cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removed Item

Hi All,  Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.  I listed a vintage badge that read "Civilian Police State of Massachusetts"  and the auction was removed by Ebay within 24 hours stating the auction was in violation of Ebay Policies.  As I am writing this there are 74 active auctions and 199 completed auction using the search words "Vintage Police Badge".  There are also categories for listing such items.   I have talked to customer support and they will be doing another review of my auction.  I don't get it...why is there a category for restricted items, as well as active and sold items that are similar to mine....

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Removed Item

Hi, it is frustrating to be singled out for a violation when others are flouting the rules. It also makes no sense to have the category for an item that is not allowed. Police badges are on the restricted list, link to the policy below. It is imperative that you not relist this item. Once a seller finds himself on eBay's radar, they have to be doubly careful not to receive any more violations. If you relist, even with customer support's ok, there is a risk that eBay will remove the item again and then slap you with a selling suspension.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/policerelated-items-policy?id=4319

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

^^^^^^^

Great answer.

@ssenirp55 

@fashunu4eeuh 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Not to nitpick but Massachusetts is not actually a state. It is officially the "Commonwealth of Massachusetts".  Even though the police that patrol the highways are called the "State Police". Go figure. Maybe "Commonwealth" wouldn't fit on the cars?.

eBay's policies are not even followed by eBay. For example, one of the restrictions is for badges, pins, etc "not available to the general public" - in others words licensed souvenirs that are commercially available to the general public are allowed. But when I listed a hat pin commemorating the New York City subway systems I was told to pull it even though it was a mass produced souvenir available through any number of wholesalers. The argument they gave me was that "someone" could show up wearing that pin, be mistaken for an employee, and gain access to sensitive areas (obviously with the intent of doing harm). Talk about far fetched. Someone with a HAT PIN would get past security checks?  ROFL

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

Not to nitpick but Massachusetts is not actually a state. It is officially the "Commonwealth of Massachusetts".  Even though the police that patrol the highways are called the "State Police". Go figure. Maybe "Commonwealth" wouldn't fit on the cars?.

eBay's policies are not even followed by eBay. For example, one of the restrictions is for badges, pins, etc "not available to the general public" - in others words licensed souvenirs that are commercially available to the general public are allowed. But when I listed a hat pin commemorating the New York City subway systems I was told to pull it even though it was a mass produced souvenir available through any number of wholesalers. The argument they gave me was that "someone" could show up wearing that pin, be mistaken for an employee, and gain access to sensitive areas (obviously with the intent of doing harm). Talk about far fetched. Someone with a HAT PIN would get past security checks?  ROFL

Surprised you didn't get slapped for a dangerous weapon!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply