cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received item that I didn't buy

Yesterday, I got a harmonica in the mail from a lady in Los Angeles.  I didn't buy a harmonica and I haven't bought anything from anyone in LA in 3 months.  I did an advanced search for her name, item and area but nothing came up since I don't have her ebay name.  Everything I've bought this month has been delivered so I don't know what to do.  Is there any way to track her down by her name?

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Received item that I didn't buy

You say it was from "a lady in Los Angeles"... did you discern that from the return shipping label? If you feel compelled to return it, use that address. Were it me... I'd toss the harmonica and be done with it. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Did you do a search of sold harmonicas on ebay? If you can't find it, sit down and enjoy the harmonica.  Enjoy it.  You won't be forced to return it or to pay for it.   You can also write a letter and send it to the name and address on the package and tell them what you received and if they want it , they need to email you a return shipping label to your email address and you will return it.  

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I would return it to the post and tell them to return it to the sender

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Maybe it's a freebie from a previous buyer? Give to a kid.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I would return it to the post and tell them to return it to the sender

After the package has been opened, the OP would have to pay return shipping. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Some harmonicas can be very expensive.

So giving it to a kid would be a shame, unless the kid is a musician.

Return to Sender doesn't work if the package has been opened.

Writing  snail mail letter to the originating address on the package seems logical and costs less than a dollar.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Was your name on the package?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thanks everyone.  It will be an unsolved mystery for now.  I think I'm returning it to her with a note.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I have received dozens (actually 70+ items) of eBay Order returns which are not mine. Did not open. I attempted "return to sender", though the buyer simply resends it to what they believe is the correct return address. What do I do with these items? I now throw them away. There seems to be something really wrong with the eBay address database. Earlier in the year I received a 1099-K Seller Tax Form that wasn't mine. I didn't sell anything in 2022. I reported it to what I believe is a "live" person via the chatbot support portal and she said that the problem would be corrected. Then I closed my original eBay thinking my address would be removed from the system. Nope. Still receiving returns. Had to create a new account so that I could actually contact support. However, now I cannot actually connect with anyone at eBay via the phone or email. What's up eBay?

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

PS: Actually, I did open the first item received because I thought I was receiving something I bout on my original account. Wish I was getting nice harmonicas! I could open a harmonica store.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply