cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mine Cut Diamond Ring - possible

Found this at an estate sale, it is stamped either US or JS on the inside along with the 14kt stamp.   Any chance you can tell me whether this is a mine cut diamond. All the diamonds tested positive P1450064.JPGP1450066.JPGP1450069.JPGP1450070.JPGP1450073.JPG. All thoughts appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Mine Cut Diamond Ring - possible

@mimiwells  The only way you will know it by have it looked at by a jeweler. I don’t think anyone is qualified here to make that determination 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@mimiwells  The only way you will know it by have it looked at by a jeweler. I don’t think anyone is qualified here to make that determination 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I need more of a clear diamond picture. Mine cut means they cut the tip off.  Looks like a little hole in the middle. Hope this make sense.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Mine cut diamonds actually have a cushion like outline, in addition to the large culet (facet at the bottom point) that looks like a dark spot, as has been mentioned.  Round diamonds that have the high crown, deep pavilion, and large culet are called European cuts (regardless of where they were actually cut).

Generally, mine cuts were before 1900 and European cuts were 1900 to 1930ish.  But it was a constant improvement and refinement of the cut.  Early European cuts were close to mine cuts and late European cuts were close to modern round brilliant cuts.  Round brilliants even through the early 1950s often even have a different look than later brilliants.

And yes...we can't tell from a photo.  But...with a very good, enlarged photo, we could probably make a very good guess.  The setting looks very 1960s, so it very well could be an older diamond that was reset into a "modern" setting then.  Now we would call it "retro-modern".

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I would guess Euro cut, picture is too fuzzy to really tell though.  Any nice jeweler would tell you for no charge, if you walk in and ask.  you could also google 'Round diamond cuts', and compare to what they show.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thanks I did and he said he was unsure as he never dealt with old mine cuts.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

As someone who ran a retail jewelry store for over 40 years...that's a terrible answer.  Find a better jeweler.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply