cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does eBay send buyers a message that they are blocked now?

I blocked someone yesterday and today they sent me a message that eBay says they can't purchase from me. This person deserved it, as he was rude from the day he purchased. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Does eBay send buyers a message that they are blocked now?

They do get a message only if they try to bid or purchase one of your items.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

No, absolutely not. Ebay never does that. They wouldn't want to scare off potential buyers. The whole platform is based on kissing up to buyers and trying to trick sellers.

In fact, I was told that if you block a buyer who replies to an earlier message they will continue to be able to contact you. You have to call and complain to Ebay to have buyers communications blocked.

Also, when a blocked buyer tries to attempt to purchase from you they will receive an ambiguous message. Something like "there was a problem" or "this buyer may have a limit on amount of items that can be purchased."

I believe the reason they see these messages this way is that Ebay never wants to upset a potential buyer. They'd rather have the seller pulling his/her hair out having to get a buyer blocked and thinking it was done. I had a pushy buyer who I blocked and he was continuing to message and harass me in messages. I told them they were  blocked and  they became livid. When I called Ebay they said "did you message this person back?" I said only to tell them that they were to stop. Ebay said "never message them back and in a few months it will go away." Great answer, just what I wanted to hear. Anyway, it eventually stopped, but only because the person was being ingnored .

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You're answer is incorrect. The buyer never gets a message specifically saying "you've been blocked." That is question.

A blocked buyer gets an ambiguous message like "an error occurred" or "this seller may limit the number of items that can be purchased."

Why? Because Ebay sat around and thought about this. They don't want to turn away buyers who may never come back. So, they partially comply by blocking, but not telling the buyer they've been blocked, using ambiguous terminology.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@acarosel wrote:

A blocked buyer gets an ambiguous message like "an error occurred" or "this seller may limit the number of items that can be purchased."

Actually no, a blocked buyer is told that the seller doesn't want to sell to them. I forget the exact wording now, but just as a demo, I have added you (acarosel) to my Blocked Bidder List, so please try bidding on one of my auctions and let us know what you get in response.

Regarding the messages you quoted above, those are caused by different conditions. The first is a generic error when their system is having an unspecified temporary meltdown, and the second is triggered by the seller preference that allows you to limit the number of multiple sales to a new user within some period of time.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@acarosel wrote:

Actually no, a blocked buyer is told that the seller doesn't want to sell to them. I forget the exact wording now, but just as a demo, I have added you (acarosel) to my Blocked Bidder List, so please try bidding on one of my auctions and let us know what you get in response.

@acarosel: Have you tried yet? What message do you get?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

No.

Posting ID
Message 7 of 7
latest reply