cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay does not value the safety of its members -

- Sold an item, and received a return request as "not as described" - The return reason was a bunch of jibberish and typos.

- We all know the game, if the return is opened the seller must accept.

- I then received a message from the buyer where the buyer told me "he knows people and will find me and (cause bodily harm, but in not as a polite way)

I brought this to ebays attention and was told to provide a shipping label and they can appeal.

afte rrequesting a supervisor

I pointed out this person told me he will find me and cause bodily harm, I have a young child in my house, and giving him my address is not an option.

The rep that told me he lives 2700 miles away

I mentioned to the rep I take all threats of bodily harm seriously, and if you dont please provide a neutral ebay address for him to mail the item back i'll pay the add'l costs.

I reminded the supervisor that under no circumstances will i provide my address to this lunatic.

The rep reminded me to produce a label or i will receive a defect. 

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: eBay does not value the safety of its members -

Having things done "my way" as if receiving threats of bodily harm to begin with would be how I would want this transaction to go. Thank you for the thoughtful post.

Message 31 of 71
latest reply

@savorysolutions wrote:

Having things done "my way" as if receiving threats of bodily harm to begin with would be how I would want this transaction to go. Thank you for the thoughtful post.

Once again, no one participating in this thread can do a dang thing about your issue. No one.

Message 32 of 71
latest reply

I once had a buyer threaten me bodily harm and cussed me out through ebay messaging.  They sent me like 5 or 6 messages.  Ebay kicked them off within 30 minutes, it's the only time I've ever witnessed eBay do something so quickly.  I did call them and report the buyer.  I'm not sure if I just got a rep that was able to forward it immediately to the trust and safety team or if maybe my reporting was the last straw.  Either way, within 30 minutes they were no longer a registered user.  I'd try calling back and seeing if you can have this person's ID forwarded to the trust and safety team.  And also make sure you report them as well. 

Message 33 of 71
latest reply

@savorysolutions wrote:

The original label does have my return address, however i dont think he kept the box,

So what you are saying is that you don't know.

Message 34 of 71
latest reply

Fair point 

- part of my hope that a decision maker on ebay would take note to how this was handled. 

Message 35 of 71
latest reply

Shouldn't eBay immediately close any dispute in the seller's favor with messages like this sent? What if I was a seller, sent this to a buyer????

Message 36 of 71
latest reply

@savorysolutions wrote:

The purpose of the thread was bring attention to ebays attitude as it pertains to the safety of sellers, not for advise on what i need to do.  I have 2 loaded shotguns one in the trunk and one in the house, I live in a stand your ground state, and Ive already notified police. 

The discussion was more rooted toward ebays attitude as it pertains to clear threats being made against its members and highly flawed resolution process

You've done nothing but reply to every person who has posted here and insulted several of them, saying they are unthinking individuals. If your purpose for posting truly was to bring attention to an area you feel eBay is failing, why do you feel the need to bash others who disagree with you. (No question mark as that is a rhetorical question.) You are allowed to feel the way that you do, but this is a forum for discussion and others have the right to post a disagreement without the need for your rude comments back. If you don't like the reply from another poster, simply ignore it and post replies to those who agree with you....

Message 37 of 71
latest reply

I would not call this a "credible" threat.

A buyer blowing off steam from 2700 miles away.

I would handle this like any other return.

Accept the return and pay for return shipping.

So what if he gets my address (again).

I know  that's easy for me to say because i'm not the one in your shoes.

If you really think it's a credible threat just refund the buyer and take the loss.

No amount of money is worth your health/safety.

One other thing I was thinking...

Is it possible to change the ebay settings for your return address before accepting the return?

Perhaps change it to a friend/relative/neighbors address?

Good luck!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 38 of 71
latest reply

What if a seller sent  that message to a buyer??  What would happen to the seller? 

Message 39 of 71
latest reply

@savorysolutions wrote:

recommending i produce another address for this buyer (who really should be kicked off for making threats) for where I might be might be the least thoughtfull forum post of all time if i'm being honest.

If you're referring to me, I did not recommend providing another address. In fact, I did not recommend anything.

I objectively told you what some of your options were, giving you the opportunity to evaluate those options and make an informed decision. I kept opinions and recommendations out of my post.

If you don't like the options you have you can submit feedback to eBay. Social media is a better platform if you want to call attention to something than this small community will ever be. Decide if you want to take that route because it appears you're unhappy with responses on this tiny forum and a larger platform opens you up to more responses you may not like.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 40 of 71
latest reply

@savorysolutions  Hover over your name at the extreme top left of page and click on ‘Account Settings’ then Click on Addresses

Message 41 of 71
latest reply

Yes - I did affirm that my address was on the return label -

However  I (and i believe most other thinking individuals) would agree that sending him my address a second time through this label would create a higher safety concern. 

If the buyer wants your return address it is not that hard to obtain. While I have not bought anything on eBay in awhile I am sure the buyer has the tracking number. He could simply take it to the post office tell them he needs to return the item shipped under this tracking ID, provide the tracking number and identification showing he was the recipient and I am guessing USPS would provide the return address information. 

It may also be extractable from the order information on the buyers end but since I have not purchased anything in awhile I cannot confirm that. 

Message 42 of 71
latest reply

I once had a buyer threaten me bodily harm and cussed me out through ebay messaging.  They sent me like 5 or 6 messages.  Ebay kicked them off within 30 minutes, it's the only time I've ever witnessed eBay do something so quickly.  I did call them and report the buyer.  I'm not sure if I just got a rep that was able to forward it immediately to the trust and safety team or if maybe my reporting was the last straw.  Either way, within 30 minutes they were no longer a registered user.  I'd try calling back and seeing if you can have this person's ID forwarded to the trust and safety team.  And also make sure you report them as well. 

That is all well and good but a NARU'ed buyer, unlike a seller,  can setup another account in a matter of minutes or utilize a guest account. 

Message 43 of 71
latest reply

Yahooo we have a solution. 

Message 44 of 71
latest reply

I believe you can go into options and change your return address: make it a local post office or other shipping location.  After you print the label, change your addres back to original.  As others have stated, there are other options.

Message 45 of 71
latest reply