claims that these items were "props" used in the 1939 classic film - as soon as I opened the auction page for the first item and started reading the description, it sounded very familiar, and  I knew without a doubt it was the same seller I had previously reported.  Their previous seller name was 3765MotorAve in Culver City, Calif. - I use to live on the border of West Los Angeles and Culver City and Motor Avenue was one block away from the street where I lived.  When I found out that this "new" seller name was also in Culver City, I knew it was the same seller.  Anyone with knowledge of movie props and "The Wizard of Oz" would know immediately when they saw what types of items were being sold that these were not props from Oz.   The auction "descriptions" for all the items are exactly the same, word for word - the seller makes all types of ridiculous claims of having years of experience with Hollywood props and studio auctions, but in reading the descriptions, it is very obvious by the misuse of grammar and the English language that this was written by someone whose first language is not english.  No where does it state where the items were "used" or could be seen in the film - if I was considering bidding on an item which was being represented as a prop from a film, I certainly would want to know where it appeared in the film.  Each auction from this seller contains a number of miscellaneous photos from the 1939 film which have nothing to do with the item being auctioned. 

During the time I lived in Los Angeles, I attended many auctions of movie memorabilia.  If this seller's items on ebay are actually what they claim they are, why aren't they being consigned through an auction house that specializes in movie memorabilia instead of an online auction?  A prop from a film would certainly always sell for more through one of these auction houses than on Ebay.  I have repeatedly tried contacting the seller with that question and more, but the will not respond to my emails. 

In addition to the items which are supposed to be props from Oz, the seller also has multiple other items for auction from other classic films & items that were supposedly "owned" by a movie star or celebrity, which in my opinion are also being fraudulently misrepresented.  Do a search of this sellers auctions and take a look for yourself - I look forward to receiving feedback from other ebay sellers and buyers about the validity of what they are selling.  If you feel the same way that I do, report them as I did.  Thank you for taking the time to read my message. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Seller misrepresenting fraudulent items

Your post will be pulled or edited, no 'naming and shaming' on the boards..Ebay frowns on vigilante tactics from self styed 'experts'.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@cinemavt wrote:

If you feel the same way that I do, report them as I did.

I agree that those listings are ridiculous and the wall of text in each description frequently does not even mention what the item is.

But at some point it has to be caveat emptor or buyer beware. Yes - anyone buying those items would have to be seriously stupid - but Ebay is not going to get in the middle of a he said she said dispute over whether something is genuine or not. Its up to the buyer to authenticate the item once he receives it and return it if its not genuine. I find it hard to believe that many buyers with that much money to spend will also be clueless enough to believe the claims being made.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

How can eBay made to be the authenticator of the sellers claims?

He said she said buyer beware.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Luckily for you that you are familiar with those types of items. Ebay will not do anything so just hit the back button. Buyers will decide if they like what they purchase and if they find the items are not authentic they can file a claim with eBay. It is not just OZ stuff but EVERYTHING  on the internet is a gamble if you do not do your diligence prior to bidding.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

How does ebay  know that YOU are  the resident Oz expert ?

You could be  someone trying to remove competition as far as they  know.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply