cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

let's have an eBay Day!

Amazon has Prime Day in July.  I just saw a commercial on TV that Wayfair has Way Day coming up this month.   I saw several etsy commercials too, but so far no day for them.  What about eBay?  Let's join in the fun!  When is eBay Day?  How would you advertise it?

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: let's have an eBay Day!

Another Fee for sellers to cover the cost!, That's what it would probably entail!

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

What about eBay?  Let's join in the fun!  When is eBay Day?  How would you advertise it?

A large group cult of people devotees all waving eBay flags chanting in unison - eBay is great and perfect there are no bugs.

Realistically, as eBay don't sell or deliver anything, it would have to involve lots of advertising "get it on eBay" and it would be a fee free day for sellers.😀

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

That might help in getting some more eyeballs on here but it’s probably not in their budget. They are too complacent about their selling high end items at high prices and forgetting about the rest of the website.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

I'm all for a "ebay day" but what would that entail?

I came up with the idea and the name--you come up with the plans!  I'll make dessert.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes wrote:

@mam98031 @evry1nositswindy 

Good idea, I always thought ebay should do a cute Christmas commercial with Mrs. Claus shopping on the bay ordering vintage winking Santa mugs and blow molds!

Love this idea @silverstatetreasureboxes !  To build on it...someone is sad at the holidays or a grinch and Santa finds the toy they always wanted but never got.    

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

@bennotbill I have several fee free days...zero sales days😐 

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

Ebay would have an uphill battle trying to create an event like this.  Ebay doesn't have a program like Amazon Prime nor do they have an FBA program.  Prime day depends on both plus the stuff that Amazon sells themselves.  Third Party sellers don't benefit much from Prime day if they house their own inventory and do their own shipping.

Since Ebay doesn't compete with their seller nor do they have a program to house our inventory and ship it for us, Ebay day would need to be something much different that Prime Day.  I'm not at all sure what that would look like.  But I still like your idea.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 22 of 29
latest reply

We'd have to organise it ourselves - it would be a big  undertaking given that about 0.1% of the site population even comes here to the forums. eBay isn't going to help us if it's not sneakers or watches - their viewpoint seems to be shrinking as fast as the platform.

When we had the old vintage board, we used to have periodic Blow Out Sales - we'd create logos and include them in our listings, spread the word, used the emerging thing called 'social media' to get things going (still back in the My Space and LiveJournal days). It was amazing how well we did with it - it took several repetitions to get it really going, though, doing it once was not enough - it has to really bore a hole into the buying consciousness.

So a grassroots effort could in theory work, but it would first take brainstorming parameters, then getting the wider range of sellers on board, pumping out a lot of advertising using our own sources (unfortunately, the etailing space is noisier than a cheap bar at midnight), with memorable logos (we have many creative minds here). It would need to run a couple of years in a row to really get traction.

It's totally doable - it would be a big effort but might really reap rewards down the line.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 23 of 29
latest reply

I'm all for a "ebay day" but what would that entail?

More Ebay fees so it doesn't effect Ebays bottom line

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@luxgoods wrote:

it would "entail" some TV commercial showing Rolex Watches and Sneakers followed up by numerous e-mails with tips on selling watches.

So true!
But you forgot to mention the "tips on selling watches" would include the ad nauseam "Improve your sales with Promoted Listings" reminder.

Do you think eBay realizes what a joke they've become to many of their own sellers?
Do you think they even care?

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Actually 2 Extremes The High End & The Really Cheap Priced, Cheaply Made Garbage!

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

Not sure how an eBay day would work, I'd have to think about it.

I love etsy's "Happiness Is" ad campaign. It makes me feel happy and that tune gets in my head. This very campaign could have been for eBay. I liked eBay's ad campaign several years back (5 years? 10?). It was something like, "Whatever you're looking for, you can find it on eBay" and they showed a selection of new and vintage items. That's essentially ebay's USP. But I suppose the ad didn't work, as they didn't repeat it. But then again, I'm not sure they replaced it with anything else.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

@carolynnq  I remember those ads and like them too.  When I became a seller, I was so proud the first time I saw an ad for eBay on TV.  I hate the radio promos for eBay Motors.  That guy is so annoying!  

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

My favorite all time marketing campaign by Ebay was so very long go.  It was the "IT" campaign.  Create commercials that showed various thing that you could "find IT on Ebay".  They were fun and covered all kinds of categories.  Well written and entertaining.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 29 of 29
latest reply