cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I won auction and seller wants more money for item- what to do

I just won an auction that had a buy it now of $190 with an opening bid of $100.

The item had been listed two times prior with no bids. ( A total of 3 listings)

I bid the only bid of $100 and won the auction. I paid immediately with PayPal.

I just received this  message from the seller:

I did see your bid, until late this afternoon. 100.00 is just not enough for the Tea chest. It is in beautiful condition inside and out. If you are still interested I will let you have it for 180.00. I have researched the value of the Tea caddie. We purchased it in England in 1982.

I based my price on the fact there were no photos of the inside and also the price at which similar plain boxes are selling. I e-mailed the seller before the auction ended and asked questions.

Why would a seller list an item twice starting at $100 with no reserve if he/she had no intention of selling the item at that price?

What would be the best course of action?

I have been a buyer since 1999 and I guess I am lucky this is the first time I have had this happen.

I have not responded to his message yet.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: I won auction and seller wants more money for item- what to do

@gabbycockatiel wrote:

@deep-garnet-red wrote:

@lsst wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I paid within 5 minutes of winning using PayPa. I am a little bummed. The seller has only about 20 something feedback but all positive.

How or should I respond to his message?

"Please ship my item."

Nothing more, nothing less.

Do not agree to cancel. Do not get in a long drawn out message war.

If they refund you and cancel, neg them...."did not follow through with sale"

I would be more specific: "Seller demanded more money than my winning bid." Whatever you do, don't mention anything about an Ebay case - for some reason that's not allowed and can get your feedback removed.

Regarding cancellation, to my knowledge the seller can cancel with a false reason such as "out of stock" without buyer consent, but cancelling for that reason will still put a defect on their account. The only cancellation that doesn't hurt them is "buyer requested cancellation," which does require the buyer to accept it. So, if you get a request to accept that, don't.

If you want to, you can also call Ebay and have them remove the seller's feedback comment. Sellers are only allowed to leave truly positive comments for buyers.

Even with buyer requested the cancellation is instantaneous. The only time a buyer has to "accept" a cancellation is when eBay can't see that a refund has been issued   But s refund is done during the cancelling processs so really the only time it isn't instant is when they buyer didn't already pay because eBay can't see a refund processed 

should add that what it does then is it asks the buyer if the seller refunded or not.  Not actually Do they agree cancel 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 16 of 46
latest reply

So far I have not received a response from the seller so maybe no news is good news.
WOW I have received great advice from everyone and I appreciate it!
Message 17 of 46
latest reply

I just read the sellers feedback left for others. Definitely has no clue.LOL
Message 18 of 46
latest reply

Buyers no longer have to accept cancellation requests from the sellers. I had several sellers cancel lately and never even knew it happened until after it was over.

You can still leave feedback but you likely have to do it from the feedback forum because Ebay removes the link from the listing.

Message 19 of 46
latest reply

This morning I received this message from the seller:

I did not list the Tea caddy as an auction item.

That was all.

Well, ummmm, yes she did like twice.

Message 20 of 46
latest reply

How should I respond? Should I go ahead and cut my losses and contact Ebay? She has not canceled the transaction nor refunded my money.

Message 21 of 46
latest reply

Your listing was set up as an auction price of $100 with a buy-it-now price of $190.  You listed it twice that way.  That gives interested parties a choice.  They can either buy it outright and not wait on an auction or decide to bid and see how it turns out.  Once it has a bid on it,  it becomes an official auction and the buy it now option is no longer viable.  

I chose to bid.  I won the bid.  I paid you for the item.  You have my payment in your PayPal account.  So now you have the item and my money, and I have nothing.

Unfortuantely, you can't do anything with eBay until the last estimated delivery date passes even though the seller is protesting, but you will be covered. 

Message 22 of 46
latest reply

@lsst wrote:

This morning I received this message from the seller:

I did not list the Tea caddy as an auction item.

That was all.

Well, ummmm, yes she did like twice.

Stop communicating with the seller for one thing.

They are lying and want to manipulate you. That is abuse.

The original auction lists as an auction,  it is there for anyone to see. 

What the seller is doing, I call extortion or a shakedown. They may have made a mistake by starting the auction at $100, or maybe not, but so what. Sellers remorse. The seller has your $100, now they must ship or refund. I would wait until after the expected arrival date if you can and then file a item not received and let it play out.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 23 of 46
latest reply

I see you left the seller a neg, and I don't blame you.  This person obviously has no clue how this site works.   The seller seems to use feedback to tell buyers when their item will ship?  Seriously?  Has no concept of what the word auction means either.  I would play it out as others have stated,

Message 24 of 46
latest reply

This is the first neg I have ever posted.
The seller is in denial and insists it was a Buy It Now and I have to pay more or she will not sell the item.
She has over 140 items listed with all kinds of auction formats. She had plenty of time to change or even end the auction early if she had made a mistake in listing.

I never questioned it as the opening bid was not out of line with similar boxes.

Message 25 of 46
latest reply

If the seller isn't happy with the results of the auction, she should have put a reserve on the listing.  You are 100% in the right here, I viewed the other listings and she does have BIN as well as standard bidding on several items.  Some people just shoudn't be on this site at all.  If it were a BIN you wouldn't have been able to pay the $100.00 winning bid.  In all seriousness, this could be a medication issue.

I know you want this chest, and that's the worst part, because it was rightfully  won by you.

Message 26 of 46
latest reply

Well it gets more interesting.

I contacted Ebay and spoke with Josh. He was very helpful.

He said that I did win and that they take the seller asking for more money very seriously.

Josh told me to not under any circumstance send money. ( I was not going to.) They are conducting an internal investigation.

He said to contact the seller a tell him that I had spoken with Ebay and I should not send any more money. I won and paid for the item and it is to be sent.

I messaged the seller with that info and the seller replied:

I would like to see on eby where I auctioned the item. I did not auction it. I did a BIN

Message 27 of 46
latest reply

Seller doesn't know what he's doing.  With only 20 feedback, a buyer has to be careful as they usually don't have a lot of experience.  In this case, it should have been an easy transaction; there were no other bids, and you bid enough to win the auction.  But now the seller wants you to pay 180.  "I will let you have it for....", well, that's not how it works.  It doesn't matter where or when he purchased it.

The seller should have absolutely sold it to you for $100.  He should have fully understood what his minimum price should be when he listed it on ebay; there are lots of tutorials to help sellers out.  I recommend telling the seller you won the item fair and square, and that you expect him to ship the item, otherwise you'll file a complaint with ebay.  The seller has lots of learning to do. 

Message 28 of 46
latest reply

You should be able to see the original listing, when you check your winning items. It should say, "See original listing". Take a screenshot of it, save a copy, & send one to the seller. I am by far an expert, but I don't see how you could have paid for an item, if you didn't win it at the price you paid. Besides, if it was only a "Buy it now" item, ebay would have told you that, when you spoke with them.

Message 29 of 46
latest reply

I just saw your latest post lsst.  So you did a buy-it-now at $100?  I thought that price was $190?

Message 30 of 46
latest reply