cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller selling fake Silver Eagle coins

I recently ordered 10 Silver eagle coins.  Today I removed some of the coins from the plastic round containers they were in and could immediately tell they were fakes.  Coins were too thick, to wide, weighed to little and the details were off.  I just requested a refund from ebay and sent the coins back to the seller.  Also, I see that the seller sold 138 lots of the same counterfeit coins.  Is Ebay going to cancel the sellers account. Is Ebay going to notify all of the buyers to check their coins.  If not, shame on ebay. 

I spent a good amount of time on ebay today trying to figure out how to get hold of a live person at ebay to no avail.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Just use eBay's ironclad and automated Money Back Guarantee.  Open an Item Not As Described Case and get a full refund. 

eBay is not going to do anything based on a phone call or a report, for a number of good reasons.  But eBay does note INAD cases, and they do negatively impact a seller.

-

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Never buy American Eagle coins that use stock photos and I would argue just avoid American Eagle coins on eBay all together and stick to like junk silver and other less counterfeited choices.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

I would not buy any US Gold or Silver Coins made in China.  They are probably only gold or silver plated.

This has been going on for years and years.  

Here is an article from 2014 showing the difference between one made at a US Mint and one made in China.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/fake-proof-silver-american-eagles-from-china.html

Can you tell the real from the fake? 

stephenmorgan_0-1674602799500.png      stephenmorgan_1-1674602879363.png

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

So, can't tell from your message, but did you actually open an item not as described case? 

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

You should actually report them the the Secret Service.  Here is a link from the FBI warning about the fakes and they provide links to report them to different agencies.

You have name and address of who you got them from so it should be a fairly easy report to submit.  If you do this you may want to hold onto you coin because you may need to turn it over to them.  The Alert advises you to report this to your online payment provider or credit card company.

https://www.ic3.gov/Media/Y2021/PSA210909

September 09, 2021

Alert Number

I-090921-PSA

Questions regarding this PSA should be directed to your local FBI Field Office.

Local Field Office Locations: www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices

The FBI Warns the Public of Counterfeit Coin Scams

The FBI and the Department of Treasury are warning the public that counterfeit coins are being sold on various online auction, social media and retail websites, targeting investors and collectors. There are three types of counterfeit coins: transactional coins (quarters, dimes, etc.), numismatics (high value collectables), and bullion (precious metals). Online advertisements used by scammers claim the coins are authentic; however, consumers are receiving fake coins and precious metals.

Online estimates reveal that consumers spend millions of dollars buying valuable or rare coins, but most receive near-worthless foreign-made counterfeits. An increasing number of counterfeit coins are being seized at US ports-of-entry. For example, in April 2021, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers at Chicago’s international mail facility seized 279 shipments from China containing counterfeit coins and currency. In 2020, CBP seized over $1.64 million in counterfeit cash and coins at Chicago O’Hare International Airport.

Scammers capitalized on the financial uncertainty and nation-wide coin shortage brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic to take advantage of amateur investors online. Many victims find purchasing online an easy method to make investments, as they can easily find what they are looking for, pay cheaper prices and have their investments delivered right to their door. Do not let online scammers rob you of your investment. Protect your wallet and your personal data by purchasing from reputable, registered coin dealers. If you decide to purchase outside this venue, ensure that the coins are tested by a certified organization, before making a purchase.

The FBI reminds readers to always research online sellers before buying coins and precious metals online. Check online reviews and Better Business Bureau complaints before making a purchase. Protect your investments by dealing with reputable companies and dealers.

If you believe that you are the victim of a counterfeit coin scheme, immediately report the activity to the online payment provider or credit card company used for the transaction. All identified Counterfeit coins involving U.S. currency should be reported to your local U.S. Secret Service office which can be found at https://www.secretservice.gov/contact/field-offices. You can also file a complaint with the U.S. Treasury Office of Inspector General at https://forms.treasury.gov/treasuryforms/Form?templateID=a1Qt00000028jF0EAI. All non-currency coins and bullion should be reported to the Anti-Counterfeiting Task Force at https://acefonline.org/counterfeit-alert/report-a-counterfeit and all cyber-related scams at the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.ic3.gov.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Yes I did open an item not as described case and I mailed the fake coins back to the seller.  No response from the seller.   As I stated above, 138 other people bought the same auction I did.  Coins came in individual round plastic holder and small zip lock type bag.  That's $40K+ theft. 

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Ebay is not going to notify anyone. Ebay would lose their commissions.  There isn't much that you can do to alert others.  Bidder's IDs are hidden now. Years ago, I would contact winners of diecast cars that they won and I knew that they were repainted.  Now, you can't warn anyone.  I truly believe that is the reason that IDs are hidden by Ebay.   Open an item not as described case.  Follow the prompts.  Get your refund. If the possibility is available to post a negative and you know 100% that the coins are fakes, then give the seller a negative but do not mention refund or return or Ebay stepped in.  Just write, " Seller is a scammer selling fake coins."   That's it.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

There isn't much that you can do to alert others.  Bidder's IDs are hidden now. Years ago, I would contact winners of diecast cars that they won and I knew that they were repainted.  Now, you can't warn anyone.  I truly believe that is the reason that IDs are hidden by Ebay.”

I agree 100%.  

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

I just got a 2022 “silver Eagle” that didn’t use stock photos but when I got it I thought it was off. So dad weighed it and despite the anti counterfeit mark being right, it’s not weighing enough. Gonna take it by the coin store tomorrow to verify before I report to eBay. Just curious what year yours was?

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

I just received a fake 2023 from  this  Individual.  Weight is 31.01 g.  Diamwmeter is close, but it's a little thicker.  Details are off.  It fails a ping test, as well.  Wrote seller an he immediately sent me a refund... but it prevents me from leaving feedback.

Screenshot_20230314-221044_eBay.jpg

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

I spotted one completely new seller out of China yesterday selling 5 2023 Silver Eagles and another seller out of a different city in China with the same listing who had about 100 stars.
I don't think reporting it to eBay will do any good... There is an active and strong seller who keeps using the best pictures possible for Morgan dollars stating that it is the coin the bidder will receive. The last I looked, they had over 350 revised feedbacks (if a customer calls them out on the fraud, they bribe the customer to revise the feedback). same thing here--eBay makes money off their fraud, so not much action.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Why shouldn't these Chinese nations keep selling counterfeit coins on ebay? I bought bad coins as well on ebay and know the drill.  If you complain, the same old system that has protected counterfeiting for 30 years kicks in and they get away with it gain. NO CONSEQUENCE.   NO SECRET SERVICE AGENTS KICKING DOWN THE DOOR. No FBI investigation, no fraud alert, no news medi investigation, just guys like us venting to each another.  Ebay is getting rich of the fees.  They think there as smary as the counterfeiting rings selling on there site.

They think their reputation is still intact. But counterfeiting on ebay is slowly destroying there / our credibility as sellers, buyer's, and is slowly destroying the price of goods for legitimate dealers.   Untill there's a class action suit or the feds or maybe the media get involved, it's business as usual on ebay.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

There’s a bunch of fake coins from China being sold on eBay. Only buy from a reputable seller and if it seems to cheap there’s probably a good reason. 

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

There are a bunch of fake coins sold on the internet, period.  And fake stamps.  I have a bunch of those fake Silver Eagle coins I purchased probably two years ago. 

I did not buy mine on eBay though, so beware they are everywhere.  Not sure I would even be comfortable purchasing any more silver dollars online.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 35
latest reply