cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller sold me a fake fishing reel

I recently purchased a fishing reel from a seller, I was already a little suspicious of his posting because he only provided 2 pictures from certain angles only but I bought it anyways cause it was only listed at $40 so I thought if it was fake at least it’s not a crazy amount of money. So when I actually got the it in there was so many things that were off, to begin with the box was not the right color and didn’t say the right things on the box. Then when I actually took the reel out the box it was all wrong it looked like a cheap knockoff that was made to try to look like the real one. There were some words on the reel that were wrong and blurry, but you couldn’t see it in the pictures unless you had the product in your hands. This is why the seller only posted 2 pictures, he knew exactly what he was doing. Only posted pictures from the angles that would make the reel seem authentic. So first I contacted the seller and he didn’t reply back so I contacted him again asking him if he saw the message or not and if he was willing to help resolve this issue and if he wasn’t then I would be contacting eBay, mind you I was polite and professional, but what did the seller respond with? In his exact words “Bull I sold many reels like that with no complaints” which was honestly was pretty funny cause he was obviously lying, if

you just pulled up his page and looked at his feedback (I didn’t look before I bought from him) you would see many others saying the same thing, that he sells fake products. So I told him forget it I’ll be contacting eBay, and reported his listing. But what does eBay do? They say his listing didn’t violate their standards, which I think is because you can’t post pictures when reporting a listing. So now I’m currently in the process of trying to get a refund, after initiating the refund I have not heard from the seller since although it has only been a day. Hopefully eBay does not have to step in but at this point it’s looking more and more likely that they might have to.

P.S. 
before anyone asks yes I do have photos of everything as proof but for some reason I cannot post them here.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

when you opened a case, did you choose Item not as described INAD?

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

For the return? Or for reporting his posting?

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Did you open an actual not as described case?Why bother reporting his listing?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

In the case that my item is refunded and sent back, I don’t want him to just take it and resell it to another person.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@chouyofood wrote:

For the return? Or for reporting his posting?

For the return.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Yes I chose that option for the return but like I said it was just yesterday that I did it so I’m still waiting to hear back

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

If you chose INAD it will go through. Just give it a couple of days. I would stop communicating with the seller and if you do, keep it positive and professional. A lot of buyers get frustrated while messaging the sellers and this can complicate things. Just keep it polite and report the item after you get your refund.

-Good Luck

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Yes I did stop communication will the seller, but as of now the refund is still in the hands of the seller because i think according to eBay I have to give the seller 3 days to respond the the request. Thanks for your concerns it just really sucks that sellers like this can continue to do this after multiple people have also said the same thing. 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@chouyofood wrote:

Yes I did stop communication will the seller, but as of now the refund is still in the hands of the seller because i think according to eBay I have to give the seller 3 days to respond the the request. Thanks for your concerns it just really sucks that sellers like this can continue to do this after multiple people have also said the same thing. 

There always will be a small percentage of sellers that will take advantage of the system.  If you make any big purchases (subjective to buyer) i always suggest messaging the seller before hand to see how they respond and how quickly. Of course reading feedback they have and Left (can be revealing) can help identify red flags.

Many may suggest reporting the item is a waste of time but its good to report it.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@chouyofood,f

"Yes I chose that option for the return but like I said it was just yesterday that I did it so I’m still waiting to hear back".

If you filed an item not as described dispute it will show up on your my ebay summary page,  the seller will have 3 days to reply, either sending you a return label or issuing a full refund if they do not want to pay the return shipping.  If they haven't replied in that time on day 4 you open the dispute and use the ask ebay to step in button. 

On the listing page use the more details button below where it says Buy With Confidence.

Don't worry about the seller re-listing it, that is not your problem. If they keep listing fake brand named reels they won't be around for much longer.  Their feedback percentage is very low already.

For future reference always check a seller's feedback profile page before buying from one, no matter what their percentage is. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for all your concerns and advice! It’s really nice to see the when the ebay community shows positivity! Unfortunately the seller’s reviews weren’t all too bad because he sold other things and not just reels and the majority of the negative reviews were about him selling fake reels. But you did remind me that I forgot to put in my forum post that the reason why I made this post was to inform buyers to watch out when sellers do any sort of shady tactics like this. Thanks all! 

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

How are you initiating the refund?  What you have to do is go to the item in your Purchase History, click on "want to return" and then click on "not as described".  After that, you wait 3 days for a response from the seller. No response and no prepaid return label? Then go back to the case and ask eBay to step in.  ALL eBay buyers need to get acquainted with the Money Back Guarantee, preferably before they start making purchases here. It's really quite good when used correctly and in the right time frame, within 30 days of receiving the defective item.  And, actually, the buyer isn't required to post pictures or to prove his claim.

Please read the MBG. 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

As I stated in my post I already did all of that last night, I know about the eBay money back guarantee already, and yes I know the seller is not required to post pictures. My issue with this case is that the seller in particular posted 2 pictures of the reel at only at certain angles to mislead buyers into purchasing what they think is an authentic reel and you’d only know it was fake from seeing it at other angles, meaning that this seller is knowingly selling counterfeits and purposely misleading buyers. 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@chouyofood wrote:

If the seller doesn't respond within the 3 day time requirement with either a refund (without return) or a return shipping label, you can go back to the case and in the dropdown box, request ebay to step in. Once you do that, you'll get your refund. 

If the seller does send the shipping label, return it to him and after tracking shows delivery to the seller, he'll have 2 days to issue the refund or you can ask ebay to do it.

You will be made whole, but it's not going to happen (usually) in 1 day since you opened the case!

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 19
latest reply