cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm not the post office.

Sometimes things get stuck in the system.

But why do buyers think I personally work for USPS, FedEx or UPS?

I shipped something on the 1st of May, and it did the classic cross country tour.

But tracking HAS been updating, it's not stuck or sitting somewhere. It's only 2 days past the expected delivery date.

Buyer doesn't even message me, just opens an Item Not Received case.

Really annoys me, what do they expect me to do? Call Louis DeJoy? Personally drive to the sorting facility and give them a stern talking to?

Message 1 of 104
latest reply
103 REPLIES 103

Re: I'm not the post office.

Personally I've never understood this online shopping rush. If I need something in a hurry I'll go to a high street shop.

Otherwise I couldn't care less if the item arrives a week later than eBay said it would. As long as it arrives.

Message 76 of 104
latest reply

@bargainsandbaubles 

I know I'm sounding cynical & it's probably not the case, but it could just be a little trick they're pulling. 

"hey where's my package?"

- worst case scenario: they receive an explanation & are asked to wait a little longer

- best case scenario: "oh no please don't leave me negative feedback, here have a refund"

No, worst case scenario (I am proving myself to be more cynical than you) is: they are the type of buyer who hovers over the tracking and opens an INR claim in hopes of getting free merchandise if the case can be closed before the parcel is delivered. 

CONSERVITVS  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay member since: 1996

Message 77 of 104
latest reply

Yes they all do  . However    USPS  is  getting  sellers  higher amount   of    INR's   in at normal    rate      ,Then  the other  carriers  currently  . a U.S.  ebay Supervisor  told me on phone   recently  . 

Message 78 of 104
latest reply

Does that really help if the clock starts clicking when you create the label? 

Message 79 of 104
latest reply

The buyers are hoping the INR case will be closed in their favor before the item arrives, as they have no intention on paying for what they ordered.

The reality is your buyer still has a legal obligation to pay you or return your item. If not, they are committing theft. I typically give them a chance to pay or return. If not, they get reported for mail fraud.

Likewise, I wouldnt blame the post office, but rather ebay, as its their policies that allow these freeloading scammers to get away with this crap. Buyers should've never been allowed to open INR's just 3 days after a delivery estimate.

Message 80 of 104
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

The buyers are hoping the INR case will be closed in their favor before the item arrives, as they have no intention on paying for what they ordered.

The reality is your buyer still has a legal obligation to pay you or return your item. If not, they are committing theft. I typically give them a chance to pay or return. If not, they get reported for mail fraud.

Likewise, I wouldnt blame the post office, but rather ebay, as its their policies that allow these freeloading scammers to get away with this crap. Buyers should've never been allowed to open INR's just 3 days after a delivery estimate.

Most will be disappointed then because as long as the tracking has activity within the last 7 days, the INR will remain open.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 81 of 104
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

Yes they all do  . However    USPS  is  getting  sellers  higher amount   of    INR's   in at normal    rate      ,Then  the other  carriers  currently  . a U.S.  ebay Supervisor  told me on phone   recently  . 

Well I'm a USPS loyalist and I have no consistent trouble with them anyway.  UPS is outrageously expensive, FedEx is bad in too many ways to list, and neither of them are authorized to put things in mailboxes, so they often put things in dumb places that get them stolen or harmed by weather (or they throw them).    
Keep in mind, INR is only one shipping issue that causes refunds.  I'd like to see the comparison of damage claims.  
I'm really concerned that we could lose our wonderful postal service, mostly because of the corrupt jerk at the helm, but if anything brings it to its' end we'll be sorry, especially people who live in rural areas.  Most have no idea how unique the USPS is, compared to what the rest of the world has.  When I remember I even thank sellers for shipping with it in feedback.  

Message 82 of 104
latest reply

I'm not  cynical   like  you  and Bargan  since  I'm  both a seller  and  buyer  ,And  I  have  done enough   transactions  to have both points of view  .Also I have been dealing with  these carriers long before  I came on eBay.   I have seen a lot of crazy  stuff  with these carriers  .    If  I was seller only I would be  cynical  about most buyers claims  as such .  

Message 83 of 104
latest reply

Buyers can open  a INR  on  estimated date of  delivery  but after 6:00 P.M.  end of USPS  work day   or the next following  day .  Also   buyer can file   a INR   if  their is not  tracking  history upload  with no seller proof of shipping .     from my  years of dealing with carriers  ,I seen a  lot crazy things  including  packages showing up   30 days  later  after  a INR  case  had been closed in buyers favor .    

Message 84 of 104
latest reply

@carlmarxx  @gamersbaystore  
LOL, soooo ..... 3 days after estimated date, or same day after 6 pm?  
I would be thrilled to see either/both of you to provide proof of your assertion.  
By the way I don't mean to just pick on you two.  I have seen so many contradictory time claims on these forums about INR.  I think I recall even seeing ones where the buyer (allegedly) filed before the end of the estimated date range.  

Message 85 of 104
latest reply

The amount  of issues I have had  with USPS handling their  ground advantage  and recent missed handling   of my priority  package  delay of 1 day and half  in Washington state  with no explaining the delay . I'mnot a USPS loyalist  to risk  problem's   for and my buyers in lower 48 states .  So UPS and fedEx  is the better shipping  . Until dejoys is replaced  or in prison. 

Message 86 of 104
latest reply

I just hope it doesn't hurt your sales when buyers see it.  When I see an item is delivered via FedEx I click away as fast as I can.  Even their estimated dates are days longer than USPS would take, and I've literally had only ONE that arrived on its' estimated date -all the others were late.  
I'm sure it's a regional thing, like with me the extra 1+ days are in Whistler, AL, just outside Mobile where I live!   And that's weird because there's a small airport that FedEx arrives and departs from right down the street from my house, so I don't understand why my packages don't just come in there and come right up the street to me.  
Anyway I've also just seen way too many FedEx employees literally throw boxes, and they refused to put boxes where my mom could reach them when she was disabled and dying, no matter how many times she called, put notes in orders, put a big sign on her door, etc.  Just monstrous, that company.  
As for UPS, I'm really happy that their drivers are finally getting air conditioning in their trucks, but I bet that also raises their already-crazy prices.  

Message 87 of 104
latest reply

No problem  . I've had buyer that opened on the date of delivery of the  item . I have had  a buyer  that  opened   a  INR   3 days after it was shipped in transit  that ebay  closed in my favor . 

Message 88 of 104
latest reply

Funny thing is UPS is cheaper then  USPS  .  UPS Sure post  is great price  and transit is  5 to 6 days . I  have been talking with  the ebay Rep's about   UPS smart mail  that is like USPS 1st. class .   I do use  USPS Priority  mail for  shipping  in side  California    .So far it has been problem free.

Message 89 of 104
latest reply

@bennotbill wrote:

Personally I've never understood this online shopping rush. If I need something in a hurry I'll go to a high street shop.

Otherwise I couldn't care less if the item arrives a week later than eBay said it would. As long as it arrives.

Exactly. If I really need something in a rush then I'll just go buy it in a B&M store.

Message 90 of 104
latest reply