cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Believe What This Seller Did?

Last month i made a purchase. Paid right away as usual. When the item was close to being due, I checked the tracking to discover that the seller had cancelled the transaction. There was no explanation or communication on why. I went back thru my email and found nothing from the seller that I may have overlooked.

After thinking it over for a couple of weeks, I finally left a negative feedback report. Cancelling transactions without explanation gives eBay a bad name. My feedback said, "Seller cancelled the transaction after payment with no explanation or communication." Well, she somehow got it removed. Now I think I know how. I was just looking over my purchase history and saw that I had a non-payment strike against me for that purchase. It asked if i wanted to appeal.

How on earth can a seller open a non-payment case against a buyer who they cancelled and refunded? Anyway, as soon as i received the strike, my feedback was eligible to be removed. This is positively underhanded. I am livid as it appears the strike was in retaliation for the neg. All I wanted was an explanation for the cancellation and I wouldn't have left any feedback. I have appealed the strike with proof of payment. If I were a regular buyer and not also a seller, this would have been the end of my buying days on eBay. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't Believe What This Seller Did?

@fashunu4eeuh,

If the seller used buyer requested cancellation as the reason for cancelling. You need to get the strike removed.  Go to the resolution center, look in the box on the left, and select My Problem is not listed here.  Then use the Need More Help email us button.  Report the inappropriate reason giving the item number and ask to have your messages checked.  That will give the seller a defect of their own and remove the strike you received.  Unfortunately, the feedback can't be reinstated, but they will be charged the fees for the transaction.   If the seller left you a feedback, you can reply to it after you make sure the strike was removed, and that comment will be on their first page of feedback left at least until they make 24 more sales.

I would bring this matter up on the Wednesday Chat w/ eBay employees.  This should not be allowed to happen.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

When a transaction is cancelled and payment refunded, it goes back to “awaiting payment “ or whatever in the transaction details.

I had no idea that was so fully activated that a seller who cancelled could turn around and file a UPI.

Sloppy programming.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh,

If the seller used buyer requested cancellation as the reason for cancelling. You need to get the strike removed.  Go to the resolution center, look in the box on the left, and select My Problem is not listed here.  Then use the Need More Help email us button.  Report the inappropriate reason giving the item number and ask to have your messages checked.  That will give the seller a defect of their own and remove the strike you received.  Unfortunately, the feedback can't be reinstated, but they will be charged the fees for the transaction.   If the seller left you a feedback, you can reply to it after you make sure the strike was removed, and that comment will be on their first page of feedback left at least until they make 24 more sales.

I would bring this matter up on the Wednesday Chat w/ eBay employees.  This should not be allowed to happen.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

So you found no communication from ebay that an unpaid item case had been filed?   You found a cancellation filed by the seller with no reason given?  Did you receive a refund?  There should have been an email for that too.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

So you found no communication from ebay that an unpaid item case had been filed?   You found a cancellation filed by the seller with no reason given?  Did you receive a refund?  There should have been an email for that too.

Good questions. Something is wonky about the whole thing. There was no message stating the unpaid item dispute had been filed. I found out by accident when i used the drop down box on my cancelled transaction. It asked if i wanted to appeal “the case” and when i clicked on that choice in the drop-down it took me to the next page telling me a strike was recorded on my account for non payment.

Then more strangeness. When i tried to file the appeal, it said no such transaction could be found when i put in the listing number. I found a work-around and eventually got the appeal done.

Your last question: I did receive a refund and had the email from eBay attached to the appeal. The reason found on that email said cancelled due to out of stock, so the seller likely got a defect for that choice. The seller was honest about the reason. But dishonest in applying for the UPI. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Perhaps you should not have left the seller a negative feedback for cancelling the transaction since you were refunded.  We sellers are not operating under normal circumstances - there may be any number of reasons the seller cancelled the transaction that are not covered by eBay's choices.    Under the conditions we are now living I would have given the seller a break.  

We are supposed to be sheltering at home - going to the post office is not one of the listed reasons for going out where I live.  

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@kathieskorner wrote:

We are supposed to be sheltering at home - going to the post office is not one of the listed reasons for going out where I live.  

The Solution is

Just don't sell & remove your listings, if you won't go to the post office or have carrier pick up.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

If you have things up for sale and can't ship when I buy, the least you could do is let me know and refund ASAP so i can do something else. I can cut slack these days for almost anything but noncommunication.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@kathieskorner wrote:

Perhaps you should not have left the seller a negative feedback for cancelling the transaction since you were refunded.  We sellers are not operating under normal circumstances - there may be any number of reasons the seller cancelled the transaction that are not covered by eBay's choices.    Under the conditions we are now living I would have given the seller a break.  

@kathieskorner This all took place at the beginning of March, before we were embroiled in the corona virus fall-out. I thought long and hard before leaving the feedback. I didn't leave it lightly.

I just discovered the non-payment strike last night. There is no excuse for that. Ultimately, a buyer should be able to leave a negative review for a negative experience. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

if seller used 'cancel' with 'customer requested' and also is TR and does 'free returns', all they have to do is call/email and feedback is removed. A 'cancelled' transaction means no feedback is allowed and there was no transaction to give feedback on (or this is all that has to be said by the seller to a CSR) 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hi @corvettestainless , thank you for the reply. To clarify, if the reason for the cancellation is buyer requested, feedback cannot be left. However, if it is a seller-initiated cancellation, then the buyer is free to leave feedback. Heres a link to the policy:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/canceling-transaction?id=4136

“...Try to avoid cancelling a transaction because you don't have the item to send.

This is considered a transaction defect and may affect your seller performance level. Also, the buyer will still be able to leave you negative or neutral Feedback about the transaction...”

Message 11 of 11
latest reply