cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking guidance and reassurance – potential Item Reselling Fraud/Wardrobing Fraud scenario

Hi everyone,

I’m an irregular seller on eBay and need help understanding the policies and procedures. I recently sold an item, and the buyer claimed it had a defect, opened the original packaging, and requested a refund. The buyer is also an eBay seller, and upon researching their store, I noticed potential signs of fraudulent activity (Item Reselling Fraud/Wardrobing Fraud).

I tried contacting eBay about this, but only got an automated response. After reviewing the policies, I accepted the return and sent the recommended return label to the buyer.

However, I’m still waiting for the item to be returned, and I’m unsure about the next steps.

According to Australian policies, the item needs to be returned before I can issue a refund after inspecting it. If the buyer doesn’t return the item using the eBay-paid label, I’ll need to wait for eBay to close the case.

Additionally, what if the item is returned in a different condition (minus the claimed defect) or if fraudulent activity is suspected?

Any advice, guidance, and reassurance would be greatly appreciated. I hope this scenario can also help others in similar situations.

Thank you for your assistance!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Seeking guidance and reassurance – potential Item Reselling Fraud/Wardrobing Fraud scenario

@geminilion wrote:

Additionally, what if the item is returned in a different condition (minus the claimed defect) or if fraudulent activity is suspected?

Basically nothing but refund.

If you are TRS you can deduct up to 50% and withold the original shipping.

I'm not sure what you mean by suspected fraudulent activity. Someone either tries to pull a scam or doesn't.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

When the buyer files an INAD, doesn't matter what condition the item is in when returned, you'll have to refund.

They could send back an empty box and you'd have to refund.

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for your helpful response! I appreciate your initial guidance and clarification on eBay’s policies. I have since been informed to report the buyer to eBay through their official reporting process, which can be found under ‘Report a buyer’ in the Resolution Center, before deciding to issue any refund. This allows eBay to review the situation and take appropriate action. If eBay or PayPal determines that the buyer has engaged in fraudulent activity, they will restrict the buyer and their store from using eBay. I’ll continue to follow the process and provide any necessary documentation to ensure the issue is resolved. Thanks again for your support and advice!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thankyou for your assistance! I've since been advised to report the buyer to eBay through the 'Report a buyer' process in the Resolution Center before issuing a refund. This allows eBay to review and take appropriate action. If fraud is detected, the buyer and their store will be restricted. I'll follow the process and provide necessary documentation to resolve the issue. Thanks again for your support!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@geminilion  hopefully, the Australian eBay policies are the same as here in the US since it sounds like u r following US policy

Message 6 of 6
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: