cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THE RIVER IS NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY ABOUT THIS!!

A good thing that Ebay requires receipts from new sellers listing lots of new, designer, items. The river should have been so thorough.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-mom-alleged-ringleader-behind-185020113.html

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: THE RIVER IS NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY ABOUT THIS!!

I was surprised by that article as well.   I just assuming that all the thieves were thugs or gangbangers.   

Funny story...Governor Newsome was in a Target store in Sacramento and witnessed thieves walking out with a shopping cart of merchandise.   He told the store clerk "aren't you going to go after those thieves" and they replied "the Governor said anything less $900 is free".   He was furious and said "I AM THE GOVERNOR and you are mistaken about the law".  

Actually the law says non-violent criminals who steal less than $900 (only a misdemeanor offense) are eligible for "catch & release".   The reason they have "catch & release" because it is unfair to poor people who can't afford to pay bail (otherwise even if you were innocent and have to remain in prison until your trial).  Honestly, I think they should repeal this "catch & release" law.   The same people are robbing people over and over again (they are catching about 100 every day and charging them with "felony conspiracy" because they work in groups).   Police have recovered millions of dollars in stolen merchandise.   

Thief is so bad that many business in California have permanently closed.   Other business don't allow you to pay with cash anymore. 

Message 16 of 34
latest reply

I remember that story about Newsome. Theres also a poster in here that posted her story about a smash and grab attack when she was in a store. It was terrifying, and the clerks just froze.Who could blame them?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 17 of 34
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

"These headlines are usually about sellers who had legitimate accounts at some time, who branched out into criminality."

Idk, but if an Amazon seller with an established account suddenly began listing hundreds of designer items, that wouldnt put them on Amazons radar? It certainly does here. You see all these complaints in here from long time sellers who have listed a pricey item or two, and their funds are held, and proof of purchase demanded.

In order to list those items, an Amazon seller would need to have been pre-approved for the brand or the category. Approval requires wholesale invoices for items to be listed, If only category approval was required, they could branch out to other brands. If brand approval was required, they will need wholesale invoices from the manufacturer or authorized wholesale distributor.

Obviously, once approved they could fence product until they were caught.

If there is an indication of a problem, sellers are asked for wholesale invoices to support 6 months or a year's sales.

I have offered 1930's sales brochures on Amazon for Electrolux. Had them taken down. Was told I needed wholesale invoices and Electrolux approval to sell them.

Amazon is a much bigger PITA than Ebay. And Amazon takes down an enormous number of listings because of their actions. Amazon usually responds to this sort of negative PR with an enormous count of listings they have closed and seller accounts which have been closed. As big as this ring appears to be, it has moved a tiny portion of sales of these products on Amazon.

As big as Ebay feels, it is low volume compared to Amazon and Walmart online. And it is even smaller than Target.

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

True,Ive heard those stories about Amazon..

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

@bonjourami 

"Theres also a poster in here that posted her story about a smash and grab attack when she was in a store. It was terrifying, and the clerks just froze.Who could blame them?"

About 15 years ago, a shoplifter in the "big-box" book store where I was then employed, set off the security alarms in the movie and music section, in which I was the Lead Person.  I yelled at him to stop (which of course he ignored); and I hurriedly ran after him, as he threaded his way through the meandering aisles within the store.

As soon as he exited the front of the building, he took off across the parking lot -- and I took off right behind him -- 60+ years old and definitely out-of-condition, plus a previous 3 pack a day smoker.  He couldn't find his "pick up" partner (that guy had exited through another exit, after seeing me taking off after his "leg-man"), and he ran up and down, back and forth, across the parking lot, with me barking "Stop! Thief!" behind him.

Finally, a driver in a car realized what was happening, and swung open his car door, just as the thief was running in front of the car.  The thief bounced backwards, and fell to the ground, and the driver just stood above him, and yelled "Stay down!"

The driver and I both took him back inside the store (one in front, and one behind), and handed the thief over to security, who had called the police.  The police took the thief into custody, and probably added another line to his rap sheet.

As for me:  I was called into the manager's office, and given a very stern warning regarding the chain's policy regarding shoplifters, and how I had violated that policy, and had placed both myself and others at risk of personal liability, and possible threat of harm from the thief, and why the store would not have protected me from liability had the thief intended to sue, etc, etc, etc -- and my actions were formally documented in the form of a written reprimand and added to my personnel file.

And then the Assistant Store Manager who had chewed me out handed me a $25.00 gift card, smiled, and said "You shouldn't have done that, and don't do it again.  But thank you."

Message 20 of 34
latest reply

Omg..you're brave!

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo  according to the article, she was selling on Amazon Marketplace. Don't know if it is as restrictive as Amazon dot com. Never sold on either.

Message 22 of 34
latest reply

I live in California and yes...you are correct. Sellers are and have been being looked over with a magnifying glass by eBay per the government now. Living in the center of all these robberies over the years...walking distance from downtown San Francisco. These sellers better have receipts for items they are trying to sell nowadays.

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

@tobaccocardyahoo  according to the article, she was selling on Amazon Marketplace. Don't know if it is as restrictive as Amazon dot com. Never sold on either.

Amazon marketplace is Amazon.com. Products are sold and fulfilled by Amazon or by marketplace sellers - sold by the sellers and either fulfilled by the seller or by Amazon. This crook was apparently fulfilling her own orders, like Ebay sellers do.

It is increasingly restrictive which is why many sellers who left Ebay for Amazon are back on Ebay.

Neither Amazon nor Ebay is a place that sellers love, but many sellers can figure out where they make more money.

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

@tools* wrote:

@bonjourami wrote:

A good thing that Ebay requires receipts from new sellers listing lots of new, designer, items. The river should have been so thorough.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-mom-alleged-ringleader-behind-185020113.html

It's ironic that it was reported by Fox News, as she's their base.

Ironic?

Fox News viewers are "law and order" types.  

They don't like to see people burning stores because a cop killed someone.

They don't like woke cho-mo's trying to convince little boys to 'cut it off'.

That's all the progressive communists.

YOU know.

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

@bonjourami 

"Omg..you're brave!"

No.

I was angry -- that happened on MY watch.

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

@caldreamer wrote:

I was surprised by that article as well.   I just assuming that all the thieves were thugs or gangbangers.   

Her case isn’t unusual. Hopefully this will help change your bias.

Message 27 of 34
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

Amazon is far more restrictive about who can sell many brands and types of item than Ebay, Amazon does not accept retail receipts, for example.

These headlines are usually about sellers who had legitimate accounts at some time, who branched out into criminality.

Ebay has only recently adopted some of Amazon's protective policies. They, too, are unlikely to quickly catch other than new criminal sellers.

Yup the smoke & mirror and groundless information is heavy on these boards - From many articles I have read, Amazon has long ago cracked down on people who return too much - They are able due the HUGE market share they have maintained - Here? - I think they need every(or maybe any) buyer they can get.

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

Amazon is far more restrictive about who can sell many brands and types of item than Ebay, Amazon does not accept retail receipts, for example.

These headlines are usually about sellers who had legitimate accounts at some time, who branched out into criminality.

Ebay has only recently adopted some of Amazon's protective policies. They, too, are unlikely to quickly catch other than new criminal sellers.

Hey I wonder if she was selling some of this on ebay too?  If so, we likely wouldnt know as the amount she sold probably wouldn't have been worth mentioning.

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

As others noted unlike eBay which simply suspends a sellers account for suspicion of unusual activity and does nothing I suspect Amazon may have been involved in the initial investigation by law enforcement and may have in fact been the one who alerted them to the possible ring. 

Those numbers and timeline figures were certainly not obtained without a data source and that could have only come from one place, Amazon. 

Message 30 of 34
latest reply