cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to report Ebay?

I made a request for tax refund.. as the item was shipped outside USA all the way back in november 2023, it was not the first time that I've done it but it is the first time that I've faced such delays. all they tell me in the customer support is that they will make a follow up request.. I've been told that 6 times already and I don't know how to make a complaint.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: How to report Ebay?

What tax was collected? Sales tax is collected based on the package's shipping address. If the item was shipped internationally directly no sales tax should have been collected. If it was forwarded eBay is still required to collect tax to the initial shipping address. You need to clarify your question.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

It shows you are in the US.

Why do you think you should get the sales tax refunded?

Have a great day
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Does not matter where the item comes from, the tax is paid based on YOUR location not where it was shipped from. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I did some research  on sale tax  ebay is  charging  U.S. buyers  that buy from  international  sellers. Only   Kentucky has international  market  sale's tax charged to their resident's .   None  of   the other  49 states    charges it  . Not even   W DC .,PR. ,Guam  and other  U.S.   territory's   have on their book's .    That being  said   ebay  just didn't want  the extra work  of book keeping  .

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Hi @carlmarxx 

I'm afraid you are misinformed.

eBay charges sales tax the same way as ALL large selling venues charge it.  It is based only on the state the item is delivered to.  It doesn't matter where the seller or item or buyer is located.  

I believe there are only 3 or 4 states that don't charge sales tax on online purchases.  Your information is very mistaken.

BTW, the sales tax you should be researching is the Marketplace Facilitator Tax.  I don't know what kind of tax you researched related to Kentucky.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

I did some research  on sale tax  ebay is  charging  U.S. buyers  that buy from  international  sellers. Only   Kentucky has international  market  sale's tax charged to their resident's .   None  of   the other  49 states    charges it  . Not even   W DC .,PR. ,Guam  and other  U.S.   territory's   have on their book's .    That being  said   ebay  just didn't want  the extra work  of book keeping  .

It doesn't matter if you bought an item from Jupiter- if it WENT to YOUR STATE, and YOUR STATE charges Sales Tax- then eBay charging sales tax was Correct. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@estebaagudelorestrepoco158q46363-0 wrote:

I made a request for tax refund.. as the item was shipped outside USA all the way back in november 2023, it was not the first time that I've done it but it is the first time that I've faced such delays. all they tell me in the customer support is that they will make a follow up request.. I've been told that 6 times already and I don't know how to make a complaint.

VAT tax is charged to MANY countries. 

If you had an item 'shipped' to a US City in a State that charges Sales Tax, then you have $0.00 coming to you. If they did it once, they did it BY mistake. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Kentucky has a  international  Market  place   sales  tax on their  book's .    That is what i found and  read  .    . I guess I could be wrong . then again the tax codes are bear to figure out.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for information    help.    

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@carlmarxx 

You’re very welcome.  😊

Message 11 of 11
latest reply