cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why have I still not received my 1099k form for 2021?!

I am still waiting for my 1099k form that eBay said they would send me. I sold more than $600 in 2021, so I qualify and am required to submit one, but they just haven't sent it. I have it set where I can receive it through the mail and online. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 10.22.47 PM.png

It just says "No 1099k forms available."

Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 10.22.03 PM.png

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I just contacted eBay customer support, and they said that because the rule only applies to 2022, any revenue from 2021 was subject to the old rule of needing to sell $20,000 and 200 listings. I did not meet that threshold, so I don't need to pay any taxes for 2021. If you did meet those requirements, however, then you would file your taxes according to the old rule. Just be prepared for 2022 and keep track of your sales.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You are in Washington - I don't think a 1099k is required to be issued for 2021?

Requirements 2021 - The state of Washington does not require 1099-MISC, 1099-NEC, 1099-K, 1099-B, 1099-R and W-2 reporting at this time. The state does not collect income tax.

Hopefully someone else will be along shortly to confirm.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Even though the state of Washington does not collect state income tax, wouldn't the OP need the 1099K for his Federal income tax return?  

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

This is the shorth paragraph I have saved to try and help people with the 1099K question for the 2021 taz season. It seems concise.

*If your taxpayer information is associated with Massachusetts, Vermont, Maryland, Washington D.C., or Virginia we are required to issue a 1099-K and report to your state when you accept $600 or more. If your taxpayer information is associated with Illinois, we are required to issue a 1099-K and report to your state when you accept more than $1,000 with over 3 transactions. If your taxpayer information is associated with Missouri, we’ll issue a Form 1099-K if you processed $1,200 or more in a year.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I just contacted eBay customer support, and they said that because the rule only applies to 2022, any revenue from 2021 was subject to the old rule of needing to sell $20,000 and 200 listings. I did not meet that threshold, so I don't need to pay any taxes for 2021. If you did meet those requirements, however, then you would file your taxes according to the old rule. Just be prepared for 2022 and keep track of your sales.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Even though the state of Washington does not collect state income tax, wouldn't the OP need the 1099K for his Federal income tax return?  

Washington does not require a 1099K and one is not required in 2021 for sales under 20K. 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@originconsoles wrote:

It applies to 2022 and forward.  But you are INCORRECT about not owing taxes on what you may have earned on Ebay is 2021.

The mistake many make is the minimum thresholds are set for the FORM 1099K, it is NOT the minimum threshold for ALL income to be represented on your Federal Tax Report.  There are many ways to earn income and the minimum threshold on a SINGLE FORM does not set it for everything.

So YES if you have income from selling on Ebay or anywhere else, with or without a 1099K, you need to claim the income.  The IRS does NOT have a minimum threshold for reporting income.

It is a mistake many have made and likely before long IRS will be concerned about those in previous years that were just shy of reaching the 20K threshold and not claiming income on their tax returns.  Some sellers have said they never reported their income even though they earned 15K or even 19K.  It is unfortunate, but they may have some answering to do to the IRS.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

You may not qualify for a 1099, but you are still required to report your income. 

You can generate monthly reports if you were not keeping records yourself. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

That would explain why I didn't get one.  I waited for a month after they told me they sent me one, but it was wrong.  A heads up would have been helpful.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

fair reached eBay client bolster, and they said that since the run the show as it were applies to 2022, any income from 2021 was subject to the ancient run the show of requiring to offer $10,000 and 200 postings. I did not meet that edge, so I do not got to pay any charges for 2021. If you did meet those  necessitiesin any caseat that point you'd record your charges agreeing to the ancient run the showFair be arranged for 2022 and keep track of your  <a href="https://trackcourier.pk/call-courier-tracking-pakistan/">deals.</a> 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

That would explain why I didn't get one.  I waited for a month after they told me they sent me one, but it was wrong.  A heads up would have been helpful.

It was all over the threads in January and Ebay made an announcement too about it.  What I find odd is this coming up now.  Ebay handled this a couple months ago.

An email similar to this one was sent to all affected California sellers in the first week of February.

An incorrect 1099-K tax form for your 2021 sales was issued to you. 

A recent technical issue resulted in a 1099-K form being incorrectly provided to you. Please disregard the incorrect 1099-K form. The incorrect 1099-K form was not sent to the IRS or California Franchise Tax Board.

We’re working to resolve the issue and ensure that it will not happen again. Unless you had more than $20,000 in gross sales and 200 transactions in 2021, we will not submit a 1099-K form to the IRS or the California Franchise Tax Board.

We sincerely apologize for the error and any inconvenience this may have caused.

As always, thanks for selling on eBay, and for being part of the eBay community.

The eBay Selling Team

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@na_992077 wrote:

fair reached eBay client bolster, and they said that since the run the show as it were applies to 2022, any income from 2021 was subject to the ancient run the show of requiring to offer $10,000 and 200 postings. I did not meet that edge, so I do not got to pay any charges for 2021. If you did meet those  necessitiesin any caseat that point you'd record your charges agreeing to the ancient run the showFair be arranged for 2022 and keep track of your  <a href="https://trackcourier.pk/call-courier-tracking-pakistan/">deals.</a> 

You mean the rule when they started the 1099K form?  The first year of income reported on a 1099k was 2011.  And the minimum threshold from the inception of this form was $20,000 and/or 200 transactions [not postings].  Postings have never been a part of reporting income to the IRS.  I'm sure all of us have posted things that never sold or sold in the next year.  So when it is posted is never considered.

@na_992077  If you had income from selling on the internet, even if it is below the threshold for a FORM, that des not mean you aren't suppose to report it on your income tax reports.  There is no such exemption in the IRS rules.  

Message 12 of 12
latest reply