cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search function

I am typing in very specific searches and its returning items not even closely related to that i typed in. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Search function

Best you can do is put any specific terms in quotes.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Search function

"Best match" sort order seems to provide more results than other searches lately.

Keep in mind that eBay considers keywords in item-specifics, not just titles, when deciding if a listing is a match for your search.

In some cases, eBay may consider alternative keywords, or may even correct your keyword spelling -- rightly or wrongly.

Using quotes around a single keyword can prevent any keyword substitutions or corrections. Grouping several keywords in quotes will force eBay to match a particular phrase.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Search function

Their search engine employs a set of rules. One, it does what's called "fuzzing" (look up 'Levenshtein distance'), where if it doesn't find an exact hit it "fuzzes" anything even remotely related. Another thing the search does is search mnemonics, so if you search "HP computer" and there's a Harry Potter computer mouse, that will appear. As people mentioned, best way is a literal search enclosed in quotes.

That said, even if the item's title is say "Cool Lamp Shade" and you search that in quotes it often still won't appear because their search is wonky and has been broken for years.  Stuff doesn't even appear in my Seller Hub when I type it in literally. You might try the "picclick" website as well, though it's bound to the same rules. Last ditch effort, try google. You can type this into google: site:ebay.com "cool lamp shade" and it will return listings that match (but again, not perfect).

Message 4 of 4
latest reply