cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Classes in Houston, Texas

Hello, I am interested in learning to sell, etc.  on Ebay.  Do Houston have a active group teaches step-by-step on selling on Ebay.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Ebay Classes in Houston, Texas

@sandra5560 

Don't know about Houston, but you can check out the Ebays Seller School.

https://sellerschool.ebay.com/

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Do you want to work or are you just looking for drop shipping advice? 

I took a seminar at a public library.   The best advice I can give is to say you will learn by doing.  Sell inconsequential things from around your home to learn the basics of selling from taking pictures to filling in the listing form and shipping.  

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

As the toysaver said, you can learn by doing.  

Start with listing something very small, something you could afford to lose, both financially and sentimentally.   One of my first sales was a hand towel from my grandmother's "estate."  It had a chenille flamingo on it.  (She kinda got into the 50s flamingo craze.)  Sure, I remember seeing it in her bathroom and using it when I was a kid in grade school, but it was not really a family heirloom, and didn't fit my own taste.   And it was quite inexpensive.

Another very, very good thing you can do is to read this Selling board regularly, several times a week.   I  have learned a lot about some of the subtleties of selling from carefully reading these discussions. 

One bit of practical advice:  Do NOT start any listing at $0.99.  Just don't.  It might sell for that, and you are committed to send it to the buyer.  

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Sandra,

I don’t mean to sound harsh but on eBay you need to be proactive and use the tools they give you. There are no less than 3 links to selling on every eBay page. As well as a link to handling returns. And for good measure, you should check the link to the eBay MBG so you are aware of the power buyers have. It’s a lot! Good luck!

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@toysaver wrote:

Do you want to work or are you just looking for drop shipping advice? 

I took a seminar at a public library.   The best advice I can give is to say you will learn by doing.  Sell inconsequential things from around your home to learn the basics of selling from taking pictures to filling in the listing form and shipping.  

I agree.

You can take all the classes, watch all the videos, but you won't learn much until you actually get in there and do it.

Have a great day.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I just took a peek at the seller school. That is awesome! I wonder why EBay doesn’t promote that more. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@bearswatching wrote:

I just took a peek at the seller school. That is awesome! I wonder why EBay doesn’t promote that more. 

they do lol, on seller overview page periodically they run messages about it, they also send sellers email invites for "seller school" and "seller school advanced" (for sellers that already have experience)

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@bearswatching wrote:

Yes - the thing about getting actual instruction is that it cuts down on the trial and error method of learning.  Learning by doing is all very well, but without some kind of basic foundation it's very inefficient - I know, because that's how I learned. 😫

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@bearswatching wrote:

Yes - the thing about getting actual instruction is that it cuts down on the trial and error method of learning.  Learning by doing is all very well, but without some kind of basic foundation it's very inefficient - I know, because that's how I learned. 😫

How we all learned...and are better/wiser sellers because of it. IMO getting instruction from ebay who sells nothing, ships nothing, handles nothing is like getting rocket science advice from a 2 year old...quite certain unreliable. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@bearswatching wrote:

How we all learned...and are better/wiser sellers because of it. IMO getting instruction from ebay who sells nothing, ships nothing, handles nothing is like getting rocket science advice from a 2 year old...quite certain unreliable. 

I think it has to do more with understanding policy and procedure, tools, apps, shipping, managed payments, etc.  eBay was easy when I started, but it's a morass for new sellers now.  Better to get your toolbox stocked.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@bearswatching wrote:

I think it has to do more with understanding policy and procedure, tools, apps, shipping, managed payments, etc.  eBay was easy when I started, but it's a morass for new sellers now.  Better to get your toolbox stocked.

all my time is filled with keeping up with policy and procedure changes...so much ebay employees are wrong half the time. I do agree though it has become a continuous maze of complications. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@sandra5560 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Houston-Area-Online-Sellers/gp-p/g-1600005103

You might want to join this......even tho it seems rather sparsely used now.......may be some more info.

The seller groups usually don't do classes, but there may be sellers who do individual classes.....I've seen them as summer classes at universities, etc. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

There's loads of stuff on YouTube, as well.  I wouldn't go for those haul videos or videos on what to sell - just the 'how to' stuff.

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 14
latest reply