cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Jewelry

I would like if someone has advice on how to sell jewelry. I have some listed but no bites. Also I have more costume, vintage, and designer jewelry. Would like to know if it better to sell them as a bulk or individual.

thank you for any advice.

Lisa

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Selling Jewelry

@bellafortuna50 wrote:

Yes some are even less than what they sold at. Thank you for your suggestion.

God luck: and for sure work on the photos:

Such can be a pain getting focus, and lighting: I do know this....

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@bellafortuna50 wrote:

I would like if someone has advice on how to sell jewelry. I have some listed but no bites. Also I have more costume, vintage, and designer jewelry. Would like to know if it better to sell them as a bulk or individual.

thank you for any advice.

Lisa

How to sell is such that a great deal of jewel is sold on eBay:  easy to have your listing lost in such.

Better name stuff ;if not plain; is best individual.

A fast look at your listings better and clearer photos are needed.

Look up what you are selling and see what prices it brings in the sold items.

Are your prices comparable??

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@bellafortuna50 wrote:

God luck: and for sure work on the photos:

Such can be a pain getting focus, and lighting: I do know this....

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I finally tried to sell a group of similar brooches in a lot. All cat-centric and signed. Three looks. It was relisted 10 times. 

Alternately, the ceramics I sell as lots do well...so, it must be the jewelry category. 

As much of a pain as it is, my best luck has been with individuals, rather than groups. 

Find places in your home that have diffuse light and neutral backgrounds. Get "macro" shots of up-close details. Edit your photos to best reflect the way the items look under their best display. Run them past another set of eyes you trust and don't skimp on the description. SAY EVERYTHING. Even if there are flaws, by disclosing them up front, you save yourself a world of hassle. 

Best of luck. 

M

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thank you very much and the best of luck to you too.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I agree with the others, you do need to have very good pictures to the point that one can see the item as if they were holding it in their hands.  That can be a pretty good challenge.

That said, though, I've found in cleaning out my jewelry stock that most items outside of anything made of precious metals and real gemstones isn't going to bring all that much per piece.  Most people that run garage sales around my are will toss costume/paste jewelry out for 25c a piece, if that.  Consider that you're shipping the item too, so you won't get any bites for anything that fits that category. 

However, lots of such items are pretty popular on here.  I had a few more unique paste items go for a fair amount pretty quickly in a listing (search my forum posts, you'll see me asking about them).  Also noted in that thread by responders was that I probably could have moved stuff here as a lot that I ended up donating thinking it would be prohibitive for the shipping.

But overall, toss a bunch of similar stuff into a lot and make it so each item is about that quarter total, and it should move and give you a fair return.  Luckily you can ship a ton of jewelry cheap so you'll hit profit level pretty quickly.   Check everything though as you can pretty legitimately separate out jewelry with the precious metals (get solid pictures of the notation marks noting this!) and real gemstones and get some real bucks out of each one.

Hope that helps.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I have had better results selling individual pieces rather than selling in bulk.

Good photos is a plus and something I could do better at

Designer signed does better than unsigned

14k Gold has been more problematic than gold plated and more subject to scams unfortunately.

Sterling silver jewelry does well, as does southwestern styles.

If you aren't a gemologist, find one, so you can improve in the description of the gemstone you have.

<hr><a href="https://stores.ebay.com/grandmasjewelry123" target="_blank">https://stores.ebay.com/grandmasjewelry123 </a>

Message 8 of 8
latest reply