cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does eBay regard "Bear Spray" as "Pepper Spray"? I am having trouble buying something.

Hi.   I live in Wisconsin, and I am planning a trip into the rockies next month.  I went to a local cabelas to check out bear spray to defend myself, but found them really over priced.  I purchased some on ebay last night, but my payment was refunded and the seller claimed he could not ship the item to my location due to eBay policy.

I am very confused.  This exact same bear spray is available, locally.   He then sent me the regulation from eBay:

"

You can also list pepper spray, disguised pepper spray, or mace as long as:

The item is shipped domestically. Sellers state in their listings that they won't accept bids from people located in places where stun guns are illegal. This includes Hawaii, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Washington, D.C., and Wisconsin."

Bear spray is not pepper spray.  It contains similar ingredients but is for **bleep** BEARS, not people.  It's also available to purchase locally through tons of outdoor sporting goods stores.  

On Wikipedia:  

"Bear spray is legal across the United States. It can be purchased even in Hawaii, New York, or Massachusetts, where standard pepper sprays are illegal unless bought locally by certified firearms dealers or pharmacists."

What the heck???

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: Does eBay regard "Bear Spray" as "Pepper Spray"? I am having trouble buying

The part of the regulation that states:

"Sellers state in their listings that they won't accept bids from people located in places where stun guns are illegal."

makes no sense; what has stunguns to do with pepper spray or bear spray, which is weak pepper spray. Well, that's ebay! Guess ebay will just lose more sales to Amazon when someone wants to buy pepper spray or bear spray.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply