cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay does not value the safety of its members -

- Sold an item, and received a return request as "not as described" - The return reason was a bunch of jibberish and typos.

- We all know the game, if the return is opened the seller must accept.

- I then received a message from the buyer where the buyer told me "he knows people and will find me and (cause bodily harm, but in not as a polite way)

I brought this to ebays attention and was told to provide a shipping label and they can appeal.

afte rrequesting a supervisor

I pointed out this person told me he will find me and cause bodily harm, I have a young child in my house, and giving him my address is not an option.

The rep that told me he lives 2700 miles away

I mentioned to the rep I take all threats of bodily harm seriously, and if you dont please provide a neutral ebay address for him to mail the item back i'll pay the add'l costs.

I reminded the supervisor that under no circumstances will i provide my address to this lunatic.

The rep reminded me to produce a label or i will receive a defect. 

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: eBay does not value the safety of its members -

The purpose of the thread was bring attention to ebays attitude as it pertains to the safety of sellers, not for advise on what i need to do.  I have 2 loaded shotguns one in the trunk and one in the house, I live in a stand your ground state, and Ive already notified police. 

The discussion was more rooted toward ebays attitude as it pertains to clear threats being made against its members and highly flawed resolution process

Message 16 of 71
latest reply

@savorysolutions wrote:

is there anyone that can help and actually put some thought in their replies rather than just post to get their post count up?

Here's a reply into which I've put a great deal of thought:  This discussion board is part of a peer-to-peer community consisting of buyers and sellers just like you. No one here can resolve your issue. Period. End of story.

Contact customer service if the comments provided here don't meet your expectations. You might also consider trying to refrain from insulting others who are trying to help you.

Message 17 of 71
latest reply

Can you quote EXACTLY what he said?

What you quoted earlier doesn't look like an exact quote.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 18 of 71
latest reply

Shouldnt ebay or the buyer be responsible for this small fee?

Message 19 of 71
latest reply

Did you file a police report?

I am sorry to hear the lack of safety awareness and responsiveness from Ebay.

Message 20 of 71
latest reply

I donktn ow if I can copy paste exactly what he wrote for fear of violating foum policy but -  I will redact best i can

"

Apr 19
The buyer sent you a message
ok i gonna sew your dum (AAA) how about that i no pluty people how work for goverment you be sorry i prommise and i gonna find you kick your (AAA)

(AAA) = is how i am replacing what he said 
Message 21 of 71
latest reply

@savorysolutions 

A couple of people have already asked this, but I haven't noticed your response:  Have you filed a police report?

Message 22 of 71
latest reply

The purpose of the thread was bring attention to ebays attitude as it pertains to the safety of sellers, not for advise on what i need to do.  I have 2 loaded shotguns one in the trunk and one in the house, I live in a stand your ground state, and Ive already notified police. 

The discussion was more rooted toward ebays attitude as it pertains to clear threats being made against its members and highly flawed resolution process

As you may or may not be aware eBay customer support is pretty much useless these days and will tell you what you want to hear to get you off the phone. If you want to talk to somebody that MAY be able to do something try the facebook connection. I am quite familiar with Florida's stand your ground law I live in a state that has similar laws as do about 1/2 of the states in the US. However, few have been tested in the courts. 

Message 23 of 71
latest reply

His local juristiction told me to file with my juristiction.

I am on hold with my local pd now.

Message 24 of 71
latest reply

@savorysolutions wrote:

The purpose of the thread was bring attention to ebays attitude as it pertains to the safety of sellers, not for advise on what i need to do...

When you post here, people assume you want advice or help and do their best to provide it.  If all you want is discussion, that's fine but you must make that clear up front.

So, for the purpose of discussion:  Because eBay has something like 18 million active sellers, it cannot provide individualized personal security measures for each of them.   That is especially true given that no two of the sellers would have the same security concerns, or the same reaction to perceived threats. So each user must decide what is a credible threat, and act in accordance.

All the years I was an active seller, I used a Post Office Box, which worked well for me to keep a bit of privacy and distance from the occasional weird buyer.  (Not that I had many, because I didn't sell to the demographic that breeds them.)

So, those are my general thoughts and I offer you no opinion or advice about your specific situation.

-

Message 25 of 71
latest reply

Retired law enforcement here.

A lot of people say they were threatened when in fact they were not.

That was definitely a threat.

As others have said, I would report it to law enforcement.

As for as a "safe" place for the customer to return the package,

doesn't the customer already have your return address?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 26 of 71
latest reply

Yes - I did affirm that my address was on the return label -

However  I (and i believe most other thinking individuals) would agree that sending him my address a second time through this label would create a higher safety concern. 

Message 27 of 71
latest reply

@savorysolutions wrote:

- Sold an item, and received a return request as "not as described" - The return reason was a bunch of jibberish and typos.

- We all know the game, if the return is opened the seller must accept.

Right.

@savorysolutions wrote:

- I then received a message from the buyer where the buyer told me "he knows people and will find me and (cause bodily harm, but in not as a polite way)

The buyer is an idiot. No argument there. But if you receive a Not As Described return request then your choice is to either send a return label OR refund without returning. Did you refuse the return and THEN get the threat?

If we ignore the ridiculous threat for the moment then the bottom line is that the buyer wants to return the laptop. I understand it was shipped without either a battery or a power supply which would require the buyer to go out and buy both - something I suspect he did not notice when buying your laptop. Just send the return label. No one is going to come to your house to do something or other to you based on one idiot threat from 2700 miles away. 

@savorysolutions wrote:

I have a young child in my house, and giving him my address is not an option.

[...]

I have 2 loaded shotguns one in the trunk and one in the house, I live in a stand your ground state, and Ive already notified police.

Having not one but two LOADED shotguns around a house with one or more children is a REALLY stupid idea. Unload them and keep them locked away securely and separate from the ammunition.

You can read more about basic rules of gun safety on the NRA website here: https://gunsafetyrules.nra.org/

Message 28 of 71
latest reply

Hi @savorysolutions 

You said that you were willing to "pay the add'l costs" to have the item sent to eBay ... and then having the package resent to you.

But when it was suggested that you rent a PO Box to receive the package ... incurring the additional costs was suddenly out of the question.  ["I need to incur costs because ebay wont deal with a buyer making threats?"]

I'm left to think you are only open to having things done your way.

eBay is not neither our body guard nor our parent.  It is a selling venue run by a computer.  I'm frankly astounded that you are expecting eBay to do something for you that it hasn't done for another member since its inception ... and apparently are unwilling to consider any other suggestions.

Message 29 of 71
latest reply

Your blurb at the bottom about gun safety is fair, and I will take under advisement. - It is unclear if why hes returning it is because of the battery, seeing as how he (claims to be) a pc tech i cant say that for sure as batteries/chargers for these run for $2-$5 - Also the computer itself sold for 20 bucks w./free shipping.

---

As far as the rest, I will provide the entire chain:

Here's what happened

Apr 19
ok i gonna sew your dum (AAA) how about that i no pluty people how work for goverment you be sorry i prommise and i gonna find you kick your (AAA)

(AAA) is where I repalced the language with what he used.  

Apr 19
You sent a message
They are loaded the specifications are detailed in the description you need to provide SPECIFICS as to what wasnt as described for us to have a discussion

Apr 19
You sent a message
Can you give specifics as to what isnt as described??

Apr 19
WHY CAN I NOT SREE MY SHIPPING LABELS FOR BOTH PC,S

Apr 19
this pc NOT HI PERFOMAQNCE GAMEING LAPTOP IT JUNK TRASH I ASK YOPU ABOUT THAT YOU SAID THEWRE LOADED GAMING LAPTOPS NOT EVEN CLOSE LIKE I SAID I AM PC TECK NOT DUM (AAA) WELL I GUESS I AM BECAUSE I BOT YOURE JUNK

Apr 19
You sent a message

Apr 19
The buyer (AAA) created a return (AAA)
Order number
(AAA)

Reason for return
Doesn't match description or photos

Comments
need shipping labels for both junk pc,s lier

Address
Douglas Savory