cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Ideas why this lot went so high?

It's not mine; I put a bid on it and it went for about 3x what I was willing to pay.  There are some beads in there that look like old glass and stripped pearls.  Old fashioned bidding war?  The only thing I can think of is two people wanted something "just like Grandma's" and they didn't back down.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/382478390910?nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Any Ideas why this lot went so high?

16 pieces for $180 is about $11 per piece.  Overall it looks like a quality lot at a quality price.  The 5 Art Deco brooches are really eye catching and could command $50 each.  The guilloche pins about $20 each.  Maybe one of the brooches are a known design, like KTF Trifari.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

I hope the buyer got what they paid for.  I can't help thinking I'd get maybe half that if I tried to resell.  Maybe. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

I just wonder why the only thing they showed the back of was the fur clip. I don't know about anyone else but I didn't see anything on the back that made it special. It would have been just as easy to have taken a group shot of the backs together as it was of just one of them.
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

I personally didn’t see anything worth that price, but what do I know😀

ive purchased plenty of quality lots from here and never paid anywhere that price. 

Someone really really wanted though

Photobucket
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

That is a lot for a wear/repair lot!

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

If I listed a lot like that one I'd probably be lucky to get $25. 🙂

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

I have boxes and boxes of unsold jewelry and really getting ready to list a few lots just not sure since I never get but a starting bid.  I spread my lot out so buyers really get a good look not sure if  I should go by color, only brooches, maybe just necklaces or just a lot of earrings. Really like some ideas or suggestions.  Was going to start a new thread with that question but saw this post.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

I have never really had much luck with larger lots, but smaller lots seem to do fairly well. I seperate everything into lots of 20 pairs earrings, 10 necklaces, brooches, or bracelets, and start them low. I start the earrings at 9.99 and then the rest start around 5.99. I have had some go for the bottom price, but then have had some get bid up higher than I thought they would. It seems to even out to me. And a benefit of keeping the lots smaller is you can offer cheaper shipping options, which I think will help with the final sale. It is always a risk starting things low, but I feel I have had more luck with things getting bid up than if I start higher.

I think I may even start using that as my pricing guide for individual items as well. Start them high for one auction round then if no one bites, drop it to .99 for the second round. At least I will sell everything then! 😄

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Thank you for your advice.  I do offer free shipping in my listings so I have to include that in my start price.  I was advised by someone at my bank (he sells on EBay) that offering free shipping increases sales since buyers don't need to figure in the shipping cost when they bid.  My sales did increase and big stores and "A" all offer free shipping.  Next week I really need to list some lots.  Maybe I wil put some in bowls just in a pile and then some lots spread out and see how that works.   Getting back to this discussion on why that lot went so high.  WOW  all it takes is 2 bidders who want the same item.  I think that is the case here.  

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Does the necklace in the upper right look like angel skin coral to anyone else?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 11 of 29
latest reply

I don't know, it is so pale and evenly colored, and a bit shiny. Maybe a couple of buyers took a chance it is?

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

The bottom right looks like it might be a better quality jade bead.  The coloring and swirling is right, the beads themselves are slightly off-round, and the knots indicate an older item.  I wouldn't be surprised if the box clasp was sterling.  I have an 18k and fine green nephrite jade necklace here that appraised at $1,800, and the buyer may have taken a chance on it being nephrite.

I don't think the white ones at the top right are angel skin coral.  They're too uniform in coloring.

"One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane." ~Nicola Tesla
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

I was getting ready to post this lot until I started reading this  thread... now I am not sure.... can someone look at these necklaces for me  and let me know.... if I have angel skin coral or some other kind of coral.... the necklace is very pretty cold to the touch  and has carving and maybe fresh water pearls. TIAP1300235.JPG

P1300239.JPG

P1300230.JPG

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ Patty ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ
Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Patty, is there any way you can shoot a tight close-up of some of the beads and the thingy that holds the strands together? Line up the larger beads together so you get a shot of most of them together. The bigger the file the better -- just select "medium" size when you upload it and it will be fine. If the photo is big enough (at least 1000 pixels or more) one or more of us can enlarge the photo enough to see details. ... and I hate to say it but the better the focus the better will be the enlarged photo.  -- The photos you posted are fine, not meaning to sound critical.

Looks interesting!

A.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply