cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Items Are Disappearing, or Not Showing

For the past few days I've had a lot of issues with selling. I'm not a noob, been doing this for 20 years, but wow am I lost.

1) Many Items are completely gone. 
- Item does not show up in searching Seller Hub

- Item does not show up in the "Unsold" section of Seller Hub
- Item does not show up in searching my store

- Item does not show up in searching all of ebay.

2) TONS of items that I listed today do not show up in ebay search

- 6 hours and no views, no watchers, no bids on 50 items

- Cannot search for them on ebay

- They do show up in Seller Hub
- They do show up when clicked on from Seller Hub

Literally nothing has changed with my store in 20 years. I know for a fact I didn't accidentally change anything. Anyone else seeing any issues?

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Items Are Disappearing, or Not Showing

I just got off the phone after another half-hour call with Manager "Dave". I learned as much as I could but at this point still no firm answers on a fix.

In short, about 3 days ago a big update went in to the system. As per Dave this issue with the listings getting indexed and being delayed up to 24 hours was an "unexpected" consequence of said update. While the indexing protocol has been in play for years, it applies differently to different accounts. For new accounts, the first 25 listings they make automatically go into the indexing protocol and are listed within 24 hours (may be 24, may be sooner). Once through the 25 then it becomes a random indexing hitting about one out of one hundred.

Sellers that have been doing this forever are normally supposedly getting hit with the very random indexing and we are just not noticing it. It seems that the update kicked veteran accounts into reading as beginning accounts. Reportedly I am the sixth one today that he has had to discuss this issue with. All of this is per Dave.

However, we are pretty darn aware of our listings and know when they are up or not. I can not say with 100% confidence that I may have missed the random listing that delays in posting, but I have to say that I have never seen it happen at all. No matter what, we don't have any recourse on this right now so we have to grin and bear it.

As a stop-gap, we are in the process of revising 25 of our lowest selling listings to see if this gets us out of the woods. Figure we can miss out on views on our worst listings to get back to where we were before. I will let you know if that helps. Dave says that a "fix" should be done "fairly quickly".

We will let you know how it goes. Until then, let's keep selling as well as we can in this tough business climate!!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 37 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

I have the same thing, the Item that already have bids have also disappeared.

Message 2 of 62
latest reply

Almost immediately after the disappearance of the list, ebay  sent me an email  asking me to pay for the promotion of the lists. Looks like I'll have to delete everything and move on without ebay.

Message 3 of 62
latest reply

#1 Doesn't and has never happened to me in 20+ years.

If you're 100% sure it's not a mistake on your part, then it has to be a glitch.

#2 If they are are not showing  in the seller hub they don't exist and of course will not show up in a search.

Again, If you're 100% sure it's not a listing error, then it has to be a glitch.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 4 of 62
latest reply

This is not a glitch, it looks like news! I contacted the support service and they answered me after placing the items, now they appear within 30 hours! Items that had bids and also disappeared will probably also appear in 30 hours, because there was an attempt to edit them.

Message 5 of 62
latest reply

@us-mamic wrote:

This is not a glitch, it looks like news! I contacted the support service and they answered me after placing the items, now they appear within 30 hours! Items that had bids and also disappeared will probably also appear in 30 hours, because there was an attempt to edit them.

Sorry, none of that makes sense to me.  And what is this 30 hour thing, never heard of that.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 62
latest reply

How many total listings do you think you should have?  I see 850 when I look at your items.  None of which are auctions.

Don't get overly concerned about number of views, Ebay's counters are often wrong.  I can't tell you how many items I've sold over the years that had no views at all.

What kind of listings are missing?  How old were they?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 62
latest reply

Around 14 hours ago I listed around 120 items. And right now I see around 13 of them appearing, the rest don't show up in search. 

Message 8 of 62
latest reply

@us-mamic

Are you saying that now whenever we list an item, it could now take up to 30 hours before it appears in search?

Message 9 of 62
latest reply

Hey there!

Yes, the exact same thing has happened here at Hyzer Farm. I know that you have been around and doing this forever and this has to be one of the most frustrating things that I have seen. I have now been on the phone 3 times with ebay and am waiting for a return call from a manager. The third person I spoke to finally referred me to a section of their information about listing that involves "indexing". It does state that it "should show up in 24 hours". To find this info you can go to your main ebay seller page, click on "Help and Support" at the top. When the Customer service screen appears type in "index" into the "search ebay help" bar and then click on the second item "Finding your listing".

The only thing is that we have also been doing this for over 20 years, have not changed our listings at all, just added and revised dozens of listings for Memorial Day sales, run over 1000 separate auctions over Black Friday and have not once had an issue like this. I tried playing with it a bit to see if I could get something to work and it was odd. We changed just the quantity on one of our stickers (which had no bad characters in the title). It worked and we thought we were done (because our other titles do include asterisks). However, it appeared for about a minute and then was gone again. Tried revising a listing with asterisks, took them out of title and it also appeared immediately after the revision in the search...and then a minute later also disappeared again. Something is wrong.

As a note, the item does not totally disappear. I added an entirely new listing and then went to active listings and sorted by time left to see the items by what has the most time left. There in the active listings at the top of the column was my new listing. I can click on it, go to the listing, interact with it no problem. However, you can not search for it...even in your own active listings. I type in "Wave" and get three listings with "Wave"...the problem being that the one I just added (wave in Fission plastic) does not show).

This is not acceptable and we will keep on with this to see what is going on. We will keep everyone informed of what we find out and if anyone else hears anything please let us all know so that we can keep on selling!

Thanks and talk to you all soon.

Message 10 of 62
latest reply

Yes

Message 11 of 62
latest reply

Are you folks who are having trouble properly allowing yourselves to be extorted through "promoted listings?"

Serious question.

Message 12 of 62
latest reply

Why shouldn't we be concerned when their numers are always wrong, and when multiple valid complaints about a plethora of longstanding screwups never seem to get addressed?

Message 13 of 62
latest reply

Nope, never went for that. No intention of doing it in the future.

Message 14 of 62
latest reply

Prior to me starting this thread I had over 1000 listings live. Now I have 850ish and none show up in any "ended" or otherwise search. Literally listings just disappeared. I also just (24+ hrs ago) launched 50 brand new auction listings that don't show up to buyers, only in seller hub. I don't care about views per se, but in 20 years I've never had one item, let alone 50, not get one single view or watcher or bid in 24 hours.

The missing listings may or may not be old listings that I constantly add variations to. 

Also, I've never once did the promoted listing stuff.

Message 15 of 62
latest reply