cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heads up: FEMA alert to all cell phones etc. October 4 at 2:20 PM Eastern time

In just  a few minutes, FEMA will be testing their alert system.  Us old-timers remember TV alerts. Now it's in your pocket; don't have a heart attack.

"Every television, radio and cellphone in the United States is going to broadcast a message on Wednesday along the lines of: “THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed.”"

Details:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/30/us/test-alert-us-october.html

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Heads up: FEMA alert to all cell phones etc. October 4 at 2:20 PM Eastern time

I know how to do all that on my phone.  And most of the alerts I do have turned off.  But I cannot disable the one sent out today, and my understanding is that on one can. 

That's why I asked if you did or did not receive the Alert today, assuming you had your phone turned on.  Not that you have to answer, but I am curious.  Even in airplane mode, muted, or with WiFi disabled, the alert is received, according to FEMA.  

This is what the FCC says:

"In the nationwide WEA test, FEMA will send a test National Alert.  Under the WARN Act, participating wireless carriers may offer their subscribers the capability to block all WEAs except National Alerts."

"In passing the WARN Act, Congress allowed participating wireless carriers to offer subscribers the capability to block all WEAs except National Alerts."

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/wireless-emergency-alerts-wea

-

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Re: Heads up: FEMA alert to all cell phones etc. October 4 at 2:20 PM Eastern time

@reallynicestamps wrote:

AAh! that's what the crazy FaceBook meme I saw was about!

The nutbar was claiming that the test would activate all 5G networks and turn everyone who had been vaccinated against the Margrove (?) virus into zombies.

The methodology and the purpose of this was not explained.

I find it more fun to go back to the nutbar AFTER their predicted event has not happened and ask them to explain why it didnt. Its kind of like pinging the ranters here for updates on how their promised 'lawsuite' is working out. 😂

I heard the radio version of the emergency alert and the only thing that occurred to me at the time was that the spoken message portion about how this was just a test was the worst borderline-unintelligible spoken message that I had heard in a long time. It sounded like they recorded it from a phone call circa 1966.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

I know how to do all that on my phone.  And most of the alerts I do have turned off.  But I cannot disable the one sent out today, and my understanding is that on one can. 

@maxine*j 

Thanks for the research. I felt that no one could disable them either. 🤔

@ebooksdiva 

Android here. I couldn't find a way to disable mine, but I'll check with one of the grandkids. 😉

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Blasted my phone right in the middle of an electrical inspection. Splendid!

I was unaware that it was supposed to happen... Figured at that moment, " hey, the world is ending... Can we wrap this up"?

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@reallynicestamps wrote:

AAh! that's what the crazy FaceBook meme I saw was about!

The nutbar was claiming that the test would activate all 5G networks and turn everyone who had been vaccinated against the Margrove (?) virus into zombies.

The methodology and the purpose of this was not explained.

I find it more fun to go back to the nutbar AFTER their predicted event has not happened and ask them to explain why it didnt. Its kind of like pinging the ranters here for updates on how their promised 'lawsuite' is working out. 😂

I heard the radio version of the emergency alert and the only thing that occurred to me at the time was that the spoken message portion about how this was just a test was the worst borderline-unintelligible spoken message that I had heard in a long time. It sounded like they recorded it from a phone call circa 1966.

The Qbots are too busy thinking up the next thing, but 12-dimensional chess is exhausting work when you can't even play the 3-dimensional version.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Pretty crazy. NONE of my friends or relatives know my cell # but FEMA does. Big brother is no longer just watching.....

Message 21 of 21
latest reply