cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heads up: FEMA alert to all cell phones etc. October 4 at 2:20 PM Eastern time

In just  a few minutes, FEMA will be testing their alert system.  Us old-timers remember TV alerts. Now it's in your pocket; don't have a heart attack.

"Every television, radio and cellphone in the United States is going to broadcast a message on Wednesday along the lines of: “THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed.”"

Details:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/30/us/test-alert-us-october.html

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Heads up: FEMA alert to all cell phones etc. October 4 at 2:20 PM Eastern time

Mine arrived 2 minutes early at 2:18 P.M. 

Why did that alert happen early?

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Re: Heads up: FEMA alert to all cell phones etc. October 4 at 2:20 PM Eastern time

@jewelbiz 

Well either your on a New York minute or it's the W.H. stating the border is now fully open!!!

( pick your poison, Jewel!)

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

And it was 2:17 here.  I guess I should have been more accurate; FEMA said, "About 2:20."

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

AAh! that's what the crazy FaceBook meme I saw was about!

The nutbar was claiming that the test would activate all 5G networks and turn everyone who had been vaccinated against the Margrove (?) virus into zombies.

The methodology and the purpose of this was not explained.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Duck and cover.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I turned off government alerts on my cell a while ago. 
But thanks for the heads up. 

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

Duck and cover.

@simba6

I thought I was the last one left who sings that when I hear 'em! 🎶  🤣

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

@ebooksdiva 

Really?  My understanding is that this one cannot be turned off.  So did you get an alert, or not, if you don't mind my asking.   (Of course, a phone can just be turned off for a few minutes around the announced time of an alert, if getting an alert would really be bothersome.)

I got it at 2:18 PM EST and I was expecting it, having seen the announcement on the news a few days ago.

-

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

we commented it was a great time for an attack.......lol (errr, not so lol).......  Odd thing is Russia had one today also.  (an alert)

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

@ebooksdiva 

Three weeks ago during vacation, I (and every other cell phone down the shoreline I sat on) received a local PD alert:

BOLO-INMATE ESCAPE

BLACK MALE

HEIGHT: 5 FT 4 IN

DISTINGUISHING FEATURES: GOLD TEETH

NOTES: MAY BE ON BICYCLE

IF SEEN, PLEASE CONTACT __PD, PHONE #___-___-____

That one seemed so odd to all us beach bums. We all looked around a bit... and then started laughing at ourselves. 🤣

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect 

I saw it... it was also on TV.  Thanks for the heads up!

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Got the alert at 14:18.  All I could think was "If this was an actual message it would contain actual information. Thank you for letting us pester you."

I'd ask if the aliens were attacking, but I think they've been running Washington DC for a while now. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@maxine*j 

In iPhone select Notifications scroll all the way down to bottom to Government Alerts 

Toggle all 4 to off. I don’t know about android cell phones 

No… I didn’t get the alert. 

IMG_1816.png

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

You do know that Emergency Alerts could include severe weather, fire, tornado warnings? 

I don't have tracking turned on, but if I was solo out in the boonies, I would turn it back on. 

Not like they can't find you unless the phone is off but got to wonder if that is true or not (phone shut off if you have it with you). Ma ha ha

Got to go make a new tin foil hat! 🙂

Message 15 of 21
latest reply