cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Ebay generated Return label packages delivered to me - not the seller or buyer

Hi anyone seen anything like this?  In the last 3 days I have received two different packages with ebay generated return labels.  They are not for anything I sold or buyers I have ever (in memory) sold something to.  I have no open returns or open cases. 

I can't figure out who buyer or seller is from the info on the labels as I can't look up either return id or order numbers. 

I contacted ebay by email after the first one and they just told me not to worry about it and I didn't need to do anything.  After the 2nd package I contacted them again (several times) and again was told to not worry about it, do nothing.  Well that isn't rifht.   How did these packages get my name/address on a return?  what about the original seller/buyer.  won't they wonder what happened to these packages. 

Very strange.  Anyone ever heard of this?  I can't seem to get ebay to pay attention to the issue!

thanks 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Strange Ebay generated Return label packages delivered to me - not the seller or buyer

I'd refuse them and mark them Return To Sender. You have tried to find out info on these packages and apparently eBay isn't that concerned about them. I don't know what else you can do.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

brian@ebay, if you got the tracking numbers and/or the ship from name and address from the OP would you be able to look them up in the system and tie them to the original seller & buyer? If this is some kind of system glitch that's populating one seller's info into a different seller's return labels then that's not a good situation for anybody.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I agree.  that is why I am trying to get ebay's attention!!!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Hmmmm, I wonder if that means that a seller got dinged because tracking for a return showed 'Delivered', but the seller didn't refund because they never got the package back?

And, on the other hand, I wonder if this happens to some of the buyer's packages - something in the programming that sends them someplace else and no package for the buyer, though it is 'Delivered'?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@susano wrote:

Anyone ever heard of this? 

Yes, a couple months ago.

A member started getting return packages like you have and I think it turned out to be a seller from China.

The member had bought something from this seller and the seller was using the members name and address for their returns.

Why they did it, I don't know.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@susano wrote:

Hi anyone seen anything like this?  In the last 3 days I have received two different packages with ebay generated return labels.  They are not for anything I sold or buyers I have ever (in memory) sold something to.  I have no open returns or open cases. 

I can't figure out who buyer or seller is from the info on the labels as I can't look up either return id or order numbers. 

I contacted ebay by email after the first one and they just told me not to worry about it and I didn't need to do anything.  After the 2nd package I contacted them again (several times) and again was told to not worry about it, do nothing.  Well that isn't rifht.   How did these packages get my name/address on a return?  what about the original seller/buyer.  won't they wonder what happened to these packages. 

Very strange.  Anyone ever heard of this?  I can't seem to get ebay to pay attention to the issue!

thanks 

Hi @susano, that is an odd! When I saw a similar situation in the past it was the result of a seller drop shipping an item and changing the return address to the drop shippers. Instead of changing the return address for that transaction they accidentally changed it for all of their returns. They didn't realize this until they had another return some time later.

While I can't give out any information about the seller in your situation, I can assure you that I will have this looked into. The information you provided customer service via email is all I need to find the seller, and I have access to the email you sent so I don't need any more information.  I don't know the specifics of why your address was set as the sellers return address, but it doesn't appear to be a bug.

The information customer service provided (that you don't need to do anything further) is correct. Due to privacy concerns we (eBay) cannot give you the seller or buyers information, and we cannot give the seller or buyer your information. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Hi Brian, thanks for your reply but  the 3rd (in about 5 days) Rtn package arrived today.  I still don't know what to do with the packages.  I also can't believe one seller could have that many returns in that short time.   Please let me know what to do.   If you know who the seller is why hasn't anyone contacted me about the packages. 

thanks 

Susan

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@susano 

You're under no obligation to do this- but if you haven't opened the packages then mark them "refused return to sender" and USPS will ship them back to the sender (presumably the buyer). If you prefer to keep them or donate the contents you can.

The buyers are be protected (will get their refunds) because the packages were delivered using the return labels provided. The seller for some odd reason created this situation so maybe they don't want their items back. eBay said your address appeared to be entered intentionally- that it wasn't a system glitch. Since eBay is looking into this hopefully they alerted the seller to update their return address and the packages will stop coming.

You've done your part though- there's nothing for you to worry about at this point.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply