cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roommate bid on my item as a joke. Now eBay suspended me for 10 days & took away bidding on auctions

My computer got hacked and I had some problems with shipping items with tracking when I used their eBay envelopes. Seems that the Post Office does not recognize their tracking as i got no confermation of delivery. Also my roommate bid on an item I was selling to pay back for something I did not give her for her new condo. Ebay suspended me for 7 and then 10 days and then  made it so i cant bid or sell any items with an auction format and I cant bid on auctions either forever.  I have been a customer for 22 years and started a long time ago. Now this hack and bad joke my old roommate played on me is destroying my eBay selling and buying. I have tried to talk to them and they say the hack and shill bid is against their rules and they are not restoring my account forever.  Looks like all my items will be going on FB Marketplace soon and I have bought over $20,000 in the 22 years I have been with eBay.  This place is really going to the birds. Has anyone else had these problems with eBay. A........ here we come

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Roommate bid on my item as a joke. Now eBay suspended me for 10 days & took away bidding on

she totally messed me up. 

Message 16 of 44
latest reply

Re: Roommate bid on my item as a joke. Now eBay suspended me for 10 days & took away bidding on

no idea why it happened. 

Message 17 of 44
latest reply

@1bostonsports wrote:

I guess she did shill bid me but did not win the item. 

That's why shilling is illegal! The shill isn't supposed to win but the poor sucker who does win pays more for the item than they should because you (or your partner-in-crime) artificially inflated the price. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 18 of 44
latest reply

@1bostonsports wrote:

Im not that mad a eBay, they do have to protect their site but it was not of my doing. It was a bad joke that has limited my selling & buying so that i must find another site to auction off my items. 

Yes, you're upset with ebay because you got caught. You thought private bidding would hide the fact that it was being done. 

Instead of complaining about the loss of your ability to have auction listings, how about counting your blessings that you weren't suspended?

Why not just list items FP/BIN? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 19 of 44
latest reply

@kenneth686321 wrote:

2.  So which one is it? Your old roommate was playing a practical joke on you OR was she repaying a loan by bidding on your items? 

The way I read it:

OP did not give roomie an item she wanted for her new condo when she moved out. Roomie was angry so she shill bid the OP's auction. Perhaps roomie knew their accounts were linked from living together and using the same IP address, and knew that would cause sanctions on OP's account. I'd bet the roomie is facing the same or similar account sanctions.

Bottom line @1bostonsports is eBay doesn't care about that drama or the he said / she said of it. They are a corporation out to make money. They saw a policy violation and risk to the platform, so they took action. The risks are noted in the policy page. eBay is not going to give you a chance to explain because, in addition to being he said / she said, anybody could make up a story to try and get their account reinstated. It's your ex-roomie's fault, not eBay's.

Message 20 of 44
latest reply

I guess it is my old roommates fault. sucks

Message 21 of 44
latest reply

have no idea who OP is?

Message 22 of 44
latest reply

OP = original poster = you

Message 23 of 44
latest reply

Yes, like others said.  Not Ebay's fault.  Getting upset with them will do you not good.  Learning the rules however would likely help you a bit.  Joking around like this on Ebay will only get your account into trouble.  You got the suspension because this policy breach is a serious one.  Tell you friend not to do that again or it could cost you your selling privileges on this site forever.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 24 of 44
latest reply

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. It sounds frustrating to have your account affected by actions beyond your control.

Message 25 of 44
latest reply

Aside from the other drama, you have multiple "you pick" listings which I think are also policy violations that will probably end your ability to even sell fixed-price....

Message 26 of 44
latest reply

I have bought over $20,000 in the 22 years I have been with eBay.

eBay doesn't care how long you have been on their site or how much you have bought.  You have to play by their rules. 

Message 27 of 44
latest reply

@1bostonsports wrote:

I accept the responsibility but forever being banned of bidding on auction items or selling thru auctions is a stiff penalty to pay when i was not the person who caused this disaster. 

Banned forever?

No big deal.

I heard this place is really going to the birds.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 28 of 44
latest reply

@1bostonsports 

Sorry for your situation.  Get a new room mate.  Best of luck in the future. 

Message 29 of 44
latest reply

she moved out this past month

Message 30 of 44
latest reply