cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling all those with Semi-precious knowledge...

Is there a simple test to figure out if chatonyancy (cat's eye) is genuine stone or glass??

I have this lovely little vintage piece from Mexico , it's a carved onyx piece decorated with silver, turquoise, malachite, lapis, and tigers eye inlay, but it has this one cabochon and while I think it is most likely glass I want to be sure because I think real cat's eye is quite rare. I know certain stones but I am no expert and I don't know cat's eye at all

as always thanks in advance for the help...

these pictures where taken outside on a sunny day that had enough cloud cover to make it not overly bright.. I tried to get as close as I could and get as many angles as possible.. 

20240427_194408.jpg20240427_194418.jpg20240427_194455.jpg20240427_194517.jpg20240427_194544.jpg20240427_194612.jpg

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Hello. It can be a bear to take photos of cats-eye effects. I think it is probably either glass or dyed selenite. I hope this helps.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

yes quite challenging for photos.. I might just need to take it to my jewelry just for certain.. Didn't even think of selenite.. but it does have a beautiful cats eye effect..  but I just don't know enough about cat's eye.. appreciate you taking time out to answer

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Hello,

I've been working with jewelry and gemstones for 10 years, and here you are my thoughts.

Actually "cat's eye" is the effect of chatoyancy in a number of natural minerals.

Genuine cat's eye tourmaline or chrysoberyl is a pretty rare and expensive gemstone. I guess that apatite, quartz and diopside are the cheapest options with chatoyancy. You may find them on the web or eBay to compare.

What I see on the pictures doesn't look like any natural cat's eye gemstone I used to be acquainted with.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply