cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay search engine algorithm changed to be too general: PLEASE COMPLAIN ABOUT IT!

Some time during the past week or so eBay has changed its search engine algorithm so that anyone searching for a specific item will get hundreds of results instead of the few that actually apply. This has the result of frustrating potential buyers and harming both sellers and buyers.

For example a search for "November 1977 Byte Magazine" yields 326 results and the only way you can pare it down is to use the left side categories. Many buyers will not have the patience or skill to do this and will give up instead of being able to compare price and condition and make a purchase.

Worse, the results are not even close to what someone is looking for: Different years, different titles, some things that are not even magazines!

A week ago you would have simply gotten the 5 relevant results you needed.

Another example: 1958 Pennsylvania Railroad Brochure now yields an incredible 211 results, 99% of which are not from that year.

Why would anyone think this is a better way to do search? Please complain as the only way to get this changed back is to make your voices heard in large numbers!

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Ebay search engine algorithm changed to be too general: PLEASE COMPLAIN ABOUT IT!

I specifically searched to see if anyone else brought up how hard Etsy sucks just like this. Amazon does the same thing...eBay was the last holdout. It's especially gross when you search for something as specific as a phone screen protector! Stop showing results for phones that aren't compatible. What, you think I'll be so dazzled by these other fifty kinds of product that I'll buy a new phone? Hilarous. And as for the results that are teapots, mosquito nets, and sandals? Drop freaking dead, y'all.

Message 31 of 38
latest reply

Re: Ebay search engine algorithm changed to be too general: PLEASE COMPLAIN ABOUT IT!

Hi! This is making selling for me impossible as I always search for lowest price including postage and I try and price my item accordingly. Now I get a list of completely irrelevant items so if this is happening to me trying to research my own prices then it must be impossible for those buying. It's a joke!!  Is the only way to complain by calling them or is there another method? 

Message 32 of 38
latest reply

I've just done the same search on my phone and I get relevant results. Why on my Mac do I get utter rubbish but on my phone it's ok? So now I'll have to do my research on my phone and then I prefer listing stuff on my Mac. What a pain in the backside. Just putting me off selling on here as just making it so much harder and more time consuming

Message 33 of 38
latest reply

Yes, the search engine imploded when the original post in this thread occurred, returning a multitude of irrelevant results in saved searches. And hasn't changed since. It used to work, stopped working, and hasn't improved. What is it that eBay customers are supposed to do? Complain to who? Where?

Message 34 of 38
latest reply

Yes, the search engine imploded when the original post in this thread occurred, returning a multitude of irrelevant results in saved searches. And hasn't changed since. It used to work, stopped working, and hasn't improved. What is it that eBay customers are supposed to do?

If you are using Best Match sort, try a different sort order.

The search the OP was describing seems to work for me when not using "Best Match":

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=November+1977+Byte+Magazine&_sacat=0&_sop=10

I get seven results that all contain the relevant issue.

You can report the problem with "Best Match" to eBay using the "Tell us what you think" link on the search results page if you are using a desktop browser.

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

I've just done the same search on my phone and I get relevant results. Why on my Mac do I get utter rubbish but on my phone it's ok?

Are you doing the same search on both devices? Is it possible your Mac is using a different sort order?

If you are using Best Match, try another sort order such as Newly Listed or Ending Soonest.

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

Erm… no when I search Mizuno MP14 irons I get every model of MP Mizuno irons ever made when there is only 5 listings of the actual model, eBay is brain dead and they change things all the time, it used to work well like 5 years ago, there’s a saying, “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it”

Message 37 of 38
latest reply

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

Message 38 of 38
latest reply