cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay International Shipping for Stamps

Ebay keeps repeatedly sending me invitations to use Ebay International Shipping. It does not work for stamps because the partners they use,  like ASENDIA,  prohibit stamps as a shipment item.  One of my shipments using Ebay International Shipping was returned to me after I spent $18 in shipping charges. I tried to get a refund from EBAY but they declined. They said I should read the Terms and Conditions of their partner and note that stamps are prohibited. A bit disingenuous of Ebay to be promoting Ebay International Shipping to me and other stamp shippers!! I would appreciate knowing experiences of other stamp vendors in this regard.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Ebay International Shipping for Stamps

Correct, stamps are excluded. But it's odd that your listing offered eIS in the first place. eIS is supposed to automatically block most ineligible items.

Did you list in the stamps category or a different category @stampguy01 on that item that was returned? If you listed in a different category, that could explain a block failure. Seems unlikely though, since a quick browse of your listings shows they are all listed in the stamps category.

How long ago did that happen? If it was a year ago when the program was still new they may not have had all the blocks in place yet (even though they should have before launch), but if it was more recent then we should escalate to eBay to investigate why eIS blocks aren't working as they should.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-international-shippin...

Restricted items and categories

Items included in eBay's hazardous, restricted or regulated materials policy, or that don't follow our International trading policy, can't be shipped using eBay International Shipping.

Items that are shipped to buyers in the UK need to comply with all applicable UK laws and regulations. We have put measures in place to prevent US items that may not comply with UK regulations, such as CE Certification and/or Plugs and Sockets Regulations, from being sold to buyers in the UK.

Due to export limitations and restrictions, items listed in the following categories also can't be shipped with eBay International Shipping. This is not an exhaustive list and it may be updated based on transportation regulations and export laws.

• Any category or items containing Radium or other radioactive materials
  • Dangerous goods requiring hazardous handling labels & documentation
  • Export-controlled items requiring license > Ex. Military vehicle parts
  • Business & Industrial > Heavy equipment & attachments
  • Collectibles > Knives, swords & blades
  • eBay Motors > Airbags, used parts (containing hazardous residue), AC refrigerant, vehicle paint (flammable)
  • Electronics > Standalone lithium batteries (not inside or with a device)
  • Electronics > High-power lithium battery devices (over 100 watt-hour)
  • Electronics > Drones
  • Health & Beauty > Fragrances (flammable perfumes & cologne)
  • Flammable or otherwise hazardous aerosols
  • Jewelry > High value
  • Personal security > Pepper spray, stun guns, handcuffs
  • Sporting goods > Other (CO2 cartridges, firearms, firearm parts, laser scopes)
  • Replica firearms > Prop guns
  • Stamps, coins & paper money
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I use the USPS.

I send inexpensive items using .68 or 1.55 International to send my items. Without tracking domestic items usually get to buyer in 4-5 days cross country. Never lost anything in the mail last year.

I wonder why so many use tracking for inexpensive items. I understand about the TRS and 10 % discount thing but I can buy postage on eBay by USA sellers under face value and save money.

Otherwise, expensive items go certified or registered. I dislike using tracking for it takes forever these days for items to get to the buyers.

My buyers want their items in a few days and not two weeks. It used to be priority mail was quick...not any more depending the state it goes to.

Having my items reach the buyer in a few days....give me more of those "repeat buyers". These buyers usually buy every week which is crazy but OK...

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Yes, it was in the category of stamps and approximately 6 months ago. What riles me is that they have not perfected this service and still keep pushing it. I did escalate it and talk to them  but nothing came off it. And yet here they are pushing it to me again.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Hey kyle@ebay . Would you mind escalating this to the eIS team? I thought eBay was supposed to automatically block the use of eIS for most items on the prohibited list. Seller here reports eBay allowed stamps sales to go through eIS, then eIS rejected the package at the hub costing the seller a loss on shipping. Stamps aren't one of those questionable items where seller has to be really diligent - it's clear-cut prohibited in the eIS policy so eBay should not have put eIS on their stamp listings. On top of that, the seller keeps getting notices to re-opt in to eIS. It's not a great experience for the seller.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@stampguy01 wrote:

Yes, it was in the category of stamps and approximately 6 months ago. What riles me is that they have not perfected this service and still keep pushing it. I did escalate it and talk to them  but nothing came off it. And yet here they are pushing it to me again.

And yet if you go directly to the USPS web site

https://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/tz_018.htm#ep6534449

it prohibits COUNTERFEIT currency, bank notes and stamps.

also: Coins; platinum, gold, or silver (manufactured or not); precious stones; jewels; and other valuable articles.

But apparently legitimate postage stamps are OK. So it would seem if you used USPS directly instead of eBay they should go through.

I have seen similar situations of other products mentioned on these boards.

eBay has to have a one size fits all list of restrictions for simplicity sake. So if there are some countries that prohibit stamps eBay prohibits them all just to be safe.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Hey kyle@ebay . Would you mind escalating this to the eIS team? I thought eBay was supposed to automatically block the use of eIS for most items on the prohibited list. Seller here reports eBay allowed stamps sales to go through eIS, then eIS rejected the package at the hub costing the seller a loss on shipping. Stamps aren't one of those questionable items where seller has to be really diligent - it's clear-cut prohibited in the eIS policy so eBay should not have put eIS on their stamp listings. On top of that, the seller keeps getting notices to re-opt in to eIS. It's not a great experience for the seller.

Hey @wastingtime101 thanks for the tag!  I have passed this along to the eIS team for review.

Kyle,
eBay
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Hey @wastingtime101 I got some new info from our eIS team to share on this:

"eIS does block stamps to certain countries, but not all. If we display eIS on a listing and it can't be shipped forward, eBay will refund the buyer, and the seller keeps the funds from the original sale."

So with this item being rejected at the hub, the seller still wouldn't have taken a loss, since eBay takes responsibility for that refund.  It's possible OP may have been referring to the old eISD, which was essentially just the equivalent of self-ship exporting, minus some customs paperwork.  And in that scenario, it would explain the loss they mentioned.  

Kyle,
eBay
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Great - thanks a lot kyle@ebay . My initial instinct was to ask the seller if it was eIS or eISD. I should have listened to myself. 😂

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

What I do not understand is why EBay cannot stop putting EIs as an option on all my stamp listings. In addition it would definitely be helpful if EBay clearly spelled out that stamps are prohibited by all their partners EXCEPT USPS, instead of hiding behind: You should have read the Ts and Cs. EBay should have blocked my stamp listing from using EIs. Instead they offered it as an option, allowed it to go through and then denied the refund. And, here they are all over again, asking me to use EIs. Maybe the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing??

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Thank you! BTW who is kyle@ebay?? Is he one of the inventors of EIS??

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

USPS does not prohibit real stamps.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply